This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow Startup (moved)

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/Slow_Startup_t80003.html

That is my other topic, Ken told me to move my topic to here, since my log was clean. My problem is that when I startup and enter my password and click log in, I see my background, no desktop icons, no mouse, no toolbar, just the desktop background, and it stays like that for about 2 minutes, then it procedes to loading the toolbar and icons. Why is this happening, it used to load the toolbar right away and it was fast, no it's just plain slow. My hardware specs are in my signature. Any help is appreciated,

Thank you.
Hi Barqers, I'm consulting with Ken right now and will be back with a possible recommendation. Did this slow startup begin coincident with updating or installing your System Mechanic?
You know, I'm not quite sure. However, I know that I uninstalled microsoft office 2007 trial, then installed system mechanic. I've installed microsoft office 2007 trial, and uninstalled system mechanic and it still starts the same, I think it may not be dumping the RAM on shutdown, therefore dumping it on startup. If that's the case is there a way to reverse that? Because it's just more logical for it to dump the RAM when I'm walking away from the computer then just sitting down at it. Thanks for your help dough ^_^
There "may" be an issue with system mechanic's interaction with its home-site for updates and other purposes.

*** Note: There has been nothing "definitive" posted anywhere that I am aware of, but there have been a few "complaints".

You could consider disabling: ioloDMVSvc.exe

take a look here:
http://forums.techguy.org/security/544444-…nic-7-real.html

Pleae do keep us informed of your progress on this issue as we will very likely learn from your experience.

Best Regards


Edit:

Will you also Run the PCPitstop full Tests, and post the TechExpress Link, please.
Doing so will most likely give us additional information with which to assist you.
doug
Barqers,

Your Pit Test Results provide numerous items to fix.
Please follow all of the online recommendations provided in the Pit Test TuneUP Tips.

Questions:
Did you build this machine yourself?
Did you install the most up to date Chipset Drivers?
Did you consider updating/flashing your BIOS? <– Did you install the BIOS firmware? (Please don't launch into changing the BIOS at this time. You should get the rest of the machine and installed software cleaned up first before even considering flashing the BIOS.)

Your main problem source appears to be the dramatic under-performance of you Drive C:\ (at 15mps = 34%)
Lots of things can contribute to poor performance of a Hard Drive.

1. Hard Drive failure or pending failure
2. DMA UDMA not enabled
3. Incorrect IDE Driver or IDE Controller Drive requires update
4. Incorrect Jumper Settings (Master/Slave/Cable Select)
5. Fragmentation
6. Junk files
7. Drive File Structure faults (bad-sectors)
8. Excessive Startup Load
9. Bad Power Supply feed
10. Bad IDE cable or using 40 wire Ribbon when you should be using 80 wire ribbon/'cable

If you don't know how to test for the above 1- 10, ask specific questions.
_____________

Fix that IE Restricted Sites zone Problem IMMEDIATELY
_______________________

In the meantime, let's clean up the StartUp items that are contributing to your problem

Punkbuster

PunkBuster C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
PunkBuster C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe


is a beta version of a game add-on used in Call of Duty2 and some other games.

It is not required for you to play that or any other game, and is widely known to be poorly written and a contributor to LAG.
It may eventually be a useful tool to prevent gamers from hacking cheats in various games, but for now it seems to be causing way more problems than it is worth.

Recommendation: Uninstall - PunkBuster A & B
____________–

You seem to have uninstalled System Mechanic, but it left behind its "phone home" utility :
C:\Program Files\iolo\Common\Lib\ioloDMVSvc.exe

Recommendation: Uninstall ioloDMVSvc.exe
(If you can't easily uninstall it, at least turn it off in Startup and in Services)
_______________

NONE of these need to be running active at StartUP/
Disable them via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
FireWall.exe C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo FireWall\FireWall.exe
avgas.exe Anti-Malware Development a.s. C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
Microsoft IntelliType Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
PunkBuster C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
PunkBuster C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Windows Installer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
ATI Technologies Inc. C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
Anti-Malware Development a.s. C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
Opera browser Opera Software C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe


Question:
Why do you have your System Restore - disabled?
_______________

Reboot into SAFE Mode and Defrag both of your Hard Drives (Run your Defrag tool (3) three times in a row on both drives.
______________

Question:
Are you running this machine as a Server?
(for instance are you hosting various online games?)

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Microsoft Corporation May 30, 2007
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB927977) Microsoft Corporation May 30, 2007
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer Microsoft Corporation May 30, 2007
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) Microsoft Corporation May 30, 2007

_____________

Consider Rolling back to IE 6.0
_______________________

Take a look in your ADD/Remove and consider uninstalling various software that you do not use.

(note: it is not necessary or even recommended that you uninstall all of the following.)
(I'm just looking at "stuff" that may be unnecessary or may be contributing to your difficulty)
(I've included the various "media player" type devices in the list since it is not often that a user needs all of them)
(I've included both WinZip and WinRAR since I'm wondering why you'd need both)
(Iver included various DVD accessories, since usually all you need is PowerDVD)
(I've included QuickTime, RealPlayer, and Adobe Reader, because there are better alternatives for all three)
(I've included MS Office trial, since it seems to me you have mentioned trying to uninstall it)

