This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

File Icon's - What's going on?

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Why have all the MP3 file icons on my CD been substituted by Internet Explorer icons? LoL
[external image: Posted Image] to [external image: Posted Image]

Thank You That is all.
Hi Manicd Well, I hope you like Internet Explorer…. ^_^ Ok, jokes aside! It might happen if your ShellIconCache file have been corrupted in some way. A easy way of restoring your ShellIconCache file is to change the color-depth setting, and reverse to your original color-depth setting. This procedure will clear the cache, and create new values. To change color-depth: Right-click on your desktop, choose properties. Click settings tab Change the color bit to 16bit if using 32 or vice versa. Click apply and accept the changes. Now you can reverse back to your original setting again, using the procedure above. Hope this helps. Regards Abydos
Hi Abydos Lets just say Im not keen on I.E :lol: I followed your instructions and its fixed the problem, thank you very much. Kind Regards
Hello again Abydos The problem still persists. I followed your instructions and it did temporarily fix the problem but now its back Is there any more advice you could give pleas on how to solve this? Thanks Kind Regards
Hi Manicd

That indicates to me, that your ShellIconcache doesn't update
correctly.

Correct this by follow this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db

Rename IconCache.db to IconCache.db.old. (Or delete the folder, but its safer just to rename it.)

Reboot, and windows will re-create a new Iconcache.db folder.
Locate the new folder so you know its there, then delete the IconCache.db.old folder.

See if that will fix the problem.

Regards Abydos
Hi

It hasn't worked I'm afraid. :(

Locate the new folder so you know its there, then delete the IconCache.db.old folder.


There was no folder just a file labelled IconCache.
Hi Manicd

Was there a folder to start with you could rename?

If so, try delete the contents of that folder, and remove the .old

Regards Abydos
Hi Abydos

Was there a folder to start with you could rename?


No I got up to this file C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\ and then there was just the IconCachefile
[attachment removed]


Regards Manicd
Hi Abydos

That file should do.

You mean the IconCache file & then follow the procedure above (rename, verify and delete.)
I have already done this.


Regards Manic D
Hang on there seems to be another IconCache file here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data should I try your method on the file located here?
Hi Manicd

hmm, the path I posted earlier should have done it.

But you can try. Just remember to verify that Windows have created a new file,
before deleting anything. Also check that icons works as they should.

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI