This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

New Updates for adaware

23 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I searched for info on this and found a few others saying the same thing about Adaware not updating for quite a long time. When I searched this forum, I found no one talking about it, unless I just did not look long enough. I trust the answers here. Why is Adaware not updating ?
Thanks for that lnk. :D


The post from that other page said :


Ad-Aware SE users must manually update from here



So my button on the AdawareSE is inop and I have
to come here to update ?


Steve

P.S. I went to the link given and it is a .zip file, which
I have no idea where to put it on my computer. Adaware
should make their button work again… One other thing,
why does the button not work on their
software anymore ? Thanks… :thumbup:




Here you are, notification only today from this forum.

best regards, :thumbup:

Hi Steve,
There is a later version called Ad-Aware 2007 that may be more to your taste. It was launched about 6 months or so ago.

Here's a link to the FAQ, that provides instructions on how to update Ad-Aware SE, It tells you exactly how to deal with Zip files, as well.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/faq_aawse.php

I updated my copy of Ad-Aware 2007 this morning, no troubles, a quick and clean update that included a new upload manager and bang up to date definitions.
This was initiated just by clicking "Update" and following on screen directions.

It's always wise to check that your 2 way software firewall has been set up to allow access for Ad-Aware updates, as otherwise this could be blocking it.
Good luck
Regards
paws

Hi Steve,
There is a later version called Ad-Aware 2007 that may be more to your taste. It was launched about 6 months or so ago.

Here's a link to the FAQ, that provides instructions on how to update Ad-Aware SE, It tells you exactly how to deal with Zip files, as well.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/faq_aawse.php

I updated my copy of Ad-Aware 2007 this morning, no troubles, a quick and clean update that included a new upload manager and bang up to date definitions.
This was initiated just by clicking "Update" and following on screen directions.

It's always wise to check that your 2 way software firewall has been set up to allow access for Ad-Aware updates, as otherwise this could be blocking it.
Good luck
Regards
paws


Are there any major benefits between this newer version of Ad-Aware 2007 and Ad-Aware SE? Are the definitions better?
Hi, EnigmaChick,
Sorry I'm not well qualified to comment on the definitions and if they are better or not than the older versions. They all seem OK to me!
Having said that, I'm just as satisfied with the new version as I was with the old. It seems to work well for me and I have a lot of customers who use it without complaint (usually the free versions!)
The detection rate seems to be good and I know some very experienced folks who prefer the new engine (in the 2007 version) to the old.

Some folks though are concerned about the "footprint" of the newer version and run it on demand rather than having it resident as a service so to speak.
Here's what our own knowledgeable Digerati said about it:

Ad-Aware 2007 – There have been many complaints about the new Ad-Aware's unnecessary use of system resources. Ad-Aware 2007 installs a program called aawservice.exe, and configures it to run as a "service" that loads at every boot. This occurs even though the free version of Ad-Adware 2007 is "on-demand" only; there is no "real-time" scanning feature. This service consumes 20 to 30Mb of RAM! That's a lot for a file doing nothing most of the time. Even though it consumes few CPU cycles when not active, and readily moves its working set of RAM to the hard drive’s Page File if needed by other programs, the fact the unneeded service runs at every boot up, consumes so much RAM, and does not terminate after exiting Ad-Aware, concerns many. I share that concern. If you choose to use Ad-Aware 2007 (still an excellent anti-spyware program), you may want to change how the service is configured so that it does not start until you call up the program.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Regards
paws
:o augh ! 20 MB of RAM for the new AdAware… way too much for me. Its good to know they at least give you the option to turn it off. Thanks for the update, my AdaWare SE is just no longer supported it seems. No wonder that button no longer works ! :D Thanks paws for the info, looks like I need a new download. Steve
Hi Concerned Surfer,

My Ad-Aware SE was also not updating so I followed the link that Paws gave us and had success. The program has now updated and running correctly. I suggest you try all the items quoted and see how you go. My problem was the corrupted file shown in red. I deleted both as advised, downloaded the Zip file to my desktop from the notification link I gave you, unzipped it and dropped the file into the Lavasoft folder on my C:\Drive. All this was done with Ad-Aware closed.


