This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Is My Spybot 1.4 Broken

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Approximately 1 month old installation of Spybot 1.4 on XP sp2 laptop machine. Have used Spybot in the past, but only with Windows 2000 sp4 and less. Have always used the update feature included within the program.

Tea-timer is on.

When I update Spybot 1.4 on my XP "limited user" account I do not get any obvious errors, but the only update it finds is a Main skins update from 1/28/05. I have always refused to download the Main skins update so that does not surprise me. However, I happened to go onto the official Spybot website and found a Detection update for 07/25/07 available. I downloaded the executable file from the website and installed the update. Now my Spybot shows that as the "Latest detection update: 2007-07-25", but why did Spybot not find that update when I used update from within the program itself?
I just walked through the Spybot update, using a Limited User Account, and using an Administrative Account. The Limited User Account found only update for Skins The Administrative account found 13 available updates. Ergo: When updating Spybot Search & Destroy, do so from an Administrative Account, or use the download mechanism that you describe in your post. Best Regards
Again. I very much appreciate your help Doug. You actually took the time to replicate what I was saying. I am gratified.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI