Lets see if we can get the PC back on the internet. This file will fit on a floppy or thumb drive.
Get a copy of winsockxpfix.exe You just run it and
things should work OK after it reboots your system.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
Ran it and no change. It said that all repairs were complete, but now that I'm on it still appears as if it is in Safe Mode. The thing is beeping everytime a confirmation box opens and it looks as if I'm running Windows 98 - like I'm in Safe Mode? Any other suggestions?
It really sounds like you are having a hardware problem. Have you tried powering it off? Not just rebooting but shutting it off. Wait about 5 minutes and restart. Let me know if you get any beeps on startup.
Yes, I found this problem this morning. I let it sit powered down all day. I tried it when I came home from work and the problem is the same. I'll try it again, hold on…Nope, nothing. I am talking to a friend of mine now who is a guru when it comes to computers, I hope he can help.Any other suggestions?
You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)