This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Print Server Configuration Looses Internet Connection

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI


When I successfully configured a D-Link DP-301P Print Server connected to a Lexmark 4039+ printer through one of the four wired Linksys BEFSR41W router connections I could print a document.
However, I could no longer connect to the Internet with the computer I configured the Print Server with. The other computers all would connect to the Internet. (I haven't quite figured how to set them up to print to the Lexmark, one problem at a time.

My question is, Do I need a dedicated computer to make this work and loose my Internet connection? Or am I doing something wrong?

D-Link Support makes the following statement, "The DP-301P+ eliminates the need to have your printer connected to a host computer."
I followed D-Link's "Quick Installation Guide" to print from the computer and did the setup using.
INFO:
Port Name PS-5C570E-P1
Server Name PS-5C570E
IP Address 192.168.0.10
OS = Windows XP SP2

The only way I could connect to the Internet again was to change "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties" to Obtain IP address automatically.
If I use IP Address 192.168.0.10 then I have no Internet.

The only way I could connect to the Internet again was to change "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties" to Obtain IP address automatically.
If I use IP Address 192.168.0.10 then I have no Internet.

on one of the working computers (the one that can get on the internet) press teh start button, then run, then type "cmd" (without quotes), then type "ipconfig /all" (again…no quotes) in teh command prompt….list that info here

(i suspect that your printer's ip is on the wrong subnet)
I set up the DP-301P+ for network printing in Windows XP on one of my other wired computers following the D-Link Quick Installation Guide at http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp…d=DP%2D301P%2B#. I had to download the zipped pdf file.

After setting up the computer I could print from that computer but again not connect to the internet. I followed your instruction Start/cmd/ipconfig /all and I could still not connect to the Internet. When running "ipconfig /all" the IP address shown is [removed] and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and that is what was entered when setting up the networked printer using my web browser address at http://192.168.0.10.

Again the only way I can get Internet access is to change the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties by checking "Obtain an IP address automatically instead of checking Use the following IP address 192.168.0.52. But then I can't print to the network printer.

Thanks for your help.
Don
well…you didn't follow my instructions at all hehe here's whats going on….that print server ships with a default ip of 192.168.0.10 (i'm assuming from the info you're giving me)….your router is probably giving out an ip address of 192.168.1.x (where X is a number)….when you change your computer to be a static ip of 192.168.0.52…it can no longer communicate with your router (which is probably 192.168.1.1)…i'll need the IP config results from a computer that CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET (one that is set to automatically detect the settings) to verify these numbers though
OK,
I ran "ipconfig /all" on a computer that I could connect to the internet. The IP address shows up as 192.168.1.103.
But I cannot print from that computer. I hope that is what you needed. Now what do I do to make that sucker print and still connect to the Internet?

The Setup instructions reads as follows:
"The factory default IP address of the DP-301P+ is 192.168.0.10. In order to connect to the printer through the DP-301P+, the DP-301P+ must have the same IP network settings as your network. IP address can be assigned manually or automatically by DHCP, BOOTP or RARP. To access the print server's web configuration, manually assign an IP address on one of the PC's on your network to the same subnet as the print server."

Then the following manual setup instruction is given:

For network printing in Windows XP instructions clearly says, check "Use the following IP address:" and enter 192.168.0.52.

Your patients is appreciated.
don
ok…follow the manufacturer's instructions on changing your ip to 192.168.0.52 so that you can connect to the printer

once connected to the printer look for a settings page that has the network settings of the printer (this will be on the http://192.168.0.10 page) once there change the ip address of the printer to be 192.168.1.2 and if there's a section for "default gateway" set that to 192.168.1.1

now put your computer back to the "obtain ip automatically" settings…can you connect to the printer now?
I couldn't get past your first sentence. Following manufactures instructions as follows: On Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties I selected, "Use the following IP address" and entered 192.168.0.52. Then I clicked OK and then CLOSE. Tried printing but that failed Running "ipconfig /all" does display an IP address of 192.168.0.52. I unplugged the power to the print server to reset and that did not help. Using my browser I could not enter the Web configuration page at either 192.168.0.52 or 192.168.0.10.
That is correct. Now I have no access to either port 192.168.0.10 or 192.168.0.52. There is no reset on the D-Link DP-301P+ to default to 192.168.0.10. I do not know how to identify what the port is now. There is a MAC address of 00179A5C570E on the print server adapter.
so this:

I couldn't get past your first sentence.
Following manufactures instructions as follows:
On Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties I selected, "Use the following IP address" and entered 192.168.0.52.
Then I clicked OK and then CLOSE.
Tried printing but that failed
Running "ipconfig /all" does display an IP address of 192.168.0.52.
I unplugged the power to the print server to reset and that did not help.


Using my browser I could not enter the Web configuration page at either 192.168.0.52 or 192.168.0.10.

was after followinig the instructions in the manual correct?
You asked the question,
……ok so when we first started….you were able to follow their instructions and connect to the printer's web interface right?
I responded "That is correct."
When we first started I could connect to the Printer's Web Interface.

Now I cannot connect to the Printer's Web Interface. There is no reset button on the D-Link DP-301P+ print server. However, after much research on the Internet I located the D-Link program "PS admin". I found out if I used that program I could reset the IP address to the default of 192.168.0.10.
I tried entering that address in my browser but could not display the Web Interface.
At least I reset the server IP address. Now I am going to go back page one of the setup instructions and start over, but following your advise also.
don
wait wait! what you want to do is set the ip of the printer to match that of your computer….except for the last number your router is handing out ip addresses that match 192.168.1.X (where X is a number)…the printer is on 192.168.0.10….those two networks cannot talk you want to set the printer to be 192.168.1.X (where X is a number that doesn't match any of the ones that your computers are using…i'd suggest .2 or .3)
This is what I did.
1. Opened Network properties General Tab and selected Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Then clicked Properties.
2. In Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window I checked "Use the following IP address" and entered 192.168.0.2
(as you suggested) I then tabbed to Subnet mask and 255.255.255.0 was automatically entered. Clicked OK to apply IP address settings.
3. Opened my Web Browser and entered http://192.168.0.10 and that opened the D-Link web configuration menu.
4. I identified the Port Name as "PS-5C570E-P1" and wrote it down for entry later on.
5. Opened Printers and Faxes and double clicked Add Printer. Then Next.
6. Using Add Printer Wizard I selected "Local Printer" and unchecked "Automatically detect and install my Plug and
Play printer." Then Next.
7. Checked Create a new port and pulled down selected "Standard TCP/IP Port". Then Next.
8. Then Next again to open Add Standart TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard. I entered 192.168.0.10 (the address of the print server) and Next.
9. Selected "Custom" and clicked Settings.
10. Selected LPR and qntered Queue Name from step 4 above.. Then OK. and NEXT and Finish.
11. Selected Printer and Next
12 Entered a name "Office Printer". and NExt
13. Selected Yes to print a test page and Next.
14. Page would not print and I could not connect to the internet without changing TCP/IP properties back to, "Obtain
an IP address automatically."

I almost get there but never make it across the finish line.
don
I did get the IP address of the print server when I reset it to the default setting of 192.168.0.10 using the "PS Admn" program from D-Link. Then I followed the steps in my last reply to you (The same steps in the D-Link Quick Installation Guide.)and it won't print and the Internet connection is lost. I must be doing something wrong but I sure don't know what it is.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI