This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Riyocodec

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I doubt if very many folks have had experience with Riyocodec yet, since it was only released in August 2007.

Their Website and download page offer "very little" about their product.
That doesn't mean that it is bad or bundled with spyware.
It just leaves us with very little information, until others and third-party reviewers start posting about it.

Not sure what you hope to improve with the Riyocodec, but there are other codec packs available that have more documentation and have been widely reviewed.

I like K-Lite Mega Codec Plus
http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack_d5230.html

Hope the above helps.

If you decide to give Riyocodec a test drive, please post your results and experience for others to learn from.

Best Regards
RiyoCodec is not a codec. The installer is full of trojans and malware. The movie it is supposedly required for in my case is just junk data. Don't install, mark download as infected, download different movie :)
Correction to my earlier post!

The movie I downloaded was Rendition (2007) and the file that came with it said:

"If you have downloaded a movie over the Bittorrent Network and are unable
to view it don't wonder. Our movies are encoded with a new codec.
For higher quality and smaller size.

Just go here >> http://www.riyocodec.com << to download the codec"

I got suspicious with the simplicity of the web site!
A quick check: Open the file in an editor. AVI files will start with a header which looks like this: RIFFš¸’AVI LISTN or RIFFÌö× AVI LIST~B or something similar, whereas the file I downloaded starts with junk like: N§7Ý×™BU>Sü ÊŽD"Ä€æÓ5âÞ¹•ÕZz!ä
Hi People,

I've consulted and directly investigated a little further, and find no reason to assert that RiyoCodec contains malware or virus.
Neither have I been able to "conclusively" prove that it does not.
Neither have I developed any information to recommend that the utility does what it asserts itself to do.
I will not be taking any further steps to investigate at this time.

Please consider that all web offerings have had to be "new" at some time or another.
Being "new" does not make a utility "bad".
However, the scarcity of information available about it, even from their website, makes it difficult to investigate and recommend.

At WhatTheTech Forums we do not publish unsubstantiated conclusions in support or condemnation of a product.
Any recommendation would necessarily be based on review from competent reliable authoritative review sources.

So at this time it would be better to "wait and see".

The Codec that I recommended above (K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from the reliable linked source) is known to be safe and to function well.

Any time you are presented with an urgent or one-option-only choice with which to proceed on the internet, you should be suspicious and cautious.


The information provided by raphidae is interesting, but not sufficient to assure that media is free of corruption or malware. Readers should make their own judgment about the legitimacy/safety of materials on their own computer.

** Finally, we do not support, nor assist in the download, handling, or use of media that may be in violation of copywrite or other contractual rules.
No one in this thread, up to this point has crossed that line of rule.
Please be mindful of this Rule, and do not post recommendations or links to information/media/utilities that violate copywrite law or contractual rules.

Best Regards
I have to assume this thread includes a discussion about an illegal download of movie / movies.

As Doug pointed out,

we do not support, nor assist in the download, handling, or use of media that may be in violation of copywrite or other contractual rules.


Therefore this topic and any topics like it will be closed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI