This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Direct 3D not working

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I suppose by now, you have put the fourth stick back in?
DDR2 PC6400 dual-channel….. does it not require installation in matched sets?

What a relief for you to have recalled the scripting you tried previously.
Now you can "experiment" with it intentionally, or leave it off if all is working well.

I don't like that the script appears to restrict kernel addressing to 1gig, leaving the remainder supposedly for other applications.
I may be intuitively wrong, and I am certainly technically not familiar, but I'd sure don't see where "applications" would deserve that kind of favorable ratio.


It requires matched sets for dual-channel mode. I have all 4 back in now. I am not sure if I will experiment with it or not as I am tired of it right now :)
I don't know how well your graphics adapter was running when you said it "was back". But it looks like it has dumped back down to very poor performance again. On another note: Do you realize that WeatherBug is spyware (maybe not if you have a paid version) But I would uninstall it. If you need a safe alternative, I'll look one up.

I don't know how well your graphics adapter was running when you said it "was back".
But it looks like it has dumped back down to very poor performance again.

On another note: Do you realize that WeatherBug is spyware (maybe not if you have a paid version)
But I would uninstall it. If you need a safe alternative, I'll look one up.



Hmm i will look into the graphics adapter. I have the paid subscription for weatherbug and dont get any red flags on my scans atm.
Where do you see that about my graphics performance? When i go to my TechExpress results I see a checkered flad next to Video.

Click on Video Details
70.09 MP/s (59% of 56 similar)

I would expect between 150MP/s and 250MP/s for a "single" 8600GT



Any idea what could be causing that? Also I will try it in Vista tomorrow (cause its late) and see what it gives me.
Try pulling out the two RAM Sticks again and run a fresh Pit test. You can also run a Pit Test in Vista (open your Internet Explorer with - "Run as Administrator")
I wanna try it in Vista first and see what the difference is. May still have a prob with my XP configuration after all the junk I have put it thru :) Then will try with the 2 sticks out on XP so we can compare. Anyway will report back tomorrow on results :) and again thank you for all your help.
Hi, I have done the tests. Vista with 4 sticks - 137.49 XP with 2 sticks - 68.27 XP now with 4 sticks back in - 70.65 I am not sure what is driving the performance down.
In XP, consider Uninstalling nVidia Driver and reinstalling nVidia Driver (make sure you install the one appropriate for XP) (Link listed in previous post) Since you have a "dual-boot" machine, please review the steps you followed in constructing the the installations. Especially varify that you have installed motherboard Chipset Drivers appropriate to each OS. (from the manufacturer's website)
Sshadow,

I have not been able to find this Boot.ini option – /usepmtimer
in this listing of Boot.ini options
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte…s/bb963892.aspx

I wonder if it would be useful to include the option to limit the amount of RAM that XP recognizes to 2048mb?
/MAXMEM=2048

I've asked some other knowledgeable Techs to have a look into this thread.
Hopefully they may spot something that has been overlooked.

Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI