Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91703 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Virus alert in taskbar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

Hi BluNov,

Yes, the detection will be part of SmitfraudFix, we'll clean up the tools now:

Download OTCleanIt to your Desktop
Double-click it to run the program, and press the CleanUp! button.
When prompted, allow your computer to be rebooted.

That should clean the tools we have used from your computer, you can also delete the log files from your Desktop.

Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
Press Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
Next click Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
Press OK and Yes to confirm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above went well, I think your machine is clean of malware :) here are some tips to help you keep it that way:

You have a good antivirus/firewall program installed, however I recommend you install antispyware software with real-time capabilities - this means it protects you from system changes and spyware while you are working, not just removing malware after it has been installed. There are a range of paid-for and free packages available, a free one I can recommend is Windows Defender, available here:
http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

I recommend you install a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
Also: subscribe to the mailing list to get update notifications.

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware - this includes allowing websites to install browser plug-ins or ActiveX controls. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.

Find out more about how to prevent infection in the future
http://forum.malware...pic.php?p=33687

Please post back to let me know that you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
ASAP & UNITE Member

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 BluNov

BluNov

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

Actually, I have one last problem, my clock is now 24hrs mode, I i don't know how to change it back, and I am unable to set the correct time zone, am only getting one option which is some where called La Paz, (I don't live there). And my system clock is off because of the problem describe below. I have inserted a picture of it. P.S. I saw that you use Ubuntu, I have a problem with Ubuntu (I have it on a separate drive, and my XP drive and Ubuntu drive is never connected at the same time), therefore they don't 'known' about each other. However today when I loaded Ubuntu it worked for a while (seemingly random period of time) then it restarts and keeps restarting at the bios (looping). How there is the interesting thing. When I disconnect the Ubuntu dive and connect the XP drive it does the same thing. I cleared the bios (manually, by removing the battery because even when I try entering the bios thru del, it was restarting). This is the first time I loaded Ubuntu in a while. Now even more interesting is, that last year November was my first 'cup of Ubuntu'. I was run XP and Ubuntu on different drives, but they were connected to the mother board at the same time (unlike now). Worked fine for a while, about a week, and then my system when nuts, with the same restarting problem describe above, I tested different components of my PC, believing it was a hardware problem (I am a technician...newbie :blush: ), everything (RAM, video card, Power Supply, and other stuff) check out so I concluded it was the motherboard, When out bought a new board, RAM, CPU, and Video Card, because my new board was not compatible with the old hardware (even Power Supply just in case the old one was faulty). This is the new stuff I am using now (duh)............anyway do you have any idea what will cause this, Am guessing its Ubuntu (which sucks because i really love it), because it's a totally new hardware set up (well except for the HDD and CD drives) Also I have a UPS. Now I know this is not the forum for this but I am just 'throwing a line', maybe you can direct me to a forum that deal with these issues. (I will go in the bios and fix the the date and time (It currently says January 2002)) Also am surprise that clearing the bios worked, because I believe that I tried that the first time, and it didn't work.

Attached Thumbnails

• date___time.JPG

#18 BluNov

BluNov

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

I read your last post only after I posted my problem(s) above so, I'll wait until you reply before taking any actions.

#19 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi BluNov,

I don't know what could cause the rebooting problem but it certainly sounds like hardware rather than an OS problem. Has the rebooting occurred on your new setup? There are support forums here at WhattheTech for dealing with almost anything and I'm sure the Tech Team will be glad to help you with the problem.

After you set the correct date/time in your BIOS, please try this:

Use ERUNT to back up your registry again:
  • If necessary, download ERUNT to your Desktop (right-click the link, select Save Target As..., select your Desktop and press Save)
  • Right-click erunt.zip, choose Extract All... and follow the prompts to unzip the program
  • Open the erunt folder on your Desktop and double-click ERUNT.exe to start the program
  • OK all the prompts to back up your registry to the default location.
Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Next click Start->Run and type intl.cpl in the box and press OK
Under Regional Options->Standards and formats, there is a drop-down list of countries and regions.
Change the setting to your region and press OK
If your region is already correctly set, choose another region, press Apply, then choose your region and press OK

Next, download timezones_xp.zip to your Desktop
Extract the timezones.reg file to your Desktop, double-click it and allow it to merge with the registry.

Then, reboot and see if there has been any improvement.
ASAP & UNITE Member

#20 BluNov

BluNov

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Ok its fixed, so i'll follow the previous instructions and proceed with the clean up.

#21 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

Great :)
ASAP & UNITE Member

#22 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

How are you getting on?
ASAP & UNITE Member

#23 BluNov

BluNov

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

Great actually, my system seems to be back to normal...thanks a mill man!!

#24 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

Glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know :)
ASAP & UNITE Member

#25 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
ASAP & UNITE Member

Advertisements

Register to Remove