This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows crashes whenever I try to delete files, etc.

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I tried disabling all the add-ons in Internet Explorer and it hasn't worked but I haven't rebooted yet. Also how do I run that CHDSK thing? Is it the same thing as the Error-checking for a drive you can run from the Tools menu?


Heres the MS page for how to conducting CHKDSK

So a repair Windows removes all hotfixes as well as SP2? I will probably do it after a few more attempts, not because I'm just giving up but I have learned things from this but as has been said ideas for how to solve it are running out and I'm willing to compromise eventually here.


Thats right, you loose any MS updates, and thats that. However, just in case, be sure to back-up more sensitive files you don't wanna loose should something go wrong. Heres an easy guide how to repair windows.

Windows Repair

Regards Abydos
I used chkdsk and it didn't solve the problem and I rebooted and the Internet Explorer running without add ons hasn't either. Since this issue might be .Net Runtime 2 related, could I uninstall and reinstall it and maybe that'd help? Also I'd like the link to the SP2 download, so I can download it in advance.

You can run chkdks that way, I generally start in safe mode, then enter: chkdsk /r from a DOS prompt. Note the space before the /.

Is that way likely to help more or is it just an alternative?
The /r switch is often considered better because it also instructs chkdsk to search for and attempt to repair bad sectors. /r includes /f.
Enigma, Do you have access to a working computer on broadband with a cd burner where you could download the admin install of sp2 and slipstream into your cab files? The later catalyst drivers can be dangerous on an older computer, I would have stopped with net 2 myself In the end you'll probably have to do a clean install anyway, but running a repair disk will be good practise and may fix enough of the windows shell to facilitate backup of data That's why I always create a data partition or just pull the hard drive and grab the data in a working computer Never make my documents private

Enigma,

Do you have access to a working computer on broadband with a cd burner where you could download the admin install of sp2 and slipstream into your cab files?

Ya.

That graphics card driver was the only one that made Direct X work properly and what's wrong with .Net Runtime 2?
Net framework 2 seems to be stable now, just like everything else the earliest releases may have been buggy, I will move on to IE7, MP11 and net 3 when I transition to Vista after it matures At least with DX10, it would seem no attempt was made to cobble it into XP XP w/sp2 and the critical patches seems to be a fully mature OS, doing a repair disk or clean install, you will get the best result from using a disk that's as complete as possible Older ati video cards don't need net2 or the catalyst control center, my ati 9600 does quite well with cli turned off in msconfig, I haven't had any issues with net2 myself, however I haven't installed any older software that integrates into the shell A friend completely hosed xp with an older game that did not even support W2k, we have reloaded direct x, run windows as a repair disk, removed and reloaded net3, catalysts drivers and wasted several hours in the process trying to fix dx 9
So then how to do I do the slipstreaming with SP2 and the critical patches or at least SP2? I usually have the graphic cards bells and whistles disabled anyway.
My first attempt involved printing 6 pages of directions and handtyping each command, and with all my mistypes only took 2 1/2 hours, then later a friend said to use "copy and paste". :pullhair: :smack:
As you know I am having trouble copying and pasting but I found a way around it, right click on the XP CD and choose copy, it worked. Then choose paste from the Windows Explorer menu(whatever the name of that tab is that has it on it) and that worked but then I need to do some extra things to make things work for what I was doing(preparing for a Slipstream CD).

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI