This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Vundo? Popups? Other?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

New and confused here. I think I may have multiple spyware/virus infections. I have already tried Spybot, AVG antivirus (in safe mode), combofix, etc. but think I am probably getting the order of operations wrong. Usually I fix these things without help but cannot seem to get on top of it this time.

Here is the HJT log. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian



Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:04:17 PM, on 9/9/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - S&D\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\WiFi\WLService.exe
C:\Program Files\WiFi\WLanCfgAG.exe
C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - S&D\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" –force_start_minimized
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.imagesrvr.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.amaena.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.drivecleaner.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.errorprotector.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.errorsafe.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.imageservr.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.imagesrvr.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.systemdoctor.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.winantispyware.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.winantivirus.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.winfixer.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/…ro.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/popcaploader_v10.cab
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG\guard.exe
O23 - Service: 125Mbps PCI_CARDBUS adapter (Zonet Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\WiFi\WLService.exe

–
End of file - 2598 bytes
Hi,

I notice that you do not seem to be running Antivirus software and a Firewall. This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.
That's why I want you to install them first!!
FYI, you do have AVG Antispyware installed. This is no Antivirus.

Avira, AVG OR Avast are good FREE antivirus.
Never install more than one antivirusscanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously!
Comodo OR Kerio are FREE firewalls.

Understanding and using firewalls

Reboot your computer afterwards.
After reboot, perform a full scan with your Antivirus and let it remove anything it is finding. Then reboot once again in order to delete files that were in use previously.

Post a new HijackThislog in your next reply - then we'll start from there, because it really makes no sense otherwise that we clean this up manually if an Antivirusscan is not present which should be able to deal with most and prevent further reinfection.
Shoot. Color me stupid…or ignorant, which I guess was the same thing here. I installed the right AVG and it found a few trojans. Popups seem to have gone away so I will quit wasting your time for now. Thanks for the help. Brian
Hi, So I assume you don't need help anymore? Because I know AVG doesn't delete all and leftovers may still be present - responsible for a reinfection.
Since there is no feedback anymore, I assume this issue is resolved … so, this Topic is closed. If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI