There are a few things you must do once you system is completely clean:
Time for some housekeeping
- Click START then RUN
- Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK
The above procedure will:
- Delete the following:
- ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
- VundoFix backups, if present
- The C:\Deckard folder, if present
- The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present
- Reset the clock settings.
- Hide file extensions, if required.
- Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
- Reset System Restore.
- Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
- Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
- Click on the CleanUp! button
- A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
- If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
- Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
- You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
1. Make your Internet Explorer More Secure
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab.
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt.
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable.
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt.
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt.
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt.
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones can be found here
Do not install more than one firewall program because they will conflict with each other
4. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Without these you are leaving the back door open.
5. Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
6. Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.
7. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Download and install Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide real time spyware and hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would with your anti-virus software. A tutorial on installing and using this product can be found here:
Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
8. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?