Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

WIRELESS NOT CONNECTED, FIREWALLED...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hi, The firewall that I way saying should be disabled is your 2 way software firewall, not the hardware one in your WAP/router. (The hardware firewall should be enabled.) Have a look in your Start> Programs and check for your firewall by its name. Usually it will have an icon in the notification area,( to the left of your clock ) some common applications) programs that include a firewall are; most Internet Security Suites Norton McAfee Panda Zone Alarm Commodo Sygate CA Kaspersky etc (you can fire up a search engine and search for details of any program you are unsure of. Let us know how you go Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hi, The firewall that I way saying should be disabled is your 2 way software firewall, not the hardware one in your WAP/router. (The hardware firewall should be enabled.) OK NEXT TO THE CLOCK IS THE WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER , AND IN THE FIREWALL SECTION I DID TURN IT OFF AND REBOOT IT, STILL NOTHING. Have a look in your Start> Programs and check for your firewall by its name. Usually it will have an icon in the notification area,( to the left of your clock ) some common applications) programs that include a firewall are; most Internet Security Suites Norton McAfee Panda Zone Alarm Commodo Sygate CA Kaspersky etc (you can fire up a search engine and search for details of any program you are unsure of. WHEN I GO TO THE START MENU AND THEN TO PROGRAMS I DON'T SEE ANY OF THESE ITEMS LISTED.

#18 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hi Ok
Just to make a final check,
go here:
http://pcpitstop.com/
register, accept the ActiveX control, run a full test and post back here the "Tech Express" link (not all the details) just the link.
so I can see what you are actually running.
You will need to connect to the Internet so you will need to cable your machine to your WAP/router and set the Realtec to enabled.
regards.
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#19 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

OK HERE IS THE LINK:

http://www.pcpitstop...CF3SWZHKMVS7U7G

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

#20 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

Hi, Ok
Thanks for the tech Express link
Lots of work needed there!! Huge amount of stuff in startup, Norton WMI still around although it looks like you uninstalled the rest of Norton, configurations not updated,. vulnerable Java, etc etc. However lets get your wireless Internet up and running first. Then if you want we can get your system running smarter.

Last month you had a thread open in the malware removal forum:

http://forums.whatth...169#entry416169

where a Toshiba machine was found to be infected. Is this the same machine?

If so I notice that you did not continue with the malware removal work and did not send in the logs requested by your expert malware fighter (Scotty) If this is the same machine we may ask you to take up the malware removal work where you left off ,and it's particularly important that you clean up your machine in accordance with the malware removal experts final instructions., They are provided when all the work has been completed and the final HJT logs look to be clean of undesirable elements.

In the meantime, the exact make and model number of your router is needed together with the same info for your modem (my search engine could find no reference to the WESTELL MODEM MODEL # E90-160030-06.that you mentioned .

Some more things for you to do please

1 Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections Take a screen dump of the page and post it here or let me know the settings
Next.
2 Start> Control Panel>Network Connections Right click on your wireless connection, click on properties, click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and tell me the settings you have, also click on Advanced and advise if you have DHCP enabled
3 Please do the same as far as you can for your connection that is called Broadband connection.

Finally try this from a command prompt:

1 Click on Start> Run
2 Type in the white box
cmd (Hit the enter key)
Type in
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (Note the spaces, the backslash, the colon and the dot, it all must be exact)
(Hit the enter key.)
When the command has executed
Type
Exit ( to exit from the command prompt)
Now close down your computer in the normal way, wait one minute with a blank, black screen, then restart your machine and see how you go.
Regards
paws

#21 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hi, Ok

http://forums.whatth...169#entry416169

where a Toshiba machine was found to be infected. Is this the same machine?
YES THIS IS THE SAME LAPTOP THAT HAD THE PROBLEMS WITH THE MALWARE.

In the meantime, the exact make and model number of your router is needed together with the same info for your modem (my search engine could find no reference to the WESTELL MODEM MODEL # E90-160030-06.that you mentioned .

THE CORRECT MODEL # IS E90-610030-06

Some more things for you to do please

1 Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections Take a screen dump of the page and post it here or let me know the settings
Next.

IT WON'T LET ME DO A PRINT SCREEN SO I WILL LIST EVERYTHING I SEE:
UNDER THE DIAL-UP VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK SETTINGS IT SAYS BROADBAND CONNECTION

UNDER CHOOSE SETTINGS IF YOU NEED TO CONFIGURE A PROXY SERVER FOR A CONNECTION IT SAYS NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION.

WHEN I CLICK ON THE LAN SETTINGS ONLY AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS IS CHECKED.

2 Start> Control Panel>Network Connections Right click on your wireless connection, click on properties, click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and tell me the settings you have, also click on Advanced and advise if you have DHCP enabled

OK UNDER THE TCP/IP PROPERTIES OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY AND OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY IS CHECKED. AND WHEN I CLICK ON ADVANCED DHCP IS ENABLED.

