This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] browser hijack help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
I'm a new member and in need of some help. I seem to have a trojan that's hijacked my browser. I think the trojan is a variant of the cool search virus. Whenever I do a search on google and click on one of the search results I get redirected to a web site with unrelated search topics on it. The web sites either begin with "freshweather or searchdaily" in the address bar. I only experience this in Internet Explorer and Firefox seems un affected, but I prefer internet Explorer and I'd rather get rid of it. I have the free version of AVG installed and it catches this virus on startup, but every time I heal it, it comes back the next time I boot up. I downloaded Hijackthis and saved a log file, which I have included below. Any help would be much appreciated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 00:56:15, on 28/10/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 6\ABMTSR.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zamaan's Software\Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.5\BHR.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Neil Baillie\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {54CCB2E4-2736-4597-838F-EE51D0257DC7} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dpseria.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8D76C7E9-94CE-4D3B-9D0A-8B9F163A3387} - c:\windows\system32\ebmaebm.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus DX3800 Series] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIACE.EXE" /P26 "EPSON Stylus DX3800 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus DX3800"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe" /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BHR] C:\Program Files\Zamaan's Software\Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.5\BHR.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Album Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 6\ABMTSR.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal…ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1185645337045
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1167651348500
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{5004D1D9-8360-4561-8A96-6C437BF3CBC2}: NameServer = 62.241.163.200 62.241.162.201
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{5004D1D9-8360-4561-8A96-6C437BF3CBC2}: NameServer = 62.241.163.200 62.241.162.201
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{5004D1D9-8360-4561-8A96-6C437BF3CBC2}: NameServer = 62.241.162.200 62.241.163.201
O20 - Winlogon Notify: oaooljtv - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ebmaebm.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

Thanks in advance,
Neil
  • Hello, and welcome to the forum.

    My name is Simon V., and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

    HijackThis logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happens.

    I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

    I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
  • Hi :)

    ComboFix
  • Please download Combofix from one of the links below:

    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
  • Double-click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
    • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Save it to a convenient location.
    Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

    Make an Uninstall List
  • To access the Uninstall Manager you would do the following:

    1. Start HijackThis
    2. Click on the Config button
    3. Click on the Misc Tools button
    4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
    5. Click on the Save list… button and save the file to a convenient location. When you press Save, Notepad will open with the contents of that file.

    Report Back
  • Please post the report from Combofix and the Uninstall List, along with a new HijackThis log in your next reply.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI