Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Popup Ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#16 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hi Skoly, are you still after help here?

Proud Graduate of the TC/WTT Classroom

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 skoly

skoly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi Skoly, are you still after help here?

Yes sir. I am a bit confused though. Doesn't XP have it's own built in firewall? Do I still need ZoneAlarm(or similar) on top of that?

Thanks.

#18 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Although Windows does have it's own firewall, it is considered by many that this on it's own is not enough. It is for that reason that I recommend you install a third-part firewall like the ones I mentioned (and then disable Windows Firewall to eliminate conflicts between the two). However, if you are using a Router, you will have a hardware firewall in there, and then it could be sufficient to be using Windows Internal Firewall. Only if this is the case would I say that you can leave your firewall status as it is and not install another. How is the computer running at the moment? Did you complete all the other steps in my last post?

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#19 skoly

skoly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Although Windows does have it's own firewall, it is considered by many that this on it's own is not enough. It is for that reason that I recommend you install a third-part firewall like the ones I mentioned (and then disable Windows Firewall to eliminate conflicts between the two).

However, if you are using a Router, you will have a hardware firewall in there, and then it could be sufficient to be using Windows Internal Firewall. Only if this is the case would I say that you can leave your firewall status as it is and not install another.

How is the computer running at the moment? Did you complete all the other steps in my last post?

I do have a wireless router, so I did not install a 3rd party firewall.

I was able to boot in safe mode and I did all the other steps. The computer seem better but I'm still getting "Resources are Low" messages from XP.

#20 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi

As far as I can see, all your malware problems are gone. Luckily, this is not the end of our expertise here at WhatTheTech. We have tech helpers working in other areas of this site that will be more than happy to assist with the other problems that you are experiencing.
So, I recommend you start a new topic in one of the following forums:
Microsoft Windows
General Hardware

Describe what problems you are having, and include a link to this topic so they can see what has already been done.

The response time over there is usually very good, and you should be receiving expert help from one of our advisers shortly. Before posting over there, please complete these last steps as to help prevent future infections.

You can now delete any tools I had you download and use.

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK
Now that your system appears to be clean, theres just a few steps I'd like you to take to prevent any future infections.
  • System restore:
    We will now clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.
    Make sure you do this now, as your System Restore currently has infected files in it.

• Keeping your Windows up-to-date is crucial to your computer's security. Please go to the Windows Update Site (using Internet Explorer) and download and install all critical updates on a regular basis.

• Make sure you update your Anti-Virus software regularly, new viruses are being developed all the time.

• Some more programs that it would be useful to have [OPTIONAL but RECOMMENDED]:
    Download Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5 from here
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.

SpywareBlaster is another real-time scanner that prevents most spyware from even being installed.
    Freely available: Download SpywareBlaster

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.
Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein: So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Glad we could be of assistance.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.

Stay Clean!

jpshortstuff

Posted Image

#21 teacup61

teacup61

MalwareTeam Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?
Posted Image