"I cannot perform a web update of the Definition File after upgrading Ad-Aware SE; there is an error in retrieving the update.
This problem may be caused by one of the following factors:

  • The Definition File on your system might be corrupt. To check, locate the directory "C:\program files\lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE\ folder." Delete the files "defs.ref" and "def.ref.old." Try to update again.
  • If the update stops after only five percent is processed, your firewall is most likely preventing the update. To correct this, disable the firewall for the duration of the update or configure the firewall to allow requests from Ad-Aware SE to pass through.
  • Web update confirmation dialogs are suppressed. To correct this:
    • Open Ad-Aware SE.
    • Click the "Ad-Aware SE Configuration Window" icon.
    • Click "Tweak."
    • Click on "Web Update Settings" to expand it.
    • Deselect "Suppress Web Update confirmation dialogs."
  • You have inadvertently turned on the "Use HTTP Proxy" option. To correct this:
    • Open Ad-Aware SE.
    • Click on the "Integrated Web Update Tool" icon.
    • Click on "Configure."
    • Deselect the "Use HTTP Proxy" option.
    • Try updating the Definition File again.
  • If none of the above is preventing the update, we recommend that you try performing a manual update. To do this:
    • Close Ad-Aware SE.
    • Download the latest Definition File in ZIP format here http://download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.zip and save the file to a temporary location.
    • Unzip the contents of the file either with a ZIP utility or with the built-in support in Windows to the Ad-Aware SE installation directory, which usually is "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE\".
    • Open Ad-Aware SE.
    • Confirm that the latest Definition File is installed by checking the "Initialization Status" in the main program window."

I then ran the software checking for updates and all went well. The software is now updated.

Thanks you Paws :thumbup: for the link, great help here.

kind regards,

PS. I am in agreement regarding the new Ad Aware 2007, I tried it, did not like it so rolled back to the SE version. This is the first problem I have had with it, if it persists, I will most likely uninstall it and rely on other Antispyware programs I run randomly.






I used the link also, and I stuck with the old SE version, I hope it is still valid and gets
stuff like it always did. They have you delete old files in the Adaware folder, and then
-boom- it updates again. That was good news.

Thanks paws and tallin ! :thumbup:



Hi Concerned Surfer,

My Ad-Aware SE was also not updating so I followed the link that Paws gave us and had success. The program has

Hi CC,

Yes, I hope Ad-Aware also behaves itself, not the best of Antispyware programs these days, outdated somewhat but let us see how it goes. Glad you got it working also. :)

I guess you have others in your arsenal - SuperAntispyware is a good one, so if you do not have it I suggest you consider downloading and installing from here

Good luck and come back and see us from time to time.

kind regards,
Not-so-good news :

I just ran the Adaware and it did not really update. The definitions are
twenty days old. I just thought it updated, so I am still in the same
boat I was when I had my first question. >> Why does it not update ?
:wub: sorry to hear that CC.

I just checked mine and no updates are available. I believe that….. as there are no notifications by APlusWebMaster on this link since 15th January. You will not find update definitions everyday.

If the software plays up it is not worth the effort to correct it. As I broached in my last post it is not the best of Antispyware programs now.

Post back if you would like several other links to Antispyware programes currently thought well of.

kind regards, :)
Adaware said it was 20 days old in definitions after I had just updated it, so in effect,
the "fix" from the Adaware page really did nothing.

I use Spybot S&D and it does many of the things that Adaware does, but I am
sure there are things that each individually would probably miss.
I will go look at the new Adaware free edition, but I sure
dont want it to take up more resources while I am using
my box. There are already tons of things running as it is. :(

Isnt Adaware supposed to be one of the best for getting rid
of tracking cookies, and similar things ? I am having to use
three already, Adaware, spybot, and AVG is plenty ! Downloading another
is not an attractive option, but thanks for the offer. If I have to
I will, though.

Why do people have to put their evil junk on my computer ?

Thanks for your reply.

You will not find update definitions everyday.
Post back if you would like several other links to Antispyware programes currently thought well of.

kind regards, :)

Hello again CC,

So we can see a full overview of your computer (nothing is shown of personal nature) would you do a PCPitstop test please.

I had not realised you had paid for your Ad-Aware software. Mine is the free one and is fine today on both my computers. None of the Antispyware software should be starting up when you boot up, but do the test if you will and we can then help you with customising your computer to run much faster for you.

http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI