Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Computer Running Slow - Hard Drive Chugging Away

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#16 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

Hi Gringo, Sorry about the wrong log. Here is the Malwarebytes log which may not be much use as it's from the Quick Scan. My computer shut down again when I tried a full scan though it will do a full scan in safe mode if required. Things seem a bit easier now but I feel they should be better than at present. I will now delete the files/folders you require. Are you able to help me with my other problem which is that my Task Manager isn't able to close any applications or do I need to repost my original problem - see my first post in this thread. Thanks again, Norman Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.17 Database version: 846 14:31:28 13/06/2008 mbam-log-6-13-2008 (14-31-28).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 38850 Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 55 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi Gringo, Sorry about the wrong log. Here is the Malwarebytes log which may not be much use as it's from the Quick Scan. My computer shut down again when I tried a full scan though it will do a full scan in safe mode if required. Things seem a bit easier now but I feel they should be better than at present. I will now delete the files/folders you require. Are you able to help me with my other problem which is that my Task Manager isn't able to close any applications or do I need to repost my original problem - see my first post in this thread. Thanks again, Norman Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.17 Database version: 846 14:31:28 13/06/2008 mbam-log-6-13-2008 (14-31-28).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 38850 Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 55 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)

#18 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Gringo, I have now deleted the file and folders as per your instructions. Regards, Norman

#19 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hello norman Just to let you know I am checking on somethings to try for the taskmanager but it is not my area of Specialty be back later today to let you know one way or the other. Gringo

#20 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi Gringo, OK, I will await to hear from you. Norman

#21 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hello norman

My computer shut down again when I tried a full scan

I talked to the author of the program about this and he siad it was a known problem with this vision and will be fixed soon

Are you able to help me with my other problem which is that my Task Manager isn't able to close any applications or do I need to repost my original problem

I looked around for an answer to this problem and didn't realy find anything I could use, so I will pass you to the tech guys to keep trying things but you can tell them that there is no more malware on your system.

your old post is here

http://forums.whatth...648#entry461648

This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware ;)- Please let me know if you still are having problems with your computer and what these problems are

:Time for some housekeeping:
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK
  • Posted Image

:remove tools:
  • Let's clear out the programmes we've been using to clean up your computer, they are not suitable for general malware removal and could cause damage if used inappropriately.

Please download OTMoveIt and save it to desktop.
  • Double click OTMoveIt.exe to launch the programme.
  • Click on the CleanUp! button.
  • OTMoveIt will download a list from the Internet, if your firewall or other defensive programmes alerts you, allow it access.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • When finished exit out of OTMoveIt
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

:Set correct settings for files:
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

:clear system restore points:
  • This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
  • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
  • Select the More options tab
  • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

:Make your Internet Explorer more secure:please visit this page that gives instructions to do this
http://surfthenetsaf.../ieseczone8.htm

:Turn On Automatic Updates:
Turn On Automatic Updates
1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
2. Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them

If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site that apply to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not notified or interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.

or visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Also please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Now you have followed my advice - it's time to lodge a complaint against what you have suffered.........

Malware Complaints
If you were infected .... Stand Up and be Counted.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can then be closed.

Gringo

#22 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

Hi Gringo, I've now carried out your recommendations listed in your last post and hope that I and my computer will live happily ever after! If you recall, you advised that I deleted the various malware protection I had installed (both paid and free software) and download Malwarebytes. As this programme shut down my computer whenever it ran can you suggest another malware programme I should now use as at the moment, I am unprotected? I still have the issue of a non working task manager which I shall revert to my original post and hopefully, attract some help. Thank you for all your help to date. Regards, Norman

#23 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hello norman

As this programme shut down my computer whenever it ran can you suggest another malware programme I should now use as at the moment, I am unprotected?

yes you are protected winpatrol is one of the best antispyware around for real time protection pluss it has alot of other features that you will find useful.
the malwarebytes program is an on demand scanner that even in quick mode is better than most around, I would still keep it and every time you use make sure you update it and all will be fine

still have the issue of a non working task manager which I shall revert to my original post and hopefully, attract some help.

yes I seen you went back to your old thread and someone should be back soon

be safe
Gringo

#24 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.