Honestly I have no idea what the problem is here. I downloaded and installed Azureus, which is a bittorrent downloader. I setup my firewall in 192.168.0.1 and forwarded all necessary ports that were on websites (6881-6899). I configured the settings in Azureus, and downloaded my bittorrent file. I am getting not even 1kb/s so I think this is something that comes out the rear of a male cow. So, I checked the website that I got the torrent file from and there are something like 7800ish seeders…? Why am I getting slower connection then just downloading it regularly from IE. if this is bit torrent speed, it sucks.
Could get faster downloads on an island in the middle of the atlantic ocean on dial-up.
François
Hi barqers,
I don't think there are any suitable islands in the "middle" of the Atlantic.
Suggest you try one of the islands off Portugal, or maybe off Northern Africa.
Best Regards
azureus is a very popular p2p client. i actually throttle my downloads at 170-180 kbs so it dosnt bog down my browser. there is a tool for checking your connection builtin to azureus:
tools: NAT/firewall test– it will tell you if you are set up correctly.
Lol Nice comments Doug ;), okay sorry I was gone for so long guys I had some trip to attend to (scouting islands in the carribean =])
Okay so I am using Zone Alarm Free firewall, I disabled it, still doesn't work.
I went to 192.168.0.1 and forwarded ports 6881-6899 on both tcp and udp, still didn't do it. The test said my computer timed out after 20 seconds.
I am going to try port forward hopefully that does it otherwise i'm stuck here.
Let's see I also tried changing the ports on Azureus instead of 6889 I tried 6888 and so on, none worked.
Well this is definetly another frustrating problem, I seem to get a new problem every 24 hours.
Your help is appreciated Shelf and Doug thank you,
François
By the way incase you were wondering what my error is this is it,
"Testing port 6889 …
NAT Error - Connect attempt to xx.xxx.xx.xx:6889 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed."
It's weird because I entered that Ip address into my firewall portforwarder and opened those tcp/udp ports,
I x'd out my ip, is there a vunerability if I post it? and if you need the ip let me know.
Okay sorry I've been posting a lot. I tried Port forwarder, but that did not work. I forwarded all the ports manually, still didn't work.
So I tried hooking my ethernet up to just my modem and disabling any security programs, It works. However Both my firewall and my router block me, this is really confusing because I went to 192.168.0.1 in IE and forwarded the port for all ip addresses I have, my router ip, my modem ip, computer ip. Whatever is the problem now? The ip Azureus says in its error I forwarded. Very confused now.
My ISP is Bell, god forbid.
François
Okay so I realize that I have to switch firewalls, which I did.
I still don't know what's wrong with my router, D-Link WBR-2310, I have portforwarded port 50505 on everysingle ip I can think of and every error it gives me I forward that port, yet my firewall still blocks it, what Ip address should I forward?
Also when I do start to download without a router hooked up and zonealarm gone I still only get like 3 peers and 3kb/s, plus I've made my maximum peers for windows xp able to reach 100.
François
iam not familiar with D-link routers. the link to portforward shows how to forward a port for different routers. when changing or using the azureus default port– the port in your router and in azureus, have to be the same. the only port you should forward is to your internal LAN. you should also check d-links web site to make sure you are doing it correctly. i also do not use zone alarm, but there must be some way to put the azureus .exe in the allowed or trusted list?
Okay so I realize that I have to switch firewalls, which I did
Okay I have made sure that they are on the same port it worked when port 50505 was open, when my computer was connected directly to the modem and zone alarm was shutdown. So I forwarded to my internal land I believe? I used command and typed ipconfig /all.
Even when I get it to work, without firewall or router, it downloads at like 5kb/s then stops, would Bell possibly put a hold on p2p downloading? If so there is not much I can do about that is there?
Thanks Shelf,
François
dont know, if its all set up correctly you would get OK! after doing the NAT/firewall test in azureus. you could also do a external probe to the port you have chosen for azureus to listen on. like a site that allows you to do custom port scanning. ISP blocking/throttling? dont see Bell on this list, but dont know how up to date it is. if you cant get it resolved, there are many other torrent clients to try. you might also find more helpful info at this link:
Hm, I get the OK! after I hook up straight to the modem, and disable zone alarm. However I see Rogers on that list. Would Rogers make it really slow download speeds? I'm getting rogers phone, internet, cable, and cellphones tomorrow night so just checking.
Fraçois
sorry for long delay. good, you got the OK. you shoudnt have to disable ZA unless its
The Zone Labs firewall products Zone Alarm 5.0, Zone Alarm Pro 5.0, and Zone Alarm Security Suite 5.0 are not compatible with Azureus due to an issue with their TCP filter, ~TrueVector (vsmon.exe)
you giving "server rights" to azureus in ZA?
Rogers is in that list for throttling torrent traffic, one thing you might try is to change the default port azureus uses.
Okay I changed the default ports and re-forwarded it, got the OK!.
So, I decided to try and download a torrent and I connected to 50 peers and reached a speed 250-300kb/s.
Thanks a lot for your help Shelf
François
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI