Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91701 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

So Slow

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hi Paws

Thats interesting what you said about the BT case unlimited should mean unlimited.

I take it that you have also checked your settings in Internet Options and that they are all in accordance with Tiscali instructions?
If you need any help on this post back, but note that your settings should have Tiscali broadband as your default and there should be a dot in the radio box for "always dial my default connection".....the phone number should be (0,38 that is to say Zero comma 38)
automatically detect settings should be unticked and you should not normally have a proxy server ticked .

Connect using:

ISDN chanel removed Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP

Do I access my Internet Options through Internet Explorer using the Tools Menu?

the phone number should be (0,38 that is to say Zero comma 38)
automatically detect settings should be unticked and you should not normally have a proxy server ticked .

where do I find this number?

This is what my setup looks like currently.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Connect using:
ISDN chanel removed Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP

I don't understand what this is.
If you could help

cheers

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hi Manicd, We need to take this one step at a time. 1 In your screen dumps you seem to have settings for a LAN (this is incorrect) so first remove the tick from the boxes in 2 and 3 below. 2 Use a proxy server for your LAN 3 Bypass proxy server for local..... (its OK if this one just greys out) Click on OK Now referring back to your previous screen dump..... Click on 5 Settings All the boxes should be left unticked, you just need to enter your user name and password in the appropriate boxes Please don't forget that your user name should be in the format username@tiscali.co.uk (Tiscali is one of the few ISP's that demands the full name in the above format.......other ISP's only require the letters and characters before the @ so remember to put in the full thing) 6 Now click on Properties and enter the other settings that I gave you and then OK your way out. 7 You should download the tiscali instructions from their website as this will give you a complete step by step guide complete with Screen dumps so that you can check your configuration is accurate and complete. However I am happy to check these for you if you continue sending me the screen dumps. :D Let me know how you go Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#18 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hi Manicd, Its best to change your settings from: 1 Start 2 Control Panel 3 Internet Options 4 Connections Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#19 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Hi Paws

Just a couple more queries about my connection and more screen dumps :blush:

You mentioned that I should enter 0, 38 in the phone/dial box as shown in img1

b]the phone number should be (0,38 that is to say Zero comma 38)[/b]

Why is this I haven't previously entered a number in the box below just had the number zero.

1.)Posted Image

Also occasionally I get another dial up screen as shown below even though I have connected to the net via dial up window as shown above.

2.)Posted Image

Regards

#20 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:29 AM

Hi manicd, You are doing well,

You ask about the number 0,38 and ask:

"Why is this I haven't previously entered a number in the box below just had the number zero.

and my best answer is, because that's the number Tiscali asks you to use!!! :lol:
Actually just inserting a Zero often works just fine, but as you are having problems with the connection then I think maybe its best to follow Tiscali's directions.
If you go here:
http://uk-tiscali.cu...amp;p_topview=1

you will get a complete step by step guide to how to set it up, but I guess you have printed this out already?
I see also that you are restricting the use of this connection to yourself only (see your screen dump.....you may have strong reasons for doing this but a lot of folks are happy to have the dot in the radio button that says :

"Anyone who uses this computer"

It might be sensible to retype your user name and password again when you make the alterations. Use the "Dial" command box and see how you go.
Your second screen dump is just fine.
Send any more screen dumps you want checking and we will be happy to oblige, although I will be away for a few days from this afternoon (anything up to a week)
I will ask another Tech based in the UK to keep an eye on the thread for you whilst I'm away

Regards
paws

#21 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for everything Paws and Doug

Cheers

#22 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hi I'm still having continual Browser/Internet problems, but now with I.E7 instead of Firefox. I'm really at a lost to figure out why I'm having all these problems especially with the help I have received. :( :( :(

Edited by manicd, 04 October 2007 - 05:51 PM.

#23 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hi Manicd, Will you please repeat the instructions I gave you in my first reply (the sequence related to IPCONFIG) Keep us posted with your progress. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#24 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi

Done what you recommended above but I'm still having connection problems and now freezing in I.E.
So I thought it might be an idea to reinstall/repair I.E using dial-a-fix.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I then get a number of copy Error messages for the following files

Posted Image

iedw.ex_.
HMMAPI.DL_.
html32.cn_.
msconv97.dl_.
DHTMLED.OC_.
TRIEDIT.DL_.
mswrd632.wp_.
mswrd832.cn_.
write32.wp_.
INSTALL.IN_.
IEINFO5.OC_.
IEFILES5.IN_.

