Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Sprycrusher is just the symptom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 Scotty

Scotty

Always Happy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

Hi

Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.

Posted Image

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk ( C ) that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click [/b]Check Now[/b]. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use the following procedure:

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Keep an eye out for a code when it is finished then post back with that code.

(It may take a while)
You too could train to help others- Join the Classroom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Jcatsmom

Jcatsmom

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

Scotty- A continuing saga. Uninstall of combofix was successful. Error checking could not be performed. At the end of phase 1 I repeatedly received message that it was unable to complete disk check. In checking the eventviewer, I found the message Device/harddisk 0/D has a badblock repeatedly. Do I need to install a new hard drive and clone or copy the information and programs? Thank you for your continued help.- Jcatsmom :wacko:

#18 Scotty

Scotty

Always Happy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Best you start a new topic here
http://forums.whatth...ndows_f119.html

It's now a tech issue, and beyond my knowledge. So here is my closing speech

Congratulations, you appear to be malware free. :woot:

1 - Update Adobe Reader
Earlier versions of Adobe Reader have known security flaws so it is recommended that you update your copy
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Remove ALL instances of Adobe Reader
  • Re-boot your computer as required.
  • Once ALL versions of Adobe Reader have been uninstalled, visit: www.adobe.com/uk/products/acrobat/readstep2.html and download the latest version of Adobe Reader
OR, after uninstalling Adobe Reader, you could try installing Foxit Reader from >here<
Foxit Reader has fewer add-ons therefore loads more quickly.

Delete the older versions of Java and download the newest.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.
  • Close any programmes you may have running, ESPECIALLY your web browser
  • Click Start > Control Panel.
  • Click Add/Remove Programs.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove all versions of Java.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
Then download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (5th one down the list), which is JRE6u6, and click Yes at the page warning. Under "Platform" select Windows, then check the box to accept the Licence Agreement. Click Yes at the second page warning before downloading the Offline file.
There is no need to download the Sun Dowload manager but it is optional.

You may wish to keep hold of the Kaspersky Online Scan as an extra on-demand virus-scanner.
If not you can uninstall it through Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good program to keep. If you wish to keep it, use it to do a quick scan once a week and keep it updated.
Remember, only the paid for version offers real-time protection

Here is another free program I recommend.

Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here

Make sure your Windows is ALWAYS up to date!

An unpatched Windows is vulnerable and even with the "best" Antivirus and Firewall installed, malware will find its way through.
So visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to download and install the latest updates.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

Please check out Tony Klein's article "How did I get infected in the first place?"

Here is some great information from experts in this field that will help you stay clean and safe online.
http://forum.malware...wtopic.php?t=14

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Good luck with the other problem. Ill follow the thread. :popcorn:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Jcatsmom

Jcatsmom

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

Scotty :popcorn: , Thank you for your guidance in cleaning up the malware. :thumbup: I appreciate the additional steps you included. What a bummer that we're into hardware now. :smack: Until we meet again, Jcatsmom

#20 Scotty

Scotty

Always Happy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image