This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Help from a newbie - broadband download

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been reading some instructions so I am hoping I have it right. I have downloaded Hijack This and have saved a log as instructed. Have contacted Avast and they suggested Hijack This so I am hoping this will be ok for you guys. I am having problems with the fact that my download limit is being used within the first 2 to 4 days. My download limit is 2gb on cable but I don't download movies, videos, audios. I mostly look at various news sites and receive emails. I am on one forum. If I do absolutely next to nothing I am fine for the month. I have copied the log if someone can let me know if I am running something that may be interferring with my download, otherwise I may have to increase the amount of download I use, but I don't have lot of money so I am hoping that this won't need to happen.

This is the log file:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:50:15 AM, on 1/05/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinFast\WFTVFM\WFWIZ.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4\OpwareSE4.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.optuszoo.com.au/welcome
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by OptusNet
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFast Schedule] C:\Program Files\WinFast\WFTVFM\WFWIZ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4\OpwareSE4.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: PIXMA Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

PS I am having an awful lot of trouble with IE lately too, not sure if this could be one of the reasons for the download limit etc. :blush:

I don't know much about what I am supposed to be running etc. and people are asking me what I am running so please be patient with me . Much appreciated
Hi! Welcome to the forums.
My name is Scotty. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research.
Please be patient.

Please make a uninstall list using HijackThis
To access the Uninstall Manager you would do the following:

1. Start HijackThis
2. Click on the Config button
3. Click on the Misc Tools button
4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
5. Click on the Save list… button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad here in a reply.
Hi Scotty I thought that is what I did in the above post, the log was pasted into this post. Please let me know if this is the log you needed. Thanks tina
Read my instructions closely. Im not asking for another HijackThis log, Im asking you to create an uninstall list using HijackThis. That way I can see what programs are installed and direct you to remove bad ones, useless ones and update the outdated. :popcorn: p.s Im waiting on advice from someone better but do you have any idea what this is about? C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP <—– :huh:
Hi Scotty with respect to the latter question I have no idea what this is. I am not that computer literate, well I use to be once but the advancement in software etc. left me way behind :blush:. I shall endeavour to the other bit now. Have done I shall now cut and paste it here. Cheers Tina Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Adobe Reader 8.1.2 avast! Antivirus Bible Database 5.1 Canon MP Navigator EX 1.0 Canon MP210 series Canon My Printer Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint EX Canon Utilities Solution Menu DeepBurner v1.8.0.224 Digital Camera Google Earth Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB888111 Hijackthis 1.99.1 HijackThis 1.99.1 Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864) Hotfix for Windows XP (KB914440) Hotfix for Windows XP (KB915865) Icatch(IV) Camera Driver Java™ 6 Update 5 Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.14) MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) NVIDIA Drivers OptusNet Cable Components PDFCreator PIXMA Extended Survey Program QuickTime ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4 Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127) Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615) Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533) Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564) Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398) Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB936782) Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046) Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756) Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358) Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423) Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428) Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587) Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591) Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725) Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017) Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214) Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400) Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414) Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749) Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519) Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562) Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927) Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580) Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388) Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389) Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118) Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439) Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007) Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213) Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670) Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683) Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685) Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503) Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819) Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191) Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414) Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980) Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270) Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667) Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902) Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255) Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436) Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779) Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802) Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255) Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843) Security Update for Windows XP (KB929123) Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178) Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261) Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784) Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168) Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729) Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839) Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840) Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021) Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829) Security Update for Windows XP (KB941202) Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568) Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569) Security Update for Windows XP (KB941644) Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693) Security Update for Windows XP (KB943055) Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460) Security Update for Windows XP (KB943485) Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653) Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553) Security Update for Windows XP (KB946026) Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590) Security Update for Windows XP (KB948881) Serif PhotoPlus 6.0 Skype™ 3.6 SmartSound Quicktracks Plugin SoundMAX Trillian Ulead VideoStudio 9.0 SE DVD Update for Windows XP (KB894391) Update for Windows XP (KB898461) Update for Windows XP (KB900485) Update for Windows XP (KB904942) Update for Windows XP (KB908531) Update for Windows XP (KB910437) Update for Windows XP (KB911280) Update for Windows XP (KB916595) Update for Windows XP (KB920872) Update for Windows XP (KB922582) Update for Windows XP (KB927891) Update for Windows XP (KB930916) Update for Windows XP (KB938828) Update for Windows XP (KB942763) Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803) Windows Internet Explorer 7 Windows Media Encoder 9 Series Windows Media Encoder 9 Series Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339 Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835 Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836 Windows XP Hotfix - KB885884 Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185 Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472 Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302 Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859 Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781 WinFast PVR Yahoo! Install Manager Yahoo!7 Extras Yahoo!7 Mail Yahoo!7 Messenger
Hi

Im trying to get to the bottom of this NEWSETUP thing.

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
  • Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  • Double-click on the My Computer icon (or click Start, then select My Computer)
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • After the new window appears select the View tab.
  • Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
  • Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
  • Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.


Now go to My Computer>Local Drive ( C ) and see how many WINDOWS folders there are.

If only one, open it and tell me what you see.
Hi Scotty just woke up and saw your message have done as you requested and have a list a mile long of the files in the windows folder, tmp files, $ files, exe files, bmp files, log files etc. many of them. I don't know if I can take a pic of it and forward it to you. So please let me know what you wish to observe from here? Thanks
I take it then, there is just one Windows folder which contains a folder called NEWSETUP? Did someone set this computer up for you?
Yes that seems to be the case. The newsetup is the only windows folder I have. I had someone set it up for me, goodness i couldn't do it myself.
Hi

Okay, that seems fine. I cant see anything bad in the HijackThis log, so we will need to take another look from a different angle.

Lets run an F-Secure online scan it will scan for Viruses, Spyware and RootKits:
  • Click HERE
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Start Scanning button. A window will pop up.
  • Allow the Active X control to be installed on your computer, then click the Accept button
  • Click Full System Scan and allow the components to download and the scan to complete.
  • If malware is found, check Submit samples to F-Secure then select Automatic cleaning
  • When cleaning has finished, click Show report (this will open an Internet Explorer window containing the report)
    Highlight and Copy (CTRL + C) the complete report, and Paste (CTRL + V) in a new reply to this post
If Automatic cleaning with Submit samples hangs, click Cancel, then New Scan
  • When the cleaning option is presented, Uncheck Submit samples to F-Secure
  • Click Automatic cleaning
  • When cleaning has finished, click Show report (this will open an Internet Explorer window containing the report)
  • Highlight and Copy (CTRL + C) the complete report, and Paste (CTRL + V) in a new reply to this post

Note: This scan will only work with Internet Explorer.
You must be logged on a administrator rights to run this scan.
The scan may take a few hours.
ok will do that now and get back to you. I am supposing I can still work whilst doing this if I can't please let me know so I can close everything down. Cheers
Hi Scotty scan complete and only one spyware was found the report is as follows:- Scanning Report Friday, May 02, 2008 09:50:33 - 12:27:56 Computer name: BOB Scanning type: Scan system for malware, rootkits Target: C:\ ——————————————————————————– Result: 1 malware found Tracking Cookie (spyware) System ——————————————————————————– Statistics Scanned: Files: 85771 System: 4323 Not scanned: 10 Actions: Disinfected: 0 Renamed: 0 Deleted: 0 None: 1 Submitted: 0 Files not scanned: C:\PAGEFILE.SYS C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\DATACOLL\COLLECTEDDATA_597.XML C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\DATACOLL\COLLECTEDDATA_607.XML C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\NEWSETUP\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\EVENTCACHE\{33B9FC34-89E8-41DE-B832-53857C0FFBB6}.BIN C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\CURRENT WORKING FILES\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\QV0TNR2X\BQCANLJK8TCAWF5KR8CA12UGPPCAJ43J6HCAEMGU3HCA02F0LUCA551APNCAGAHLPWCALV37F0C AGUX0NYCAKAV48SCAQSQ59SCA9JMN4NCADUQDTACAZXFHTFCA8NTIGTCAANDGR2CANN9KU7 Is there anything else you want me to do. Or do you think all is ok? Thanks Colliegirl
Hi There is no sign of anything malicious on your computer. How do you know your usage? Is your ISP telling you or are you using some monitoring software? Are you getting returned emails that you never sent?
Hi Scotty I only know that on some months I am using 2gb on 2 days and this is not usual. I don't watch videos, I'd like to. I don't download movies etc. I am a member of two forums and do a bit of shopping on ebay. I research on some sites etc. I don't get returned emails etc. I have asked people not to send me big emails and mostly they don't. I did notify my isp and they suggested that I do a scan of my system etc. Which we now have done and as you say nothing seems to be there. I can view my usage whenever I want, but I wasn't all that confident, I though that that they may bet diddling me out of dowlnoand as I was fine with the usage before. Although I can see my usage I don't really know how much I really use only what they tell my I have used, if you know what I mean. The sceptic in me. I am thinking that perhaps I need to increase my download, but didn't want to do that without checking that there was anything untoward so to speak. Do you know of a program that I could run that would show me how much I downloand and when and from what site etc. may be then I can keep track of what I am doin?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI