Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91627 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help! Java Problems

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Are you now able to run a Pit Test? if so, please do, and post your techexpress
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi Dough, I have been fiddling and trying all day. Everything I can think of. Uninstall/reinstall, rebooted, cleaned caches, run scans, checked and rechecked settings and it's still the same. I think it has to do with IE7. idk? There's nothing under the help button other than the main. Theres no version, no cipher strength, no product ID and the buttons ok and system info... do nothing. They don't work. I opened "search" and nothing is there but the tool bar, the dog, left side blue, right side white. There's nothing there to type a search. I still can't get on Windows update. The screen stays blank. Pitstop won't run the tests and I can't get onto my online accounts. I can upload and download programs. I thought maybe running an ie7 update and see if that helps but idk where to find what I would do top see if ie7 updating would help. For some reason I have Java checked and everything "should" work but Java sites are not recognizing Java Script from either my pc or browser. Something has to be missing from the pc. What should I do now?

#18 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

Can we presume that you are Running your machine from an "Administrative Login Account" meaning that your username has full administrative privilege and is not a limited user account?
_______-

Close all windows and browsers.
goto:
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options - Security - Internet Zone

Scroll through the selected options and assure that the following are set to "enable".
(if you have to make any changes to enable items, then reboot your machine)

Run ActivX Controls & Plugins - Enable
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting - enable
Submit non-encrypted form data - Enable

Scripting
ActiveX Scripting - enable
Scripting of Java applets - enable
___

If you get no benefit from performing the above, consider System File Checker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter <-- notice the required space between "c" and "/"

#19 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Yep, I am admin. I checked what you said to enable. They are enabled BUT I do not see Submit non-encrypted form data - Enable at all. I took screen shots so you could see my whole menu BUT I can't upload to a hosting site for you to see. Bummer :( I'm going to do the scannow...now. :)

#20 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Ok, did the scannow. Still the same. I think it's IE7. I clicked on discuss and it said it was blocking. idk why. I clicked to allow but it still won't. Then when I clicked on discuss again. Nothing was there. :( In the scannow it asked me to use my windows cd. I did. I am not supposed to select any of the cd options? I didn't.

Edited by Starwalker, 19 June 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#21 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

that's correct. When you insert the XP installation CD it will most likely display its own menu. You can simply close that menu and SFC will have access to the CD for files if it needs to copy any. :)

#22 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:04 AM

It didn't help. But I did an AVG scan and may have found something. I'm almost sure the problem is ie7. I don't know if it means anything tho. ?
The scan says ...
http://i3.photobucke...lker38/SCAN.jpg

Posted Image

#23 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hello? What should I try next? :( I uninstalled IE7 and did a fresh install. Thats not the problem. :(

Edited by Starwalker, 20 June 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#24 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

Dough, Where did you go? :(

#25 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

Dough, Where did you go? :(

I am sure you know that all the people here on TC and most other forums are volunteers and have other jobs they go to. Could I suggest you need to be patient as dough and others will get back to you as soon as they can with more helpful suggestions for your problem.

kind regards,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hi Starwalker, Sorry I haven't been able to reply. I've had a hardware/electrical failure problem here at this end. I haven't been able to sustain an online presense. In the meantime, I've consulted collegues in hopes of gaining leads to solutions for your current situation. I will be checking in, and have asked others to reply in your thread as they are able. Best Regards

Edited by dough, 22 June 2007 - 06:05 PM.

#27 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:20 AM

Hi Dough, I totally understand. When it rains it pours. lol. Been there. :)

#28 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

Others have suggested exactly what you indicated you suspected previously. --- IE 7.0 Possibly a corrupted download of the installation file. Possibly some corruption occurring as a result of Windows Installer utility 3.0 leaving some junk files. _________ so please consider uninstalling IE 7.0 I believe you may already have done so, prior to re-installing IE 7.0 But I'd like you to just uninstall IE 7.0. That will cause your machine to revert to the embedded IE 6.0, which is fully functional and supported. Then run the Windows Installation Cleanup Utility. then please run with IE 6.0 for a couple of sessions to determine how the machine is running and if there are any problems with the IE 6.0. Please post back with your progress. Best Regards

#29 Starwalker

Starwalker

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

Hi, Thank you for replying. I tried to run the Windows Installation Cleanup. Here's what I got ...
http://i3.photobucke...38/untitled.jpg

Posted Image

How can we fix this?

#30 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Looks like you may have saved the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to a Temp folder when downloading.
Or you may have selected for the online installation?
One way or another, it appears that important files initially saved in Temp folder got deleted.
________

Uninstall your current instance of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

Create a New Folder on your C:\ drive
C:\New Folder
rename it to:
C:\Win installer Cleanup

Download a fresh Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to your New Folder.
Download link is provided about half way down the page on the below linked MS KB information page.

Read about and download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301