Don't Know What To Do?
9 min read
Latley I have been having problems with my laptop. I get an error messege everytime windows starts up which I have attached. Also just in the past two days I have lost the sound when I click on sounds and audio device in control panel it says no audio device and everthing is greyed out. The last thing when I try and rund system restore I get and error that reads " System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, than run System Restore again." I have restarted my computer countless times and even left it turned off over night and still that messege pops up when I try and run system restore.
Hi ~AngelBabi~,
Welcome to WhatTheTech,
Please post your enquiry in font that can be understood. It comes over on my computer as pale pink which is very difficult to read.
kind regards,
Latley I have been having problems with my laptop. I get an error messege everytime windows starts up which I have attached. Also just in the past two days I have lost the sound when I click on sounds and audio device in control panel it says no audio device and everthing is greyed out. The last thing when I try and rund system restore I get and error that reads " System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, than run System Restore again." I have restarted my computer countless times and even left it turned off over night and still that messege pops up when I try and run system restore.
Hi ~AngelBabi~,
Welcome to WhatTheTech,![]()
Please post your enquiry in font that can be understood. It comes over on my computer as pale pink which is very difficult to read.
kind regards,
Sorry about the font. Anyways it's not letting me upload the error messege anywhere so I can post it on here so this is what it says. "Error Loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\gzmrotate.dll The specified module could not be found.
Try the following and post back if you need more help. SFC does not give you a report but will install any missing files from your OS if need be.
kind regards,
______________________________________
Backup/archive/copy
To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)
Windows Protected System File Checker SFC
Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
__________________________
Please follow up with the following and don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed
There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point.
System Restore Point facility
Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.
Note 1 using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)
Note 2 It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.
Kind regards,
http://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=1183
Since you don't have a XP CD, download a CD iso image from either of the following:
XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console
There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will create a bootable CD from the iso file.
Boot the CD and enter R at the first opportunity to get to the Recovery Console, then follow the directions at the first link above.
Hi ~AngelBabi~,
the file that you have identified is related to possibly adware/spyware that may presently be on your machine, or which may have been removed, but not completely.
Please strongly consider posting a hjt Log over into our Malware Removal Forum
Doug
Alright, now how would I go about doing this? I am no good with computers what-so-ever.
Thanks
Katie
Please follow this link http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
kind regards,
You seem to have two very different projects going on at the same time just now.
1. One is the System File Checker utilizing the downloaded ISO of the Recovery Disk that was kindly linked for you.
—- This is where you are probably encountering the "R" for Recovery Console.
—- Though you have been receiving excellent recommendations and instructions for this procedure, I am inclined to urge you
—- to complete the work in Malware Removal prior to working on these issues above.
2. Malware Removal work, including the posting of HJT Log into our Malware Removal Forum where you will receive trained —-Malware Removal assistance. <– should be fully completed prior to returning to your work in #1.
Best Regards
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI