Hello everyone,
I am trying to determine wether or not my nephews laptop is infected or not. He says that it was working fine until it started slowing down and then he could not connect to the internet. The laptop is a gateway that is running XP Home. I am communicating to you from my desktop now until I can connect with the laptop to do other diagnosis to it. I have tried connecting wireless and through ethernet cable directly with no avail. When trying to connect wireless it detects my personal network but will not connect and when using ethernet cable directly it states "This connection has limited or no connectivity". I even called my router manufacturer for support and they told me that the laptop seems it does not have TCP/IP address……..Please Help.
Thank You in Advance!
Open a Command line – Start - Run - (type)cmd - Enter
This will open a DOS box
At the blinking cursor type the following, in order as listed, and waiting for each operation to complete (a few seconds each) until the blinking cursor returns.
ipconfig /release - enter <–notice the required space in front of the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <–notice the required space in front of the "/"
Ipconfig /flushdns - enter <–notice the required space in front of the "/"
If you are still unable to get internet access, then run WinsockXPfix.exe
Update and Run your Antivirus (which I presume the Laptop has, but if not install the free AVG AntiVirus)
If malware (virus and/or spyware/trojans) were found, post the lists of what was found/fixed.
You may need to do additional work over in the Malware Removal Forum, but the above will be a very good start, and maybe just enough.
____________
If only tracking Cookies were detected and removed, then we'll have a look at the System Files and the machines overall performance.
Please go to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Run the Full Tests
Post your TechExpress link back into this thread for review.
ipconfig /release - after hitting enter it says - No operation can be performed on wireless network connection while it has its media diconnected. ipconfig /renew - after hitting enter it says - No operation can be performed on wireless network connection while it has its media diconnected. Ipconfig /flushdns - after hitting enter it says - Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
I still can not connect.
I downloaded the WinSock XP Fix to my junk drive and loaded it to the laptop then rebooted. A window popped up after reboot that states Malicious Software Removal Tool & in the box it reads "An error has occurred. Please visit the Malicious Software Removal Tool Help Page for more details.
go to Control - Panel - Network Connections
Double-click on your wireless connection item
Select - Enable
Next:
Go back and run the series of ipconfig commands I posted earlier.
Best Regards
Hi JoeCastle,
Good work getting your Router set up and your machine connected to the Internet.
And Good work (so far) in identifying the malware infections that have found their way into your machine.
Zlob.bni
SpywareStrike
SmitFraud-C.
Win32.Renos
Zlob.VideoAccessActiveXObject
Zlob.VideoActiveXObject
Your Steps of Running Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Antispyware, are "part" of the solution, but not sufficient to eradicate these Trojans.
You will need to get Expert guidance in using some advanced tools over in the Malware Removal Forum to assure that all the bad-guys have been removed.
Run HJT and Post your Log right away.
Also beware that some of these infections have the risk of compromising your personal and financial information.
You should not be using this infected machine to conduct business, until it is absolutely free of infection!
Best Regards
I finally have this machine clean. Thanks to ken545. http://forums.whatthetech.com/Help_Antiver…lden_t82606.htm
I would like if you can take a look at the machine's performance.
Would it be a problem to install Microsoft Office Pro 2003 on this OS that is a Home edition? The nephew can use for School.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com Register and create a password Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE. Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.
The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information.
I can make a better recommendation after reviewing those results.
You'll probably be pleased to get the Full Tests Results for your use as well.
Just happens that I have a similar machine here on my repair bench.
TechExpress link for your current results: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=HFMVHWQVPDVS994V
Admittedly Differences re He has faster CPU, you have faster Video Adapter and larger HD, but both 191mb RAM, both XP Home SP2.
His machine was fully crippled with malware, system corruptions, SR failure, and a choked HD.
So I had to completely reformat/Reinstall.
(good example of why it's important to keep OS updated, and run updated Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall.)
So just for comparison, I gave him the full load of MS Office Pro (2000)
It runs just fine on this limited resource machine, but would have a much more brisk response if he added More RAM.
Same should be true for you after you follow all of the Pit Test Tune-up Tips.
Consider getting more RAM. You will be glad you did.
Doug,
Thank You Very Much Again for your help!!!
System is running great and I already installed MS Office Pro 2003 and it also is working great..
Thanks
The Castle
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI