Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Options Missing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Russ2

Russ2

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:16 AM

Good Morning! My name is Russ and I am not very Tech savy. I recently developed a problem not being able to access " Internet Options" anywhere on my computer. If I try to select it in the drop down menu from the toolbar, the window flickers but won't open. If I try to access it from the Control Panel, the Icon for internet options under Network and Internet Connections does not respond and is blank beside it. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Thanks! Russ2

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hello Russ and welcome to WTT!

Sorry to hear about the problem that you are having. I'd like to help you resolve this issue, but I first need to know a few things:
  • Are you using IE6 or IE7?
  • Is there any error message that appears when you encounter this issue?
  • Can you continue normal operation after the issue is encountered?
  • Do you have any security software installed, such as an antivirus (Norton, McAfee, AVG, Avast!, etc), anti-spyware (Spybot - Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, etc), or other software that protects system/internet settings?
Once we correctly identify the nature of the issue, we can proceed at attempting to resolve it.

Regards,

Ax

#3 Russ2

Russ2

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

AX, Thank you for responding! I am running IE7. The system operates normally and I do not get any error messages. I have the following Security Software: Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security; Webroot Spysweeper; AT&T Yahoo On-line Protection. Any suggestions? Russ2

#4 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

Russ, I am thinking one or more of your security applications has Internet Explorer settings protection enabled. You can try disabling the IE Protection setting of each application individually (or just disable the app if you can't find a setting) and accessing "Internet Options" through the control panel (do not go online). Regards, Ax

Edited by Ax238, 03 October 2007 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Russ2

Russ2

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

Ax, Are the Internet Options mainly for security and if they are and my system is secured with the software programs that I have installed, should I even be concerned that they can't be directly accessed on my computer as currently configured? Russ2

#6 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Russ, If I understand you correctly, you're asking me whether you should be concerned that you can't access the Internet Options with your current application configuration settings. I would say your concerns on this would mainly be if you ever wanted to change anything with Internet Explorer. Among the changes would be the following: setting the homepage, deleting cookies/history, changing appearance of webpages, setting security options, setting privacy options, changing connection properties, and the default programs Internet Explorer uses for email and other tasks. This list is not all-inclusive, but represents a majority of the changes more frequently done through the Internet Options. I hope this answers your question. Regardless of this, anytime one is unable to access something on one's computer for no apparent reason, it is cause for concern and should be addressed appropriately. Regards, Ax

Edited by Ax238, 04 October 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#7 Russ2

Russ2

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

Ax, THank you again for getting back to me. I guess you can tell that I am not a very experienced computer user. I will try adjusting or disabling my security programs and then go to Internet Options through the Control Panel and get back to you. Russ2

#8 Russ2

Russ2

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

AX, Things were not adding up for me. I had no problems accessing Internet Options despite all my security programs until about two weeks ago when I started having problems accessing my email through AT&T Yahoo. I contacted AT&T's Tech help and we went through a lenghty process before they decided that it just must have been a temporary Yahoo problem. One of the procedures they had me try was to delete IE7 and revert back to IE6 because they had experienced some similar problems with IE7 in the past. I forgot that they never advised me to re-install IE7. I went to the Microsoft download site and downloaded and re=installed IE7 and miraculously I am now able to access Internet Options. Thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate this forum. Maybe others that experience the same situation will be able to resolve the issue by reading this message. Russ2

#9 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

:thumbup: Glad to hear it Russ! Way to go! We're always here to help when you need it :). Regards, Ax

#10 bigtram

bigtram

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

I need help with Internet Options missing problem. I am not computer saavy at all. When I go to Control Panel, the Internet Option icon is missing. Also, when I go to the Tools drop down window for Internet Options, I get the following message: "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". My son recently installed an anti malware program. Could that have caused a problem with Internet Options?? Any help will be appreciated. Bigtram

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 -Redeye-

-Redeye-

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Gaming etc

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hey bigtram, I believe it is due to you being on some sort of network, such as a School/University or Corporate one. The only way around this would be to contact your System Admin (usually the IT Department). Hope this helps, Redeye

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Bigtram, do you have XP Home Edition or XP Professional? If XP Pro, see here: Restrict Access to Internet Options Menu

See if Internet Options is disabled as shown. If so, undo it.

If XP Home then we will need to find another way to fix this.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#13 bigtram

bigtram

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have XP home edition and I believe I am registered as the administrator. Thanks for the help. Bigtram

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Please let me know if that helps or not, thanks.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#15 bigtram

bigtram

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Please let me know if that helps or not, thanks.