This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to view desktop background

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I was in the malware forum previously and I was directed to this forum to address the problem with my desktop background. I cannot select images from the desktop background panel without the menu closing out. I can, however, see the solid colors and can change the background to different solid colors (just not images). Please take a look at my posts back and forth in the other forum cause I was asked to check some stuff already. Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks so much, Equinger
Experienced that problem once, in windows XP. Solution was to : Right-click on desk, properties, choose the first tab- named Themes, choose "my current theme (altered). Remember to have chosen a background picture first for your desktop. Hope that this might help. Have seen you use Vista, but it might be the same procedure. Regards Abydos
Another no go unfortunately….thanks for the advice though. I think I deleted the policies because of that other website you showed me.
Got one to try. Its one of those , where you'd bang your head if it works :blush: Goto control panel Access the "Ease of access center" Find "make the computer easier to access" See if there's a checkmark in "Remove background images" Regards Abydos
Ok, then we have to try the SFC /Scannow command. Its slightly different to use in Vista compared to XP. But heres the link to MS's own explanation on how to do it in Vista.

LINK

I've also found a Wallpaper_Enable.reg fix on a MS MVP's webpage, but i hold that alittle, till i have found out if it can be used in your situation. But lets see if the SFC /scannow will fix the situation.

Regards Abydos
So when I do this, there are some problems that can't be fixed. When I try to make the log file of problems that can't be fixed, it generates a blank document. When I try to open the CBS.log file, I cannot access it from the Vista GUI or the command prompt by writing edit CBS.log. The error is "memory out of range." any ideas?? Thanks, Equinger
Hi Equinger Just to get this straight, and so i'm sure I follow you on this one. Mostly because Vista aint by far one of my stronger assets. You have run the SFC command, and let it work trough? (remember the space between C and / (slash) in the command) Do Vista produce / show an message that there where some things it couldn't fix? (No message of any kind in XP, hence the question) Normally this scan takes about 20-30 minutes. How long, estimated, for your's? Regards Abydos
My SFC scan took about 10 minutes. It did seem to work and it said that there were some files that could not be fixed. I was just unable to access or manipulate the log that it produced (CBS.log). Thus when I generate the next document that I was asked to create (which is supposed to contain the errors), it is a blank document.
Hmm, I myself are blank on this one. I'm waiting an answer regarding that fix I'd mentioned, but as far as I understand, it replaces the wallpaper registry keys with the correct original in case they have been tampered with. Apart from trying that, altho I would like the answer first, I can't think of anything else, except…. A possibility would be a repair of the windows installment, but I personnally don't know how this is done in Vista. In XP you don't loose any installments / programs / document's etc. apart from any windows-update, I guess that's the same for Vista without being certain tho. Theres a huge difference between a repair and a fresh install in case you wondered. Regards Abydos
Yeah, that fix would be great. I wish I could finish this SFC process though also ….because it seems that, if I could access the errors, it could direct us as to where to go from there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI