This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Please review my Log

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I want to be sure you are using and original windows XP cd. Not a recovery disk that came with the computer.

If you have that continue on withthe directions.
If not let me know. I will also need to know the type and model number of your computer.

Have a look here for a simple explanation of how to boot to CD.
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom
hi the xp cd im using is the operating system reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp home edition its a burgundy coloured cd, and it came with the computer, I dont have another Windows xp cd i have a Microsoft windows xp Home edition Version 2002 Servicve pack 2 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.60GHZ 1.59GHZ, 512 MB of Ram and Im not sure if this is the model number. 55277-oem-0011903-00102
Did you try what I mentioned by going into your cmos ( bios) from this link ?

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

If this CD came with the computer chances are it's not a bootable CD and you may have to contact dell.



____________________________________
Let me ask you this .
What happens if you just pace the cd in the drive then start it ?

Are you given any options ?


____________________________
Also your computer:

It's a Dell something or other isn't it ?
That's what I need to know. Dell demension or inspiron and the model number.


________________________________________
i havent tried the instructions on that site yet, But i will tonight. I put the cd in nothing happens. But when i go to my computer and click the cd-rwdrive I can do something but I think one step was uninstalling something, which i didnt wanna mess with yet so i canceled i have a dell demension I will give you more information when i get to my computer tonight Also, in the past i have took my computer to a guy and he reformatted it with all the cds i have now.
Do what it says on that site. Then place the CD in and restart the computer. You should be prompted to press a key to begin the process.
This is freakin impossible. Ive done all the steps, triple checked it, and I cant reformat. If i go to my computer and manually try to start by clicking the cd drive, the cd it wouldnt work huh? Can you just help me with getting my sound back? i think combofix deleted it because i saw a file system_volume somethin get removed by it

Let me ask you this .
What happens if you just pace the cd in the drive then start it ?

Are you given any options ?


I had asked you to try that already. You haven't ?

Please try that. Then, if that doesn't work we will just clean your computer and fix the sound.

______________________________

Place the cd in the drive. Click on My computer then from there double click the CD to start it.

Let me know how that goes.
>xO!!! i thought you meant put the cd in, restart and the cd would boot itself, not go into my computer and try it, lol sorry about that but when i did try to start it by going to my computer, it said install windows, i actually clicked that one time and I think it was trying to uninstall windows I will try this, thanks for helping this troubled kid and his computer :D
k these are my options when i start xp2_per_eng (the xp windows cd in disc tray) I click the setup and i get to choose these options Install Windows xp Install optional windows componets Perform additional tasks check system compatibility Should i click windows xp? and then i get the whole thing to press any key to start and boot the cd?
Yes you will want to click on install windows XP.

Then you are going to want to take the options to delete the C: partitions shown. This is where windows resides now so you'll want to choose "format the drive using the NTFS file system drive"

Do Not choose the quick method this may leave some malware behind.


This will wipe out everything and start you all over again with a clean install..

Be sure to look here


http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…xp/install.mspx it will show you some things you are about to see.
blah…i dont know if its this virus or what but im barely able to connect online to keep in contact Ive restarted my computer about 15 times and got my second connection now. when i clicked the install windows it says this version on my computer now is newer than the one on the cd It said these options are "Continue(which i cant click)"" back" Or "exit" the setup
I want the exact name and model number of your computer. What exactly happened when you went into bios ? Did you set it to boot from CD rom first ? Did you save the changes you made in Bios. Usually hitting f10 will prompt you to save changes. You may also try and contact Dell for assistance. Their web site contains alot of information about your computer. OR We might just try cleaning it.
i pressed f2 went to boot sequence changed cd rom to 1 and saved settings. i also tried to press f12 with the cd in and clicked the cd drive/rom and something came up saying Strike f1 to retry boot or f12 to go back to settings i think it was I have a dimension 4300 windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack2 pentium4 my model number im not sure which is which, I have several numbers 0043-124-501-799 was under a barcode on the side of my modem 05d481 was on the far right side of another barcode both of these numbers are on the same sticker onto my modem I honestly think we should just try and clean it, i dont see myself using this computer much longer, its about 4-5 years old and im getting older now, but i would like it to be clean ass possible Reformatting would be the best option, but i dont know why the boot sequence wont work when i try
Alright bizzy99,
Now with the model number I have done a bit of reading and maybe you have read the same also.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…lve.htm#1140285

These are instructions on how to format that computer with the windows CD. If you would like to follow that and try again feel free.
If you would like to clean this machine Please post a new HJT log for me and we will move forward and clean and fix this to the best of my ability.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI