This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connection problems

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a Belkin wireless g router. I have been using the internet through this routher for around 12 months now. When I first installed it, I had problems connecting to some websites…..such as Hotmail, Online Banking etc etc. Just recently I had problems with my connection…….I keep getting the 'page cannot be displayed' page in internet explorer. I was in contact with one of you guys and I got told to run a program called winsockxpfix. I ran this program and now I'm back to square one and cannot connect to some websites. Please help!!
Hello hombre,

Try running the following commands from the command line:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Let us know how it is at this point.

Regards,

Ax
I dont know if it helps, but when i got it working in the first place, I needed to download a program called DRTCP021. This made the connection to these websites work. Thanks in advance Hombre
Last diagnostic run time: 10/29/07 10:09:54 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com. warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired warn HTTPS: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation timed out error Could not make an HTTPS connection. info Redirecting user to support call DNS Client Diagnostic DNS - Not a home user scenario info Using Web Proxy: no info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes No DNS servers DNS failure Gateway Diagnostic Gateway info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list: info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.2.1 info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.2.2 info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies) info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies) info TCP port 80 on host [removed] was successfully reached info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached info The default gateway is OK IP Layer Diagnostic Corrupted IP routing table info The default route is valid info The loopback route is valid info The local host route is valid info The local subnet route is valid Invalid ARP cache entries action The ARP cache has been flushed IP Configuration Diagnostic Invalid IP address info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.2 Wireless Diagnostic Wireless - Service disabled Wireless - User SSID action User input required: Specify network name or SSID Wireless - First time setup info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = mclean. Wireless - Radio off info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.2 Wireless - Out of range Wireless - Hardware issue Wireless - Novice user Wireless - Ad-hoc network Wireless - Less preferred Wireless - 802.1x enabled Wireless - Configuration mismatch Wireless - Low SNR WinSock Diagnostic WinSock status info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog. info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid. info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test. info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test. info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers. Network Adapter Diagnostic Network location detection info Using home Internet connection Network adapter identification info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection action User input required: Select network connection info Wireless connection selected Network adapter status info Network connection status: Connected HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com. warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired warn HTTPS: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation timed out error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
Thanks,

In IE7, go to Tools | Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and click the Reset… button. At the prompt, confirm by clicking Reset.

Restart your computer, run through the diagnostic again, post the log, and let us know the status of your issue.

Also, are you using a Firewall or other security software that could possibly block a secure connection?

Regards,

Ax
Hi Thanks for your help, but I resolved the issue myself. I checked on the Belkin website and recieved online help with someone elses computer. If you have any tips or guidance to help keep my compter running smoothly, please let me know as im not the brightest with technology!!! :-) Thanks so much again. Hombre
:thumbup: Glad to hear it! Just make sure you are running updated antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall, and you should fare well. Clean up temp files and defragment your hard drive often. Run Check Disk once in a while. I believe that covers the main items to take care of. See you around! Regards, Ax
Hi, I am having problems with my internet connection. I can be using the internet and then all of a sudden, it cuts off. My wireless connection says that im still connected however all I get is 'page cannot be displayed' This happens every time im connected to the internet….I cant tell you how long it takes to cut off as it varies every time im on the internet. Please help Hombre
Is this the same machine and the same problem that you had been working on with Ax238 in an earlier thread? If so, I'l merge this topic into the older one so we can benefit from things you've already tried. If not the same machine/problem, then tell us more about your machine, internet connection, network, browser and circumstances in which you encounter the problem. Best Regards
Hi Yeah, same machine and kind of the same problem. I am using a Belkin wireless g router. When I first installed the router, I ws having problems connecting to certain websites. Hotmail and online banking for example. I searched for ages to find a solution as Belkin had no firmware updates. I found a program called Dr TCP. This did the trick and everything was fine. Sometimes when Im using the internet, the internet pages will not load. This problem was getting more frequent. So I got in touch with one of your guys. They told me to download winsockxpfix and run it. I did this and also a couple of other things in DOS, and I was back to sqaure one. I could no longer connect to Hotmail or online banking again. I searched again, and eventually got it working again. But now I have the problem where sometimes internet explorer will just not connect to any webpages at all. However the internet connection is still connected and showing and excellent signal. Baffled??? I am!! :-) Please help me again Thanks in advance Hombre
I'll merge this topic with the one you have been working on with Ax238, hopefully to make it easier to maintain continuity of investigation and recommendations. Doug
Hello again Hombre, Bummer we didn't have that fixed for long. Let's do another run of the Network Diagnostics Tool and post the new diagnostic log. Regards, Ax
Hi Should I wait for the 'page cannot be displayed' to show up? I have just ran the diagnostics tool, but it is saying there are no connection problems. Thanks Hombre

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI