This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Ahoy, Simon V, you're needed once more!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well, I made my donation, as promised! 25 bucks isn't much considering what you did for me, but hopefully it'll help.

Anyway, our previous thread got closed up before I could finish my research, so here is my new problem:

I can browse the internet just fine, (obviously), but trying to install the wonderful software you listed isn't working. The firewalls are OFF and I have no anti-virus software installed (I bought McAfee this year since Norton clearly failed). Right when the installer tries to download files, I get the error: "The Download Manager could not connect, please connect to the internet and click retry" or something like that. I'm clearly connceted, so what's the deal?

The first time this started happening was during our work-through; right when you told me to get Malware Bytes you said to update it–remember I couldn't? I got a similar error then. Going down your list of things to have to stay clean, I can't install Spy-bot, McAfee, or anything that downloads files on installation.

I ran an online scan (complete c: drive) from trend micro, and it only found a few tracking cookies plus:

troj_pakes.fv

I got rid of it, but I'm still having the download problems….Other forums seem to think there's a key windows process missing…What do I do?



HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:39:48 PM, on 1/26/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\CATIA\intel_a\code\bin\CATSysDemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\EnvyADeck\EnMixCPL.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vVX1000.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\MSCamS32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LifeCam] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeExp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnvyHFCPL] C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\EnvyADeck\EnMixCPL.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX1000] C:\WINDOWS\vVX1000.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/d…can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w2/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Network Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskNetSrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Backbone Service (BBDemon) - Dassault Systemes - C:\Program Files\CATIA\intel_a\code\bin\CATSysDemon.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Comodo Application Agent (CmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: NTBOOTMGR (NTBOOT) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DRIVER\ntuser.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
Hello again :)

There are still signs of Norton on your PC, so please download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
Then download and install one of these free anti-virus programs, so you are protected until the problem is resolved:


Uninstall the Comodo firewall and enable the Windows firewall.

Try to download the files you want, and let me know whether something has changed.
OK, I uninstalled Comodo and turned on the windows firewall. I went to the website you linked to to download the Norton removal tool, but it wouldn't let me download (ie coulnd't find the page?!) I went to the add/remove programs and found a couple Norton entries still. So I tried to remove it and it's still working on it (it was going all night!) It's on different phases so I guess it's working….anyway I'll get back to you when Norton is done –Crystal
Update–Finally had to stop the uninstall as it was clearly having major problems. Managed to find another site that had the removal tool (since I couldn't download it) and Voila! I am connected again! It's a fine, virus-free day in sunny Florida and I do THANK YOU again for all your time!! Yay!!!!!!!!

Update–Finally had to stop the uninstall as it was clearly having major problems. Managed to find another site that had the removal tool (since I couldn't download it) and Voila! I am connected again!

It's a fine, virus-free day in sunny Florida and I do THANK YOU again for all your time!!

Yay!!!!!!!!

That's really great to hear :)

Happy surfing and stay safe!

Since this issue appears to be resolved … this topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI