Thanks for the help so far, LDTate,
this is quite a fat reply I'm afraid….
I've gone through those steps, and here are the results:
Here's the FixWareout report:
Username "Max" - 11/06/2007 21:43:37 [Fixwareout edited 9/01/2007]
~~~~~ Prerun check
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces\{EF78E46D-3140-427B-835A-0A66FBBB9998}
"nameserver"="85.255.115.86,85.255.112.220"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces\{FEB15DE5-5A0D-4F92-921F-A1F8B95489E0}
"nameserver"="85.255.115.86,85.255.112.220"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces\{4E0801F4-4490-4F27-9CB1-7D7E011C1E86}
"DhcpNameServer"="[removed],[removed]"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces\{EF78E46D-3140-427B-835A-0A66FBBB9998}
"DhcpNameServer"="[removed],[removed]"
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
System was rebooted successfully.
~~~~~ Postrun check
HKLM\SOFTWARE\~\Winlogon\ "System"="kdzcb.exe"
….
….
~~~~~ Misc files.
….
~~~~~ Checking for older varients.
….
~~~~~ Current runs (hklm hkcu "run" Keys Only)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"IntelliPoint"="\"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft IntelliPoint\\ipoint.exe\""
"C-Media Mixer"="Mixer.exe /startup"
"Acrobat Assistant 7.0"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 7.0\\Distillr\\Acrotray.exe\""
"!AVG Anti-Spyware"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\\avgas.exe\" /minimized"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MsnMsgr"="\"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\MsnMsgr.Exe\" /background"
"SUPERAntiSpyware"="C:\\Program Files\\SUPERAntiSpyware\\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"
"Paradyne ADSL Network Driver V2.3"="C:\\WINDOWS\\netcfgx32.exe"
….
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it…
~~~~~ End report ~~~~~
When FixWareout finished, it displayed a Finish Window which suggessed that the contents of the dnsbak.reg file could be of interst to you (the advisor!) -so I've included that here:
(contents of the dnsbak.reg file)
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters]
"NV Hostname"="OLDPC"
"DataBasePath"=hex(2):25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,52,6f,6f,74,25,5c,53,79,73,74,65,6d,\
33,32,5c,64,72,69,76,65,72,73,5c,65,74,63,00
"NameServer"="208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222 "
"ForwardBroadcasts"=dword:00000000
"IPEnableRouter"=dword:00000000
"Domain"=""
"Hostname"="OLDPC"
"SearchList"=""
"UseDomainNameDevolution"=dword:00000001
"EnableICMPRedirect"=dword:00000001
"DeadGWDetectDefault"=dword:00000001
"DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault"=dword:00000000
"EnableSecurityFilters"=dword:00000000
"DhcpNameServer"="192.168.1.254"
"DhcpDomain"="home"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters\NdisWanIp]
"LLInterface"="WANARP"
"IpConfig"=hex(7):54,63,70,69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,\
65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,7b,31,39,30,34,32,36,35,42,2d,30,33,44,34,2d,34,43,\
30,35,2d,42,45,46,45,2d,39,44,37,44,44,35,41,45,46,31,43,37,7d,00,54,63,70,\
69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,\
7b,44,37,30,39,45,41,37,37,2d,32,41,43,39,2d,34,31,34,31,2d,39,45,46,37,2d,\
30,31,39,39,35,39,43,33,46,44,37,33,7d,00,00
"NumInterfaces"=dword:00000002
"IpInterfaces"=hex:5b,26,04,19,d4,03,05,4c,be,fe,9d,7d,d5,ae,f1,c7,77,ea,09,d7,\
c9,2a,41,41,9e,f7,01,99,59,c3,fd,73
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters\{48043F9E-F5B5-46F3-82C4-1462795D76CC}]
"LLInterface"=""
"IpConfig"=hex(7):54,63,70,69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,\
65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,7b,34,38,30,34,33,46,39,45,2d,46,35,42,35,2d,34,36,\
46,33,2d,38,32,43,34,2d,31,34,36,32,37,39,35,44,37,36,43,43,7d,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters\{4E0801F4-4490-4F27-9CB1-7D7E011C1E86}]
"LLInterface"=""
"IpConfig"=hex(7):54,63,70,69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,\
65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,7b,34,45,30,38,30,31,46,34,2d,34,34,39,30,2d,34,46,\
32,37,2d,39,43,42,31,2d,37,44,37,45,30,31,31,43,31,45,38,36,7d,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters\{EF78E46D-3140-427B-835A-0A66FBBB9998}]
"LLInterface"=""
"IpConfig"=hex(7):54,63,70,69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,\
65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,7b,45,46,37,38,45,34,36,44,2d,33,31,34,30,2d,34,32,\
37,42,2d,38,33,35,41,2d,30,41,36,36,46,42,42,42,39,39,39,38,7d,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Adapters\{FEB15DE5-5A0D-4F92-921F-A1F8B95489E0}]
"LLInterface"=""
"IpConfig"=hex(7):54,63,70,69,70,5c,50,61,72,61,6d,65,74,65,72,73,5c,49,6e,74,\
65,72,66,61,63,65,73,5c,7b,46,45,42,31,35,44,45,35,2d,35,41,30,44,2d,34,46,\
39,32,2d,39,32,31,46,2d,41,31,46,38,42,39,35,34,38,39,45,30,7d,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\DNSRegisteredAdapters]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{1904265B-03D4-4C05-BEFE-9D7DD5AEF1C7}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000000
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"DontAddDefaultGateway"=dword:00000000
"NameServer"=""
"DhcpNameServer"="208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222 "
"Domain"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{48043F9E-F5B5-46F3-82C4-1462795D76CC}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00
"NameServer"="208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222 "
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00
"NTEContextList"=hex(7):00
"DhcpNameServer"="208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222 "
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{4E0801F4-4490-4F27-9CB1-7D7E011C1E86}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00
"NameServer"="208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222 "
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00
"NTEContextList"=hex(7):30,78,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,32,00,00
"DhcpNameServer"="[removed],[removed]"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{D709EA77-2AC9-4141-9EF7-019959C3FD73}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000000
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"DontAddDefaultGateway"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{EF78E46D-3140-427B-835A-0A66FBBB9998}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00
"NameServer"="85.255.115.86,85.255.112.220"
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00
"NTEContextList"=hex(7):00
"DhcpClassIdBin"=hex:
"DhcpServer"="255.255.255.255"
"Lease"=dword:00000e10
"LeaseObtainedTime"=dword:4727667f
"T1"=dword:47276d87
"T2"=dword:472772cd
"LeaseTerminatesTime"=dword:4727748f
"IPAutoconfigurationAddress"="0.0.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationMask"="255.255.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationSeed"=dword:00000000
"AddressType"=dword:00000000
"DhcpNameServer"="[removed],[removed]"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Interfaces\{FEB15DE5-5A0D-4F92-921F-A1F8B95489E0}]
"UseZeroBroadcast"=dword:00000000
"EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000001
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000001
"IPAddress"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):30,2e,30,2e,30,2e,30,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00
"DefaultGatewayMetric"=hex(7):00
"NameServer"="85.255.115.86,85.255.112.220"
"Domain"=""
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RegisterAdapterName"=dword:00000000
"TCPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"UDPAllowedPorts"=hex(7):30,00,00
"RawIPAllowedProtocols"=hex(7):30,00,00
"NTEContextList"=hex(7):30,78,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,32,00,00
"DhcpClassIdBin"=hex:
"DhcpIPAddress"="192.168.1.66"
"DhcpSubnetMask"="255.255.255.0"
"DhcpServer"="192.168.1.254"
"Lease"=dword:00015180
"LeaseObtainedTime"=dword:4730df8b
"T1"=dword:4731884b
"T2"=dword:473206db
"LeaseTerminatesTime"=dword:4732310b
"IPAutoconfigurationAddress"="0.0.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationMask"="255.255.0.0"
"IPAutoconfigurationSeed"=dword:00000000
"AddressType"=dword:00000000
"DhcpNameServer"="192.168.1.254"
"DhcpDomain"="home"
"DhcpSubnetMaskOpt"=hex(7):32,35,35,2e,32,35,35,2e,32,35,35,2e,30,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\PersistentRoutes]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\Winsock]
"UseDelayedAcceptance"=dword:00000000
"HelperDllName"=hex(2):25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,52,6f,6f,74,25,5c,53,79,73,74,65,\
6d,33,32,5c,77,73,68,74,63,70,69,70,2e,64,6c,6c,00
"MaxSockAddrLength"=dword:00000010
"MinSockAddrLength"=dword:00000010
"Mapping"=hex:0b,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,02,\
00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,00,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,02,00,00,\
00,02,00,00,00,11,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,\
00,00,00,00,11,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,11,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,\
00,00,00,11,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
In Control Panel, my network connections are, I think….. unusual(?)
📎NetworkConnections.jpg
……….Not sure how unorthodox this is (?!) -but it does work (!)
The pc was bought second-hand from a work colleague.
It had a network card installed, but I never had it connected.
I installed a Wireless Network card recently, and the Internet Properties (TCP/IP) are to be found by right-clicking the Network Bridge
Within Internet Properties (TCP/IP) 'Obtain DNS Servers Automatically' was already selected
The AVG scan found 9 items, and here is the report:
———————————————————
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————
+ Created at: 10:50:24 PM 11/6/2007
+ Scan result:
HKU\S-1-5-21-57989841-1682526488-854245398-1004\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} -> Adware.Generic : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\sysimae.exe -> Downloader.Agent.dmx : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\max@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\max@adtech[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\max@advertising[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\max@atdmt[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\[removed][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Pointroll : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Cookies\max@login.tracking101[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tracking101 : Cleaned.
::Report end
I rebooted, and ran HJT, and here's the log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:56:57 PM, on 11/6/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\dpupdchk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\AcroDist.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\RALINK\Common\RaUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://uk.msn.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Paradyne ADSL Network Driver V2.3] C:\WINDOWS\netcfgx32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Ralink Wireless Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\RALINK\Common\RaUI.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{48043F9E-F5B5-46F3-82C4-1462795D76CC}: NameServer = 208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4E0801F4-4490-4F27-9CB1-7D7E011C1E86}: NameServer = 208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 208.67.220.220,208.67.222.222
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
The PC seems to be behaving fine -it's not sluggish at all. The only problem seems to be the re-direction to these un-requested search pages.
I'm not sure if this has any relevance, but a little while ago, the pc had a major crash, with the warning :
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\congif\system
I followed some advice to fix this, using a recovery console disc and also Emergency Boot CD -the problem was fixed in that I could get back to windows, but not my old data. As a result I have separate log-on identities now, one for myself and one for my son. I've been doing all the above while logged-on as my son, as the pc was infected while he was logged on. Both identities have administrator rights.
I'm not sure if this set-up is good/bad/indifferent/..unbelievably awful(!) -much like the network connection set-up -I don't know a great deal about these things -but they seemed to work OK, and I assume (always dangerous, I know..) that it won't have a direct liink to the infection which you're helping me with here….
Also, because the pc was bought second-hand a good few years ago, I don't have the XP install cds, and I don't think it's running SP2..
(sorry if this catalogue of information just sounds like one huge nightmare!)
So I think that's the full picture of this old PC and it's current state -hope it's some help.
thanks again LDTate,
Bill.