I cannot install a virus protection. avg 8. nor can I delete it so I cannot install anything ie,The older version again. I'm so upset. Help me I have no protection. please please. upset
So far' I have uninstalled old version avg7.5 and unsuccessful to install 8. tried to piece delete8.. Draged folder to another place . that worked now I have two folders with around 8 dlls in them I cant delete them. now I cannot install avg8 at all cause I have them. it says it is running but it is not running. I found site to download 7.5. tried to install that. nope same problem. SO now. I have no virus protection. I got 30 day trial of mcafee. but. it took 12 hours to scan. then the next day when I tried to scan again it was at 13 hours so I uninstalled that. I do not want it.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:43:26 PM, on 5/7/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Welcome to the Whatthetech Malware Removal Forum Sorry for the delay in responding but we have logs coming out our ears. Let me tell ya straight up that removing the wrong entry or entries with HJT can bork your computer big time, plus by removing what ever you did you erased any clues that may point to an infection,
I tweaked the hijack this thing on my own too. Just removed missing files. you should never remove anything without supervision
Lets restore what you removed
To restore the backups:
Open HiJackThis
Click on "View the list of Backups"
Place a check mark next to anything you want to restore <– Check it all
Click Restore
Click Yes
Reboot your computer
Post a new HJT log after you restore the backups, if the log is clean ( like it is now ) than this is a windows or software issue and I can direct you to some windows support sites that can help you.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:57:12 PM, on 5/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Nothing to worry about, it looks like the entries you removed and then restored are related to AVG Anti Virus and it looks like it's no longer running.
Lets do this, the version of HJT you have is outdated so uninstall it by going to the Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then lets download and install the latest version by Trendmicro.
C:\Program Files\hijackthis <– Delete this folder if still present after you uninstall the old version before you install the new
Download Trendmicros Hijackthis to your desktop.
Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe
Then remove these with the new version of HJT
Open HijackThis > Do a System Scan Only, close your browser and all open windows including this one, the only program or window you should have open is HijackThis, check the following entries and click on Fix Checked.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:32:09 PM, on 5/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal
Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:06:27 PM, on 5/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal
Original problem, unsolved.
I cannot install avg8. The computer refuses to delete all the old versions and I cannot install my favorite avg. I want the Free one. If not that one. what other free virus protection would you recommend?
Still here, we work through until your clean. I see you have Panda running , thats great.
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Remove this entry with HJT. R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
Malwarebytes removed entries for popcap, games from there site are not recommended. It did not find any serious infections. The rest of your log looks fine If your not happy with Panda and want another program thats your prerogative.
Run this system cleaner as you may have a bunch of junk built up on your system
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to your desktop.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
Your system may start up slower after running ATF Cleaner, this is expected but will be back to normal after the first or second boot up
We only do malware removal in this forum so I am linking you to a AVG forum that can help you with your installation issue with AVG http://freeforum.avg.com/
How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
Thank you, Ken. I did all you instructed. My computer runs better now.
I'm still up in the air about my anti-virus protection. I loved my avg free. Now that the free one, avg 8, does not protect as well, I do not know what I will do.
* How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
* WhattheTech
* TonyKlein CastleCops
* Grinler BleepingComputer
* GeeksTo Go
* Dslreports
I read IT ALL!! TA DA.. Now..
Now. another issue has arisen. I guess I did not notice this afore time. When I am reading pages, words are underlined and a little image comes up, an advertisement. Many times I would go to it thinking I would get more info about it. WELL….. BEEP BEEP WRONG! my Panda deleted the cookie monster, a tracking cookie monster.
Now, I am trying to make this short but can't, he ha , ,,, How do I stop these little images from coming up as I scroll the page. Is this because I have Firefox or java script?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI