This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Xp Pc

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've "inherited" a bunch of PCs from a previous IT manager, one of which is for a user who is no longer employed here. I'm trying to get it straightened out and updated with all the various service packs and Windows Updates that it needs, however, I cannot get it to accept any service packs. Following the suggestions I found on winhlp.com, I bumped the verboseness of the Service Pack log function and also renamed the svcpack.log so I'd have a fresh log file to check. Below is the result of the latest attempt to get SP2 installed. [svcpack.log] 3.969: ================================================================================ 3.969: 2007/09/13 11:14:24.014 (local) 3.969: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\update.exe (version 5.5.1005.0) 3.969: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE 3.984: Service Pack started with following command line: -z /DefaultUninstallNoPrompt /AcceptEulaNoPrompt /DefaultFinishNoPrompt /ParentInfo:03f81253770553469d7a5be469fce436 4.078: Return Value From OnACPower = 1 4.078: OnACPower returned value( 0x1 ) which is Equal To 0x1 4.078: Condition succeeded for section OnACPower.Section in Line 1 of PreRequisite 4.078: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\WindowsFeatures is not Present 4.078: First Condition in A6Block.Section Succeeded 4.078: Condition succeeded for section A6Block.Section in Line 2 of PreRequisite 10.375: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2 10.391: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IP 10.391: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done. 10.484: IncludeDirectoryIdFromInfSection: No DirId found for: DontRemoveOnUninst.DirId 21.016: Conditional load of section MSN.Block.Condition succeeded 21.016: CheckRegistryValue: RegOpenKeyEx for SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{FDC11A6F-17D1-48f9-9EA3-9051954BAA24} KeyName failed :0x2 21.031: Conditional load of section WindowsMessenger.Condition succeeded 23.406: ref tag c:\windows\driver cache\i386\sp1.cab does not exist 23.406: ref tag c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\sp1.cab does not exist 23.406: ref tag c:\windows\driver cache\i386\sp2.cab does not exist 23.406: ref tag c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\sp2.cab does not exist 23.437: Starting AnalyzeComponents 23.437: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks 23.437: No C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\update\updtblk.inf file. 25.875: Failed to query DriverPath of PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_10008086&REV_00\4&29817089&0&20F0 0x2 26.391: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_82\3&267A616A&0&F0 26.578: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F8 26.875: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C2&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&E8 27.062: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FB 27.250: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C4&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&E9 27.266: Failed to query DriverPath of PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01048086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FD 0x2 27.437: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C7&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EA 27.734: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F9 27.750: Failed to query DriverPath of PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_52478086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EF 0x2 27.953: Third Party Provider = Intel for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2560&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&267A616A&0&00 28.750: SetupVerifyInfFile failed with error 0x490 for oem0.inf of device ROOT\*ISMB0C01�00 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AFD�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVG7CORE�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVG7RSW�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVG7RSXP�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVGASCLN�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVGCLEAN�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVGTDI�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_AVG_ANTI-SPYWARE_DRIVER�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_BEEP�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_CATCHME�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_CPUZ126�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_DMBOOT�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_DMLOAD�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_FIPS�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_GPC�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_IPNAT�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_IPSEC�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_KSECDD�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_MNMDD�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_MOUNTMGR�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NDIS�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NDISTAPI�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NDISUIO�00 0x2 29.031: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NDPROXY�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NETBT�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_NULL�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_PARTMGR�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_PARVDM�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_PCIDATA�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_RASACD�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_RDPCDD�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_RDPWD�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_TCPIP�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_TDTCP�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_VGASAVE�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_VOLSNAP�00 0x2 29.047: Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY_WANARP�00 0x2 30.203: OEM file scan used 6766 ticks 53.344: DoInstallation:SetupOpenInfFile for OldUninstallInf file C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.inf not found: 0x3 53.344: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ 63.516: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 40079 ticks 63.516: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping. 63.516: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled. 63.516: FindFirstFile c:\windows\$hf_mig$\*.* 64.344: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 625 ticks 64.344: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks 64.344: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 0 ticks 64.344: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks 64.344: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks 64.344: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks 64.906: Trying CheckVLKForBlock again 65.312: Error: CheckVLKForBlock failed 65.312: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=536741199, 54828 ticks 65.312: Num Ticks for invent : 54828 65.922: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2 65.922: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery. 65.953: An internal error occurred. 67.406: Message displayed to the user: An internal error occurred. 67.406: User Input: OK 67.406: Service Pack 2 installation did not complete. 68.187: Message displayed to the user: Service Pack 2 installation did not complete. 68.187: User Input: OK 68.187: Update.exe extended error code = 0x1ffe054f I did apparently have some sort of spyware, because AVG AntiSpyware said it found "adware.generic" but I disabled the System Restore temporarily and checked again and there was no spyware found. I have since re-enabled SR prior to trying to install SP2. Am I going to have to do a "repair" install on this machine??? I'm wondering if I can use a Generic Windows XP SP2 CD to do an "upgrade" using the same reg code that's currently in use on this system?
I've just cleaned off some spyware following instructions from Nasdaq over on SpywareInfo. I have a fresh HJT log file in case that will help someone here with my Service Pack install problem –

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:42:39 PM, on 9/13/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\cwbckver.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\hjt\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Client Access Service] "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\cwbsvstr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Client Access Help Update] "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\cwbinhlp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Client Access Check Version] "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\cwbckver.exe" LOGIN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Client Access Express Welcome] "C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access\cwbwlwiz.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=48835
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd…b?1189082139825
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1189082202356
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\TempEI4\EI40_\msxml4.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3DE5A042-1C1E-4AD4-8384-B70AA68314DD}: NameServer = 66.44.210.2,66.44.210.3
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Client Access Express Remote Command (Cwbrxd) - IBM Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\CWBRXD.EXE

–
End of file - 4325 bytes
It appears that the machine is running XP without "any" service packs.

XP SP2 will not install on a machine unless it already has SP1a.

You can download SP1a, here:
http://www.download.com/Windows-XP-Service…8-10147919.html

Microsoft no longer supplies SP1a (to the best of my knowledge) and no longer supports machines that don't have it.
So you have to go to a third-party download source like Download.com linked above.

Once you have SP1a installed, you should be able to run your SP2 CD and then go get the Critical Updates and Patches from the MS Updates site.

Best Regards

It appears that the machine is running XP without "any" service packs.

XP SP2 will not install on a machine unless it already has SP1a.

You can download SP1a, here:
http://www.download.com/Windows-XP-Service…8-10147919.html

Microsoft no longer supplies SP1a (to the best of my knowledge) and no longer supports machines that don't have it.
So you have to go to a third-party download source like Download.com linked above.

Once you have SP1a installed, you should be able to run your SP2 CD and then go get the Critical Updates and Patches from the MS Updates site.

Best Regards


Thanks, Doug. When I declined SP2 (because it wouldn't install) from Microsoft Update, it offered to install SP1, but it wouldn't install either. I'll give SP1a a shot and see what happens. Someone on the Microsoft newsgroup suggested installing it in "safe mode" and I'll give that a shot as well.
Doug (and anyone else): I tried installing SP2 in safe mode as suggested on the Windows newsgroup, no luck. So I downloaded and attempted to install SP1a, also without any success. It got as far as archiving files and then popped up an error message, something to the effect of "setup failed" with no more information. Also, the "svcpack.log" file didn't show anything either. It was much less verbose than when I tried to install SP2. Any other suggestions? Can I just perform an "upgrade" using the existing reg code?

Can I just perform an "upgrade" using the existing reg code?


Not sure what you mean by "reg code" – Are you referring the the 25 character Product Identification Code?
________

I recently had a similar situation, where a fellow had purchased surplus computers from the county auction.
They were listed as "operational" with Windows 2000 installed.

Turned out that it was Windows 2000 SP1 (latest version in windows 2000 is SP4 plus critical updates.
Windows 2000 SP1 no longer supports direct updating.
Additionally, these machine appeared to have been installed by deployment over network.
Therefore the "license type" was not compatible with updates.

Happily I was able to obtain legal copies of Windows 2000 SP4 at a reasonable price, but had to format/reinstall to get the machines to operational and updated status.
_______

You may be facing a similar situation with your XP machine(s)
_____-

I will be consulting a more knowledgeable person to try to get your answer.
Hopefully will be back to you this evening. (it's 6:17pm for me right now)

Any additional information you may have about the Installation Media that you are attempting to use for the install would be helpful.
I know you downloaded SP1. I know that SP2 installation functions properly on any XP Sp1a machine.
What "Product Identification Type" do you have?
DO NOT post the Product Identification 25 character string. Keep that private to yourself.
However, if you know what type of License it is please post the "type".
For instance: Retail, OEM, multiple, educational, etc.

Best Regards
Hi John A,

Here's the beginning of the reply received from a knowledgable Tech Team Teacher who will be looking in on your progress.

There are still MS downloads for SP1a and SP2. I'll give you the links to both below. I would try installing these just the way the machine is now. If they won't install, we may have to rename the update folder and force the creation of an unpopulated folder. Have them try 1a first…if no joy, try SP2. I've had it install perfectly without 1a installed even though they say it won't. Seems like the ones that have problems are the XP premarket releases to OEM. I don't know about corporate or edu editions.

SP1a
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;DisplayLang=en

SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

I'll subscribe to the topic so I can watch and, perhaps, offer suggestions should you need them.


John A,

You might already have downloaded from those sites and attempted the steps as described.
Please update us on what you have already tried, so we can research on the possible next steps.

Doug

Hi John A,

Here's the beginning of the reply received from a knowledgable Tech Team Teacher who will be looking in on your progress.

There are still MS downloads for SP1a and SP2. I'll give you the links to both below. I would try installing these just the way the machine is now. If they won't install, we may have to rename the update folder and force the creation of an unpopulated folder. Have them try 1a first…if no joy, try SP2. I've had it install perfectly without 1a installed even though they say it won't. Seems like the ones that have problems are the XP premarket releases to OEM. I don't know about corporate or edu editions.

SP1a
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;DisplayLang=en

SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

I'll subscribe to the topic so I can watch and, perhaps, offer suggestions should you need them.


John A,

You might already have downloaded from those sites and attempted the steps as described.
Please update us on what you have already tried, so we can research on the possible next steps.

Doug


Doug:
I've already tried the following:
1) Service Pack 1a
2) Service Pack 2
3) Both versions in Safe Mode
4) ScanDisk / Defrag
5) Malware removal (there was some, and I did get it.)

A fellow geek on a local mailing list suggested updating the Microsoft installer. I'm going to give that a shot. I'm not sure what type of license, whether it's OEM or retail, as I inherited it. The PC was purchased from a local computer store, so it could be either.

I have a "bulk" license CD with SP2 on it already, which is what I"d be using to perform the "upgrade" install if nothing else. I don't want to wipe and reinstall as the machine has Microsoft Office and I don't have the media or license key for that.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI