Wait a couple of days on the JAVA JRE.
Their site seems to be giving trouble with downloads right now.
There are other JAVA sites that are kinda/sorta similar that are posting JRE 5 build 14…. which "sounds like" it would be the same as 6 build 4…. but isn't.
Wait for 6 build 4.
_______________
You'll be "ok" with your present "vulnerable" JRE as long as you don't go "click happy."
For additional and temporary workaround, please do the following:
Clear your JAVA Cache which may have corrupted ActiveX files.
Afterwards, when you visit back to online sites that require ActiveX components, they will ask you to accept a fresh copy of their ActiveX. (not all sites, nor all activeX components are SAFE.) Be sure you make good decisions about where you browse and what you click/allow.
To Clear JAVA Cache: Control Panel - (double-click)JAVA <– This brings up the JAVA Control Panel
On the General(tab) - Click on - Settings (at the bottom, in the Temporary Internet Files section)
Then click on - Delete Files - the OK, OK to exit the panel and exit JAVA Control Panel
Further from Paws
Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:
1 Click Start
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Internet Options.
4 Click Security tab.
5 Click the Internet icon
6 Click Custom Level button.
7 Scroll to "Download signed ActiveX controls" and set to "Prompt"
8 Scroll down to "Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins" is set to "Enable"
9 Click Apply
10 Click OK
Can't use old verion as I uninstalled via add/remove ready for the new version, however, when I go to search files and folders there I still get all these?
[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
Do I still need to do this re Java ?
Clear your JAVA Cache which may have corrupted ActiveX files.
Afterwards, when you visit back to online sites that require ActiveX components, they will ask you to accept a fresh copy of their ActiveX. (not all sites, nor all activeX components are SAFE.) Be sure you make good decisions about where you browse and what you click/allow.
To Clear JAVA Cache:
Control Panel - (double-click)JAVA <– This brings up the JAVA Control Panel
On the General(tab) - Click on - Settings (at the bottom, in the Temporary Internet Files section)
Then click on - Delete Files - the OK, OK to exit the panel and exit JAVA Control Panel
Further from Paws
Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:
1 Click Start
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Internet Options.
4 Click Security tab.
5 Click the Internet icon
6 Click Custom Level button.
7 Scroll to "Download signed ActiveX controls" and set to "Prompt"
8 Scroll down to "Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins" is set to "Enable"
9 Click Apply
10 Click OK
I am confused as what to do now as Java is not on Add/Remove Programs but I still have all these entries somewhere?
Chazyb,
That's not a problem to have so many file entries that have the term JAVA included.
You should not attempt to modify, delete or remove any of those listed files…. They are all OK and needed.
Many applications and processes use or connect to JAVA Runtime Environment.
This machine that I am using to post to you reveals 90 such file entries.
_______________
Yes, you should still clear your JAVA Cache.
I have checked with other experts and find that Sun JAVA is presently modifying its posted sites.
It's frustrating, but does occur periodically especially with major software features like JAVA.
You can safely "disable" any/all of the items listed in startup_progs.html
You will still be able to use any of them when needed by starting the application manually (clicking in Program Files or Icons)
If you regularly access the Internet via AOL, you may want to keep that item active.
_____________
With regard to "disabling" the resource hungry CTFMON.exe, there is a different procedure to follow, as listed below:
Speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
This item ctfmon.exe is disabled via Control Panel - Regional and Language Options Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Language(tab) - Details(button) - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in the box in front of: "Turn off advanced text services"
Where's your NOD32 AntiVirus and AntiSpyware?
Do they only appear as services and not as StartUps?
I just had a look at misconfig and both Nod 32 and Adaware are running on services but are not on start up, should they be on start up? or are they ok running in the background? also, Do you mean adaware and Spybot when you say AntiSpyware?
Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:
How do I ensure that IE is fully closed and do I need to close AOL as well?
thanks Doug
chazy
AOL is the only browser I use, it's simple and I like the homepage ect
Doug I do not have a Java Icon in Control panel so I cannot do this
To Clear JAVA Cache:
Control Panel - (double-click)JAVA <– This brings up the JAVA Control Panel
Further from Paws
Assuming you have Windows service Pack 2 installed (if you haven't then please post back for further advice) you can ensure that your Internet Explorer is closed and then:
1 Click Start
2 Click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Internet Options.
4 Click Security tab.
5 Click the Internet icon
6 Click Custom Level button.
7 Scroll to "Download signed ActiveX controls" and set to "Prompt"
8 Scroll down to "Run ActiveX controls and Plug ins" is set to "Enable"
9 Click Apply
10 Click OK
You can safely "disable" any/all of the items listed in startup_progs.html
is this done in misconfig or by that startup program I installed {Code Stuff Starter}
thanks
chazy
PS, Although I did the optimal buffer size changes again because the pitstop doesn't think I have it still thinks I haven't changed it? I re booted and tested again and it still says reduce buffer size but have a look in my redgit screenie and the change appears to be in there>
[external image: Posted Image]
I went back to reg editor and clicked on the new setting and it seems to always revert to this {pic below] even though clicking ok and re booting
When you perform the instructions #1…#10 regarding TcpWindowSize you must make one more click to Select/Open the Parameters Folder.
Your own screen shot illustrates that you have correctly created the New DWord TcpWindowSize …..
But you put it into the wrong location (you put yours into the main TCPIP folder category.
Here's a screen shoot of the Correct Location. [external image: Posted Image]
Yes you can "disable" most of them via MSCONFIG - StartUps
But "some" of them may not appear in MSCONFIG - StartUps
You can use CodeStuff Starters (which is a utility that is a little "smarter" than MSCONFIG) to disable the items.
Do the same…. simply remove the checkmark/tick from in front of the items you decide to disable.
(all items listed in your earlier report are safe to disable (keep your AOL item).
No. I don't think you are missing anything in the Value portion of 64240
Registry always reverts to Hex, but also reports the decimal value in (parenthesis) (64240)
***HOWEVER***
I see a <.> (period) right after TcpWindowSize. <– notice the "period"
There should be no "period" after TcpWindowSize
Remove the "period" and I think you'll be good to go.
Now all I need to do is sort the start up progs, am I correct in thinking that I will not be able to do any of Paws suggestions above re activex and Java cache as I don't have Java at the mo.
You are not entirely correct about the safe settings recommended by Paws.
You can make those changes in IE at this time.
________________________–
Looks like you might be able to get your JAVA updated version from this reliable third-party source.
Be careful about using third-party sources for downloads, unless you know the source.
This one is OK. http://www.filehippo.com/download/22182b32…30bc4/download/
doug, i am not sure what to do in the screenie, do I just untick them then exit or do I use the delete button, could you explain please. Also do I just leave AOL and Java?
[external image: Posted Image]
thanks
chazy
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI