Rauchster
Topic Starter
Hello all, my introduction to this forums was quite informational, I was surprised at the depth of information I was able to find for other problems, but no (exact) information ws available on this particular problem.
I am a local computer technician, and I have been working on this clients computer for several days now, and the problem is driving me bonkers
. Not that I wasn't before, but that's besides the point.
Situation:
Customer complained of having a faulty power cord, but upon further inspection, the power cord was fine, but the power jack inside the laptop case (Dell Inspiron 5150) had broken of two connectors and was faulty.
Took apart the computer very carefully as per the norm, had it all sectioned out, and found the bad power jack.
Soldered a new one in place, and figured it was good to go.
After putting it all back together, I attempted (note that word) to turn it on to prove that it was working normally.
Nothing….
Well, I checked with and without the battery, and with and without the Power Adapter.
Battery/Adapter in: The LED for Battery blinks orange a couple times indicating that there isn't enough battery power to start the laptop.
Battery in/Adapter out: Nothing happens at all
Adapter in/Battery out: When plugging in the adapter, for a brief second, the Power and Battery LED flash green, and then nothing happens, even after pressing the power button.
After this all happened, I took it apart again, to make sure everything was in it's proper place, and it all was.
I checked the Power Adapter by using a Plug voltage monitor, it's pulling power.
I used a adapter that we have in the office with multiple heads on it, with enough Volt/Amp to carry the laptop specs, and that has same results as the customer's power cord.
I have checked the RAM incase there was a problem there (without working RAM, won't turn on). It was a longshot fix, but not surprisingly , it didn't work.
And then, I used a fully charged battery of the same make/model, AND IT BOOTS UP.
My guess is Bad motherboard (bad circuitry in between the AC input and battery intake)
If anybody here can shed some light on the (troublesome) situation, I would be most appreciative.
Ja Ne!
Rauchster.