Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Netcom.3 directed me here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 macblack

macblack

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

Here is what you asked for oh great one :notworthy: HVolume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 40AA-386F Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\totem shared 10/18/2007 02:14 PM <DIR> . 10/18/2007 02:14 PM <DIR> .. 10/18/2007 02:14 PM <DIR> Update 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\totem shared\Update 10/18/2007 02:14 PM <DIR> . 10/18/2007 02:14 PM <DIR> .. 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 884,736 Bpk.dll.142 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 14,848 Distribution.dll.055 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 10,240 FavoriteLinks.dll.075 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 19,456 FreeSamples.dll.047 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 110,592 libpng.dll.010 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 344,064 msvcr70.dll.010 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 106,496 Music.dll.027 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 19,968 Network.dll.068 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 49,152 System.dll.094 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 43,520 Update.dll.073 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 33,792 Windows.dll.081 10/18/2007 02:14 PM 196,608 WindowsEx.dll.050 12 File(s) 1,833,472 bytes Total Files Listed: 12 File(s) 1,833,472 bytes 5 Dir(s) 20,919,730,176 bytes free

Edited by macblack, 16 April 2008 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hi macblack,

You can delete the folders as per the Netcom3 advice:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\totem shared <- whole folder
C:\Program Files\morpheus <- whole folder
C:\Program Files\limewire <- whole folder

I don't think there is any malware in them but the associated programs are no longer installed so we can remove them safely.

Did you remove the other files and folders OK?
How is your machine running now?
ASAP & UNITE Member

#18 macblack

macblack

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

Yes I did remove the other files and folders OK. Same as per last instructions. Every things seems to be running fine. Netcom3 offered me a "dedicated service person" and I declined. Informed them that I had taken care of it myself and then some. I can't thank you enough for all the help. It seems that I came across you folks by hitting the wrong button after my Hijackthis scan per Netcoms instructions, so I am grateful for that mistake. I have another problem though and I'm hopeing that you can help me with this also. My son tells me that he is having a problem with burning his music files to CD-Rmusic disks from our Windows Media Player. The program loads just fine and he creates a playlist to burn and it instructs him to insert a disk, he does and the same window keeps coming up that insructs him to insert a disk, like it doesn't realize that a disk has been inserted. Could it be a setting that is not set correctly? Is that driver shot? There are two drivers on the tower and it is the lower unit that opens automatically during this process. Again Silver, I can't thank you enough for all the guidance. You folks are a godsend. B)

#19 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi macblack,

I'm glad that things are running better :) With regard to the CD burning problem, I think the best way to resolve it is to ask for help from the Tech Team in the Microsoft Windows forum here at What the Tech - the experts there specialize in this type of problem so you will be in good hands.

We have a few final steps before finishing up:

You should now delete dss.exe from your Desktop, also delete this folder:

C:\Deckard

You can remove Malwarebytes Antimalware via Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs if you wish, but I recommend you keep this program and scan with it regularly.

Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
Press Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
Next click Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
Press OK and Yes to confirm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above went well I think your machine is clean of malware :) here are some tips to help you keep it that way:

You have a good antivirus program installed, however I recommend you install antispyware software with real-time capabilities - this means it protects you from system changes and spyware while you are working, not just removing malware after it has been installed. There are a range of paid-for and free packages available, a free one I can recommend is Windows Defender, available here:
http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

I recommend you install a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
Also: subscribe to the mailing list to get update notifications.

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware - this includes allowing websites to install browser plug-ins or ActiveX controls. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.

Find out more about how to prevent infection in the future
http://forum.malware...pic.php?p=33687

Please post back to let me know that you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
ASAP & UNITE Member

#20 macblack

macblack

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Thank you Silver. I am running Windows Defender now and will follow thru with the rest of your advice tomorrow. Thanks again. :thumbup: :notworthy:

#21 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:12 AM

You're most welcome and best of luck :)
ASAP & UNITE Member

#22 silver

silver

Malware Expert Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
ASAP & UNITE Member