I then continue the process without copying these files and get this message.

Posted Image

Is there anything to worry about if these files are missing and if there affecting I.E or my connection to the Internet

Cheers :(

#25 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

Hi manicd, In an earlier post you mentioned that you were not 100% sure on how to configure your firewall (Comodo) It might be wise therefore to uninstall Comodo for the time being and replace it with the Zone Alarm Free version that I had you download back in post 13. This will automatically scan your machine (Immediately after you install it) and set itself up to allow access to your Internet Explorer and email. Once you have done that then at least we can eliminate firewall problems as being part of the problem and you can continue with a repair/reinstall of IE6 (Don't try to update to IE7 at this stage as will probably only make matters worse....we need to get your IE 6 working correctly as a priority Regards paws

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi Paws Sorry the problems seem to be never ending. I have already got I.E7 installed as an update, I was trying to fix that. As for the Firewall issues I think I have tried to install Zone Alarm before but it conflicted with my Anti-Viruses Real time monitor? What would you suggest?? Cheers Paws :unsure:

#27 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hi manicd,
This is beginning to sound like bad news.....there is no known conflict between Zone Alarm and your anti virus, its still too early to consider a reinstall of your operating system, but I would recommend that you ensure that your back up/archive/copy of all important stuff on your machine, files, settings, drivers, data and everything is 100% up to date, accurate, and reproducible, so that you are prepared in case this should be necessary in the future.

At the same time you should gather up all your application installation discs and product keys, including those for Windows XP as well, use a good tool like Belarc Adviser to print out system details as this will be useful as well. Look on the outside of the computers case and make a note of the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity....keep the number safe!
Belarc available from here:
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

I am not familiar with Comodo firewall so cannot give you advice on how to allow access for Internet Explorer both incoming and outgoing but you will need to do this, If you cannot achieve this for IE and also for your email client then you should take advice from Comodo , or uninstall it and just use the Windows firewall as a temporary measure. It is important to rule out firewall interference as a source of potential trouble.
Next
Uninstall Internet Explorer7 this should revert to IE6 see how you go and post back.
Regards
paws
ps dont forget to reboot before and after your uninstall

#28 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

This is beginning to sound like bad news.....

Why.....I'm worried now.

there is no known conflict between Zone Alarm and your anti virus

Well I'm not saying that you are lying or giving me bad info but Zone Alarm says on installation that it isnt compatible with my CA etrust Antivirus, granted this was some time ago might it now be compatible???????????

I would recommend that you ensure that your back up/archive/copy of all important stuff on your machine, files, settings, drivers, data and everything is 100% up to date, accurate, and reproducible

How do I do this do I save the entire D:\ Drive to CD????

At the same time you should gather up all your application installation discs and product keys, including those for Windows XP

I only have a factory restore Disc would this contain the XP operating system ect???????

Yours confused
ManicD

P.S I'm pretty sure its the firewall causing the connection problems as I'm unsure how to configure it properly would any one be able to help me with this if I started a new thread.
P.P.S Is there anything to worry about with those corrupted\broken files?

Edited by manicd, 05 October 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#29 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi manicd, As you have a manufacturers restore disc then this would bring your system back to the state it was in as it left the factory. Anything added since then, like data, programmes, drivers for peripherals etc would be lost. This is why I recommend you check that your back up/archive copy is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible. It is surprising how many folks don't even have a strategy to keep their passwords safe let alone their data and other important stuff. Copying the important stuff to DVD or an external USB drive often works well, but of course cannot copy your operating system....see para below for how we copy (image) everything including the operating system ... When your machine is running sweetly, with everything correct, fast and running smoothly with no conflicts and free from undesirable elements and in everyway in "top notch order", then that is the time to copy everything on your C (boot) drive and for this we use disc imaging software such as Ghost, Paragon, Drive Image, Acronis or similar, and I usually recommend that standard compression be used with the disc imaged to an external USB drive. In the event of serious trouble that cannot be resolved by the usual means it is possible to get your machine up and running exactly as it was at the time the image was taken and in a very short time (on my machine that I'm using at the moment just under 40 minutes from start to finish, and once I have started the process it will continue automatically without me having to do anything or even be present) However your machine is I think a long, long way from being in a suitable state for creating this image so first we have to get it working correctly.... Try the built in Windows firewall (uninstall Comodo) and the uninstall of IE7 as set out in my previous post if you are unable to find out how to configure Comodo to allow IE and your email client to have internet access. Post back and let us know how you go Regards paws