Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91637 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] I was recommended to come here and have my HJT log che

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#16 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

If the above didn't correct your situation, you'll need a fresh copy of the hal.dll from your XP CD

Here's How: (put the correct XP CD into your CD ROM unit)
When prompted (Press "any" key to boot from CD)

1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
  • Boot From the Windows XP CD
  • Allow Windows XP to Begin the Setup Process
  • Press R to Enter Recovery Console
  • Choose the Windows Installation (you will probably only have one selection)
  • Enter the Administrator Password (probably blank or nothing), so just press enter unless you know that your machine has a password for the Administrator

2. When you reach the command prompt (detailed above), type the following and then press Enter:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll <-- notice the required space after the word "expand" and also between "_" and "c"

Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.

3. If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y.

4. Remove the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

If Windows doesn't start for you from the above two suggestions, then we may need to post over into the Hardware Forum for additional assistance.

Ken will give you instructions about whether or not it is time to move over to Hardware Forum, or if there are additional instructions you are to follow here, first.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Okay.. I just went out and borrowed a friend's recovery CD for XP Home. Can I use that?

#18 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Probably.

XP installation CD's and computers are "finicky".

You need the exact same "flavor" of XP CD.

For instance, an XP Home installation from Dell would not necessarily work if your machine is Toshiba or Sony or HP.

Most importantly, is that you use Home or Pro, depending on what your machine has installed at this time.

The good news..........

You can't hurt anything by trying the XP CD.
The worst that will happen is that the machine will complain to you that it is not the right CD and refuse to allow it.

Just remember that we are using Recovery Console (by pressing R) and not attempting to freshly install XP.

#19 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hi, Doug.. Thank you for helping out. One question↓↓ How do I select the partition space for XP setup? It's asking me to select one item from the list: -: Partition1 <EISA Utilities> C: Partition2 [NTFS] D: Partition3 [NTFS] This is all very confusing... I feel like I don't know what I'm doing :(

Edited by az0028, 09 May 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#20 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

Atribune.. I'm not sure what did VundoFix find exactly, but it said I have over 3,000 infected files (the list was very long). I was shocked by the number, but I just assumed that it's normal for an infected computer. Thanks for looking into this:) -Erina

Edited by az0028, 09 May 2008 - 11:02 PM.

#21 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

Your question suggests that you pressed "Enter" instead of selecting "R" - then press Enter

Have a look at the image below (it is from my XP Pro machine, but Home is the same, except Home instead of Pro)
Posted Image

#22 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Erina, This kind of thing can be intimidating to anyone. Your machine isn't booting the way you ordinarily experience it. And you are being asked to go places you haven't been before, and complete procedures that you may not have done before. Take it one step at a time and ask questions as necessary. The instructions are safe, but it is OK to decide that you'd rather have a local tech do the procedures for you. We'll help with your questions as needed. Best Regards,

#23 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

The next screen you should see, is the following:
Posted Image

You should only see (1) one numbered item 1: C:\Windows

Therefore, at this screen, type the number 1 and then press Enter

You should next find yourself at a screen with a blinking cursor where you can type in the phrases from my above instructions.

Ask questions as necessary.

#24 Atribune

Atribune

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

Which language OS is installed on the machine, i want to do some testing tomorrow.

I dont believe replacing hal.dll will help you will likely need to do a complete repair install.
Instructions can be found here : http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Edited by Atribune, 09 May 2008 - 11:24 PM.

#25 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Thank you for your patience with me :D My screen looks a bit different from yours.. I took a picture of the screen for you to see, it's the first thing that came up and I never had a chance to press neither Enter nor R. Are you at all familiar with this?

Attached Thumbnails

• Image020_00.jpg

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Yes, that is a screen from the sequence of installing XP.
You would have had to press "R" earlier in the sequence to enter Recovery Console.
You may want to back out, and try the sequence again to see if you can select "R" for Recovery Console.

On the otherhand, Attribune is a respected expert whose judgment I trust.

Best Regards

#27 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

It's strange.. There's no "Welcome to set up" screen for me, I was led directly into the sequence page. :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: is it possible that the CD is made specifically for re-installing XP, not for recovery?

Edited by az0028, 10 May 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#28 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

Which language OS is installed on the machine, i want to do some testing tomorrow.

How can I check?

#29 Atribune

Atribune

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

Unfortunately I don't know any way to check from outside of windows. Entries like this " C:\Documents and Settings\Kanyasiri\スタート メニュー\プログラム\ " from your logs make me think that Windows is in an Asian language. I just need to know which one so I can do some testing.

#30 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

Oh, that...my Windows is in Japanese