This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hi All!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello, I am a novice PC geek interested in learning about the ins and outs of computer processing. My first goal however is to learn how to remove adware/malware from my laptop and get over my fear of the dreaded registry. I thank each and all for any assitance given and for what I will learn here!! Mykl
Hi mykl,

Welcome to WhatThetech, we are pleased you have found and become a member of this great forum. :)

Have you got a maintenance program that you use daily?

What Antispyware software are you running and are all the definitions up to date.

Have you got a Firewall running at startup?

What Antivirus software (only one or they conflict) are you running?

If you feel you have malware on your Laptop this site is a good read for following correct procedure.

Post back if you need more guidance regarding software you feel you need.

kind regards,
Hi Tallin, Thank you for your welcome. I currently use AVG, AdAware and and Spybot and it seems as if I removed a lot of the viruses but whenever I restart my PC I receive rundll error popup that says the following: "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\fgjxsdwg.dll The specified module could not be found." I tried finding fixes for this issue by googling the specified file but found nothing. Does anyone know what this file is/or what it is for and if it is not necessary how to resolve the issue of having this popup launch at every startup. (There are more issues but I wanted to take one at a time so that I can learn as I am being helped.) Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!!
Hi mykl, and welcome to the WTT forums,

This situation usually happens when some malicious element on your machine (virus, Worm Trojan etc) is removed by an Anti virus application, or one of your other protections, leaving behind an entry in the Registry that is calling for the deleted file(s) on starting your machine.
This results in the sort of error message that you are receiving.

You are advised therefore to follow tallin's excellent advice and follow the link that was provided to here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
You will need to read this carefully and follow the directions given posting an HiJackThis log in the correct place (not here on this sub forum please)

An expert malware fighter will be able to analyse your log and determine if there are any "undesirable elements" still present on your machine. If so they will provide you with full and detailed removal instructions.

When the malware fighter tells you that your log looks clean, that might be a good time for you to consider joining our classroom, learn from the experts and fight the bad guys. The training to be a malware fighter is well constructed, free of charge, carried out online and will be supervised by acknowledged experts in their field.

When posting your log in the malware removal forum, provide a link to this topic here, so the malware removal expert knows what's been going on, and mention please that you have been referred by the "Tech Team "
Regards
paws
:thumbup: Good move on your part to post that log on the HJT forum. As the forum is extremely busy please be patient and do not bump you log or answer it as the accredited expert volunteers look for posts in order and unanswered. Good luck and kind regards,