Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Something is downloading from net by itself

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

I looked for a link to order the CD, I guess not hard enough. Thanks for posting those.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 LisaF

LisaF

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

More good info! You guys are amazing - I've ordered the CD. You might think that this info is straightforward stuff, but you've just saved me so much time (and downloads and therefore money!) which is great!

#33 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

You might think that this info is straightforward stuff, but you've just saved me so much time (and downloads and therefore money!) which is great!

It is rarely straightforward, which keeps it interesting, and a continuing learning process. I learned the locations to order the CDs!!! :)

And the occasional post like yours above makes the lousy pay worth it. ;)
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#34 LisaF

LisaF

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Hello again, all too soon I think I've got a problem....well I do have a problem, I'm just wondering if it 's related to anything that I've recently done here? I was trying to update my Windows Media Player from version 10 to 11 (not a good idea I now realise when the file size was 30Mb or so - anyway I did) and the installation did not work. I have attached screen shots of the error messages, Attached File  media_player_error.doc   89KB   15 downloads but the problem was to do with something called DBexport. I have searched on Google and I don't understand the information I have been able to find. The Windows error message said to try again, and I did that but it has just downloaded the files again (I'll be over my limit this month - yes, what a silly idea this was!) and it again failed to work. What do you think my best option is now? Should I completely uninstall Media Player and install from scratch? Any good ways to get rid of all the files that I've just downloaded? I feel as though I had done a spring clean on my system and now its full of rubish. Regards, Lisa

#35 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

Lisa, look at this post, see if it works for you. http://zachd.com/pss...ml#medialibrary

I don't see any redistributable package for WMP 11 so it looks like you need to download the stupid thing each time you try to install it, which does not seem feasible for your restricted downloads.

Maybe you're best bet is to completely uninstall WMP11 and stay with WMP 10. Does WMP 11 show up in Add or Remove Programs? If not, try using the System Restore point that the WMP 11 install should have created for you the first time you tried this to go back to before you installed it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#36 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

When installing WMP11 from the website, are you selecting Run? Or Save? If Run, choose Save, then select a folder to put it. All my downloads go to a folder I created called, My Downloads - I find even I can remember that. ;) Then I decide how I want to proceed, what needs to be shut down, what needs to be uninstalled first, etc. I never select the "Run" option. I found going to WMP11 a bit painful too - I had to roll back to WMP10 twice. But I never lost anything. I went back a few days later and made sure all my drivers and updates were current, no malware, etc. and WMP11 has been running good for some time now.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#37 LisaF

LisaF

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:17 AM

You know sometimes computers (and almost all the time my ISP) drives me nuts! Despite the error messages I got when installing WMP11, it is actually working. I hadn't tried it after getting all those errors but when I was considering uninstalling it I thought I'll just try it and see what happens - and it worked! When I play music/video that's already on my PC that is. But I downloaded a music file from my ISP's website (it doesn't count toward usage from their site) and the file itself downloaded to my PC but the licence didn't. I called the ISP to try to sort it out and the first thing they're wanting me to do is change my browser security settings back to default and to allow pop-ups. I asked her if she knew what the problem was (it was a runtime error on their website) and she said she didn't but she needed me to go through these steps. I said I wasn't going to change these settings given the recent problems I've had, especially as I didn't think that doing this would fix the problem (the licence isn't going to be a pop-up is it?!), she then wanted me to download files from the Microsoft website to try to fix the problem (which is probably going to be more helpful). I said I'll have to wait till my next month's usage comes around (13 days to go). So I'll just leave it as is for the moment, it's not really important to me, just would be nice to have it work. Oh, and I did click "Run" when downloading, and I notice that it saved all the files to a Temp file somewhere - next time I'll download to my own folder as you've suggested and then I'll know exactly where it is. Thanks, Lisa

#38 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

Even when you download, save, and then run, it might create a bunch of temporary files, but it should clean them up when done. You may need to enable the popups but you should be able to do that just for the sites you trust, or for that individual page - usually by press the Ctrl key and clicking on the link.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────