3 Please do the same as far as you can for your connection that is called Broadband connection.

FOR BROADBAND CONNECTION UNDER TCP/IP PROPERTIES THE OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY AND OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY IS CHECKED. AND WHEN I CLICKED ADVANCED I DONT SEE ANYTHING THAT SAYS DHCP.
THIS IS WHAT IS IN THAT SECTION:

UNDER THE GENERAL TAB THE USE DEFAULT GATEWAY ON REMOTE NETWORK.

THEN UNDER THE DNS TAB APPEND PRIMAY AND CONNECTION SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIXES AND APPEND PARENT SUFFIXES OF THE PRIMARY DNS SUFFIX ARE CHECKED.

LASTLY, UNDER THE WINS TAB ENABLE LMHOSTS LOOKUP AND DISABLE NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP ARE CHECKED.

Finally try this from a command prompt:

1 Click on Start> Run
2 Type in the white box
cmd (Hit the enter key)
Type in
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (Note the spaces, the backslash, the colon and the dot, it all must be exact)
(Hit the enter key.)
When the command has executed
Type
Exit ( to exit from the command prompt)
Now close down your computer in the normal way, wait one minute with a blank, black screen, then restart your machine and see how you go.

OK I HAVE DONE THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED NEXT.

#22 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

Hi Thanks, Now double click on your Wirless network connection and see if you can connect Advise any error code that appear Try the same with your "Broadband" connection regards paws

#23 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi Thanks, Now double click on your Wirless network connection and see if you can connect. Advise any error code that appear.

OK WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT TO THROUGH THE WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION IT DOESNT CONNECT NOR DOES IT GIVE AN ERROR MESSAGE. HOWEVER, WHEN I TRY TO DO A REPAIR IT GIVES THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE: "WINDOWS COULD NOT FINISH REPAIRING THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING ACTION CANNOT BE COMPLETED: CONNECTING TO THE WIRELESS CONNECTION.

** I DID DISABLE THE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION,SHOULD I HAVE DONE THAT? **

Try the same with your "Broadband" connection
THIS IS WHAT APPEARS WHEN I USE THIS CONNECTION IT ASKS FOR A USER NAME AND PASSWORD AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PUT HERE.

#24 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hi Ok, Lets stick with the wireless connection, Are you absolutely 100% sure that your router is broadcasting an Unencrypted signal? If so then I think you had better ask a chum with a known working wifi laptop to see if their laptop can connect. Regards paws

#25 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hi I have just been reviewing the posts. Have you tried power cycling the WAP/router...switch it off disconnect electricity supply to it for 3 minutes , then reconnect it and see how you go. If still no joy then you need a chum with a working laptop to test further! Regards paws

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

I have just been reviewing the posts.
Have you tried power cycling the WAP/router...switch it off disconnect electricity supply to it for 3 minutes , then reconnect it and see how you go.

I HAVE TRIED POWER CYCLING THE ROUTER AND STILL NO LUCK. THE LAPTOP IS STILL WORKING THROUGH BEING CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE ROUTER.

I HAVE NOTICED THAT NOW THE INTERNET EXPLORER ISN'T WORKING PROPERLY EITHER. AFTER BEING ON THERE FOR A FEW MINUTES, IT WILL KICK ME OUT WITH THAT DREADED "SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE..." MESSAGE. THAT IS VERY ANNOYING BECAUSE NOTHING CAN BE DONE THAT WAY. SO I ENDED UP DOWNLOADING FIREFOX AND THAT WAS WORKING OK FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS, THEN THAT STARTED WORKING FUNNY TOO. I CAN'T GO ONTO JAVA SITES AND I THOUGHT I ENABLED IT AND EVIDENTLY I DIDN'T. THEN IT WILL ALSO SAY GIVE ME A MESSAGE SAYING THAT TOO MANY FIREFOX PROGRAMS ARE BEING RUN TO OPEN ANOTHER, WHEN THERE AREN'T ANY PROGRAMS RUNNING. HOWEVER, I NOTICED THAT IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER WHERE THE CLOCK IS THAT WHEN THIS HAPPENS THERE ARE ALWAYS LIKE 5 OR 6 JAVA SYMBOLS THERE.

If still no joy then you need a chum with a working laptop to test further!

I STILL DON'T HAVE ANOTHER LAPTOP TO TEST THIS ON.

I THINK I WILL HAVE TO CALL IN THE "GEEK SQUAD" TO LOOK AT THE LAPTOP. BUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF CAN THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE.

Edited by LezModel, 01 January 2008 - 12:23 PM.

#27 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Hi, I still think it would be best to get a chum with a wifi equipped laptop to see if it will connect wirelessly.......if it will then at least you have narrowed down the problem to your laptop. However at the moment we cannot rule out either a fault in your router your modem or configuration settings! Double check before you incur expense that your software firewall (if fitted,as it should be!) is temporarily disabled, your SSID is being broadcast, You are NOT using encryption either WEP or WPA or MAC filtering, that your Wireless connection is enabled and that you have checked the lights on your router indicate that the wireless is transmitting. Regards paws

#28 jorlando

jorlando

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:08 AM

look at that post:

http://forums.whatth...view=getnewpost

I don't know why, but I think that you have got the same problem that I had.

verify that the eventlog service is set to automatic and started.

it is a guess...

hth