Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

So Slow

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi

I'm having problems with my Firefox browser,
pages are either loading up very slowly (15-20 seconds) or not at all with the following message

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at collect.......................

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Ive tried looking up this problem by using searches in Google but to no avail please help

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

How's IE running?
Various updaters running OK? (like your daily antivirus update, for instance)

Firefox permitted through your Firewall?

What does your Internet Connection Status look like?
Start - Settings/Control Panel - Internet connection

You can freshen up your computer's settings, as I think you have before:

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webatta...insockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/h...net/winfix.shtm

You can freshen up your modem and router settings by powering both of them down for about 10 minutes.
When starting them back up...
power up the Router
Then power up the Modem
Then reboot your computer.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hi Doug

How's IE running?
Various updaters running OK? (like your daily antivirus update, for instance)

Internet Explorer is running fine with no connection difficulties / hanging or timing out ect
Ive had to update my anti-virus manually of late, it use to do it automatically. :scratch:

Firefox permitted through your Firewall?

I think this is where the problem lies as I am unsure how to configure my firewall ( Comodo Firewall-Pro ) properly. :blush:
I recently uninstaled then reinstalled Firefox hoping that would sort the problem out some how.
After the installation the firewall asks me what can be accepted or denied as a parent application for Firefox to access the internet with.
I accepted all of them and I was left with multiple parent applications for Firefox including Firefox itself.

e.g APPLICATION: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ FireFox
PARENT APPLICATION: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ FireFox

So I got rid of a few other ones by not specifying a parent and now I have it set up with one parent application as illustrated below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now Ive done it like this it seems to be loading up pages quicker and not timing out

My main concern is that my Firewall isn't setup up properly to protect me, especially the stuff under the general tab of which I have no knowledge of whatsoever a TCP or a UDP????

You can freshen up your modem and router settings by powering both of them down for about 10 minutes.
power up the Router
Then power up the Modem

How do I do this?

Regards

Edited by manicd, 19 September 2007 - 04:11 PM.

#4 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Now Ive done it like this it seems to be loading up pages quicker and not timing out

Strike that its not. Its seems to time out when multiple tabs are open or already open and then loading a new page, very frustrating.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

power up the Router
Then power up the Modem

How do I do this?

Hi manicd,

Very good work on your part! :thumbup:

Powering down and powering up the Modem and the Router is simply referring to turning off (or disconnecting power cord) and turning on, (or plugging power cord back in)

Most DSL modems these days have an ON/OFF Switch (often a push-button) on the back of the unit.
Many/most Routers still rely on having the power-cord removed or plugged back in to turn it off or on.
_________

Since you apparently have already resolved your main problem, you do not have to do the Power Down / Power Up cycling as recommended earlier.
*** "If it ain't broke, don't be fixin' on it." <-- good advice

Note on Routers and Modems.
They mostly just sit there.
We're glad that their lights are all shining brightly, but we don't much think about their function beyond that.
We hardly ever "input" any instructions to them, except when installing or upgrading firmware.
So we really don't think of them as "processesing" much information, the way we think of our computer's CPU/RAM/Hard Drive working actively and interfacing with our keyboard commands.

----- But it just isn't so! Both Modem and Router are constantly "processing" information, accepting/rejecting/routing large information flows between our machines and destinations over the internet.
----- Still, we have a "Set it, and Forget it" attitude about Modem and Routers.

We are much more "understanding" when some Application Program "hangs" during operation.
Average-Experienced users know to try a Re-Boot. If that fails, try a repair through the Application's Options. And if that fails we tend to know the best bet is to Uninstall and Reinstall the Application.

So why don't we think that Modems and Routers might sometimes need the same?
Well, we don't do much Graphical Interface (entering commands and responding to prompts) with the Modem and Router.

I've left my Modem and Router "Always on" for months at a time, never giving them a second thought.
Generally leaving them "always on" is just fine, as long as they have good passive air circulation for cooling.
But every now and then (say once monthly) it is good practice to "Power Cycle" both your Modem and Router.
Power Cycling, as described in the steps above (simply turning them off for 10-20 minutes) will allow them to return to their factory or firmware defaults, clearing out any debris or corrupted settings that may have accumulated.
Note: ON/OFF - ON/OFF - ON/OFF at frequent intervals is not good practice for any electronic components, as capacitors have to charge up, and other components shift from cold to extremely hot, causing heat/cold stress. So once a month is about enough, unless you are having a specific problem with the units.

As to your Comodo Firewall Settings, please start a new topic in This Same Forum "Browsers, Internet, Email" and include the name Comodo Firewall Settings in your Topic Title.

I can go a short ways with you on the settings and such, but have never used Comodo.
Others here have used Comodo and may be of greater help.

Best Regards

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

Oh, Oh. You must have posted while I was typing and not watching. I'm off to a series of meetings right now, but will check back in this evening. Any additional information you might be able to supply will be helpful. Best Regards

#7 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

OK thanks Doug. Cheers for the response.

#8 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

My browser is still timming out.
Its seems to time out when multiple tabs are open or already open and then loading a new page, very frustrating.
Shall I remove and reinstall the Internet software I got with the modem and see if that helps

Most DSL modems these days have an ON/OFF Switch (often a push-button) on the back of the unit.
Many/most Routers still rely on having the power-cord removed or plugged back in to turn it off or on.

Mine doesn't it just has a USB & Telephone wire plugged into it no on/off switch??????????????

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

hmmmm. Just a USB plug and telephone cord. I had forgotten that you were in the UK. I am not familiar with the Modem or Router that you describe. I'll ask Paws or Keith to look in on this thread. ________ However, the following can, I think, be safely said: You won't hurt yourself by uninstalling and reinstalling the software for the Modem. But it is probably not necessary at this time to do so. ...Because, as you have stated, your are able to connect with the Internet, browse, and arrive correctly at the intended site. Correct me if I am wrong on that, please. The "problem" occurs when you have multiple instances of IE or Firefox open. The first few windows of IE or Firefox function correctly, but at a certain number of open windows of IE or Firefox, the next window of IE or Firefox fails to connect, leaving you with a Timed Out error. Correct me if I am understanding that wrongly. ________ If the above is true.... How many browser windows are you able to have open before failure? Do all browser windows fail at that time, or just the new additional one? I wonder if there is a limit on the number of browser windows you can have open with this Modem/ISP? I wonder if there is a power supply issue going on, since the Modem apparently only draws power from the USB connection? Neither of my last two "wonderings" is likely to be correct, because you have probably had good function with multiple windows of IE or Firefox open before, and you are submitting this problem at this time because the function has decreased or failed recently as compared to prior ability to open multiple windows of IE or Firefox. Is that true? Who is your ISP? Tiscali? Tiscali £24.99 - 1Mb connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection Tiscali £15.99 - 1Mb connction - 2GB bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection Tiscali £19.99 - 512K connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection Tiscali £15.99 - 256K connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free connection This seems to answer the "limit" question above as all but one type of subscription offers "unlimited", and the one limited one should be sufficient to accomodate quite a few windows of IE or Firefox. then again, you may be using another ISP, so the question still needs to be answered. I'll wait for clarification of the above questions, and then also hope for some guidance from Paws or Keith. Best Regards

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hi manicd,

Doug has asked me to drop by here.
1 Can you confirm please that your ISP is still Tiscali
2 Tiscali normally supply a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem that has a normal telephone wire and a USB cable to your machine. Can you confirm the make and model number please. Note sometimes Tiscali issued Sagem modems, but no matter, just confirm the make and model number.
3 If you have either of the above modems you will not normally be using a router so please list (with the make and model number) all things that are plugged in your machine and we can take it from there.
4 Finally can you say if the problem occurs with firefox only or does it also occur when you are using Internet Explorer. If you are not using IE 7 please advise the version you are using.
5 Finally although Tiscali does not normally supply a capped service, it is subject to a "fair use" clause so please advise if it your custom to download large amounts of data, especially videos and music and if you use "peer to peer" (P2P) file sharing.

Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 20 September 2007 - 07:42 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

Hi Doug

The "problem" occurs when you have multiple instances of IE or Firefox open.
The first few windows of IE or Firefox function correctly, but at a certain number of open windows of IE or Firefox, the next window of IE or Firefox fails to connect, leaving you with a Timed Out error.
Correct me if I am understanding that wrongly

I don't use I.E that I often prefer to use Firefox but now I'm not so sure. I tested I.E by opening multiple tabs at the time Firefox was not working (getting the timed out messages) it seem to handle it fine .
Its just firefox that intermittently goes wrong and this is not just confined to opening multiple tabs it some times happens with just the one.

How many browser windows are you able to have open before failure?
Do all browser windows fail at that time, or just the new additional one?

Its quite sporadic, sometimes its just the one window that wont load and at other times it will be when using multiple tabs.

Who is your ISP? Tiscali?
Tiscali £24.99 - 1Mb connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection
Tiscali £15.99 - 1Mb connction - 2GB bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection
Tiscali £19.99 - 512K connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free modem and free connection
Tiscali £15.99 - 256K connction - Unlimited bandwidth with free modem and free connection

Posted Image
Posted Image

You have probably had good function with multiple windows of IE or Firefox open before, and you are submitting this problem at this time because the function has decreased or failed recently as compared to prior ability to open multiple windows of IE or Firefox.
Is that true?

Thats spot on and that is why I thought it were abit strange

Fire fox has an add on thing which you are probably fully aware of which allows you to change the look of the browser. I have the "mac OS add-on theme" could this have anything to do with it?

Regards

To Paws

2 Tiscali normally supply a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem that has a normal telephone wire and a USB cable to your machine. Can you confirm the make and model number please. Note sometimes Tiscal issued Sagem modems, but no matter, just confirm the make and model number.

Yes it is a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem model no: where would I find this there are two no:'s on the underside of the modem

is it this one: DSLBB607SL

Edited by manicd, 20 September 2007 - 07:43 AM.

#12 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

I just have to pop out will be back in an hour, thanks for your help Paws Regards

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hi again Manicd. I have seen your latest post....(we both must have been typing at the same time!) just confirm please the answers to the unanswered bits of the questions in my post and I will do my best to help. In the meantime please visit the Zone Alarm website and downlown the free version (basic) of Zone Alarm. Check that its the basic free version you are downloading and not the trial! (that is also described as free!) Don't install this, just save it to your desktop pro tem. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#14 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hi Paws

1 Can you confirm please that your ISP is still Tiscali

Yes it is still with Tiscali

2 Tiscali normally supply a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem that has a normal telephone wire and a USB cable to your machine. Can you confirm the make and model number please.

Yes it is a Speedtouch 330

3 If you have either of the above modems you will not normally be using a router so please list (with the make and model number) all things that are plugged in your machine and we can take it from there.

Just the Modem and the Mouse. Its funny you should mention that because I have had problems installing USB related hardware such as mouses, memory sticks ect I think its has something to with the computers drivers being mucked up when I used a factory restore disc.

4 Finally can you say if the problem occurs with firefox only or does it also occur when you are using Internet Explorer. If you are not using IE 7 please advise the version you are using.

Its seems to be doing it only with Firefox but I cannot be a 100% sure as I seldom use Internet Explorer

5 Finally although Tiscali does not normally supply a capped service, it is subject to a "fair use" clause so please advise if it your custom to download large amounts of data, especially videos and music and if you use "peer to peer" (P2P) file sharing.

I was not aware of any clause that restricted my download capacity but I have been downloading/uploading large music files of late. I don't use P2P sharing anymore I got rid of Limewire quite some time ago.

Regards

P.s Am I using the quoting function to much HeHe

#15 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:47 AM

Hi manicd, The fair use clause might be the answer ..............if you are downloading and or uploading a large amount of stuff. You could check with Tiscali and ask their help desk if you have used too much bandwidth but the trouble is Tiscali (along with some other ISP's) are reluctant to go into details as to what levels they think are "normal usage" This is sometimes because they don't want folks downloading continually just below the "threshold" Some folks felt very strongly that an uncapped or unlimited service should be exactly what is says, unlimited, and that the "fair usage" clause was in itself ,unfair. There has been some recent case law on this; a subscriber to BT broadband fell foul of the fair usage clause (his broadband keep dropping out) and after complaining to BT (which of course got the standard response!) decided to issue proceedings against BT for I believe either breach of contract or misrepresentation ( sorry but I am a bit hazy on the details now) in an attempt to have the fair usage clause overturned. The case went through the courts and in the end the fair usage clause was upheld so the subscriber in effect lost. (and it cost him a lot of money!) To be on the safe side it would be wise to slow down a bit on the large data up/downloads and see how you go....this may take a bit of time as they generally measure the bandwidth over the month so don't expect immediate results. I take it that you have also checked your settings in Internet Options and that they are all in accordance with Tiscali instructions? If you need any help on this post back, but note that your settings should have Tiscali broadband as your default and there should be a dot in the radio box for "always dial my default connection".....the phone number should be (0,38 that is to say Zero comma 38) automatically detect settings should be unticked and you should not normally have a proxy server ticked . Connect using: ISDN chanel removed Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP Finally try not to use firefox for the duration of the test ....say next two months............ use IE7 with all the normal protections, a lower rate of up/download and see how you go. Let us know how you get on. Regards paws