BigFix Jun 11, 2007
Diablo II Jun 11, 2007
DIMIN Hotkeys (remove only) Jun 11, 2007
DirectX Media Runtime 5.1 Jun 11, 2007
FlashGet(JetCar) Jun 11, 2007
Gunbound Revolution NHN USA Jun 11, 2007
Limewire 4.12.11
MRU-Blaster v1.5 (Database 3/28/2004) Javacool Software LLC Jun 11, 2007
Logitech® Camera Driver Jun 11, 2007
Rakion International Softnyx co.,ltd. Jun 11, 2007
RealPlayer Jun 11, 2007
Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX Adobe Systems Jun 11, 2007
Silkroad Jun 11, 2007
Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Trial Microsoft Corporation Jun 11, 2007
Starcraft Jun 11, 2007
Steam Valve Jun 11, 2007
Trickster Online NTREEV Jun 11, 2007
Tweak UI Jun 11, 2007
Unlocker 1.8.5 Cedrick Collomb Jun 11, 2007
Viewpoint Media Player Jun 11, 2007
Winamp (remove only) Jun 11, 2007
Winamp Essentials Pack v5.32 Jun 11, 2007
Windows Live OneCare safety scanner Jun 11, 2007
Windows Media Format 11 runtime Jun 11, 2007
Windows Media Player 11 Jun 11, 2007
WinRAR archiver Jun 11, 2007
WinZip WinZip Computing LP Jun 11, 2007
Xfire (remove only) Jun 11, 2007
Launcher Jun 11, 2007
SuperUtility Jun 11, 2007
Multimedia Launcher Jun 11, 2007
Logitech Desktop Messenger Logitech, Inc. Jun 11, 2007
PlanetSide: Aftershock Jun 11, 2007
PowerProducer Jun 11, 2007
DVD Solution Jun 11, 2007
Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.1 Microsoft Jun 11, 2007
Logitech QuickCam Software Logitech, Inc. Jun 11, 2007
Voyage Century Online 1.21 Skyunion, Inc. Jun 04, 2007
Ashampoo FireWall 1.20 ashampoo GmbH & Co. KG Jun 03, 2007
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system Microsoft Corporation Jun 03, 2007
America's Army U.S. Army May 30, 2007
MapleStory Nexon May 30, 2007
Disc2Phone Sony Media Software May 30, 2007
Opera 9.21 Opera Software ASA May 23, 2007
ATI Catalyst Control Center Mar 21, 2007
MapleStory WIZET Mar 18, 2007
Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 Microsoft Mar 11, 2007
Microsoft Office XP Standard Microsoft Corporation Mar 06, 2007
Microsoft Global IME for Office XP (Korean) Microsoft Feb 26, 2007
Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation Feb 14, 2007
Adobe Reader 7.0.9 Adobe Systems Incorporated Feb 06, 2007
QuickTime Apple Computer, Inc. Feb 05, 2007
Sony Ericsson PC Suite 1.20.173 Sony Ericsson Jan 29, 2007
Calculator Powertoy for Windows XP Microsoft Corporation Jan 21, 2007
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant Microsoft Corporation Jan 21, 2007
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Jan 20, 2007
WordPerfect Office 12 Corel Corporation Jan 20, 2007
_______

Consider getting a different Firewall
You are using Ashampoo
Consider:
Sygate
ZoneAlarm
Kerio
Commodo
_____________

I'm confused about your setup for RAID
You aren't using RAID, but you have a RAID controller:
SiSRaidPackage Jun 11, 2007

What's up with that?
You can leave it installed without harm, but I wonder what it's doing there and/or what you have planned for it.
___________

Please address all of the above, and/or ask additional specific questions as necessary.
____________


After you have completed the above, please Run and Post a fresh Pit Test Tech Express.

Best Regards
Okay, I have done everything except my defrag, I will go do that right now, however some questions arose. What programs out there are better than realplayer/quick time/winamp/windows media player 11 are out there? and are compatible with my media buttons on my keyboard. What program is better than adobe reader? Also which firewall would you personally recommend, because I had comodo before, and personally, it asked too many questions. Zone alarm slowed down startup by 82% in a poll I read. Haven't heard of the other 2, however I thought sygate was discontinued. Which one are you using? And preferences to why you feel it is the best one. After I reboot into SAFE mode and run the windows cleaner and defrag, I will post a new pitstop tech express log for you to look over. Thank you for your time and effort ^_^,       François
Where are your Hard Drives?
Specifically, what IDE Channel and what position is each?

Recommendation: Both should be on Primary IDE with C:\ as Master and D:\ as Slave, (or both as Cable Select with C:\ in the Master (end of cable) position)

Disable the following from running active on your machine:

ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Anti-Malware Development a.s. C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
Opera browser Opera Software C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe


Quicktime Alternative
Real Alternative
Media Player 11 is just fine. I use version 9, but 10 or 11 are both OK if you turn off all the DRM RAII stuff
Foxit (instead of Adobe Reader)

I have used Zone Alarm (free version) for several years with absolutely no problem.
Okay, I have switched my C:\ to the Master on primary IDE and D:\ as Slave on primary IDE.

I got rid of

ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe



However Opera only runs when I access the internet, I had it open while running the pcpitstop test, and guard.exe was part of avg anti-spyware, which is disabled for startup. And it was also a part of avg anti-virus, which I keep running at all times.

I switched to the alternatives for

Quicktime Alternative
Real Alternative
Foxit (instead of Adobe Reader)


However what are the DRM RAII stuff for windows media player 11 that you are talking about, and how shall I go about disabling them.

I also used the free version of zone alarm, which is just the plain firewall.

I am just about to start another pcpitstop test, and opera will not be open this time:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=H64BHWV9JHVSQBTW

Thanks ^_^
I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my harddrive. Before I go out and buy a new one, is there a way to find out if it's actually broken, or if it's just a minor problem that can be fixed. I tried SeaGate tools, everytime I try the diagnostic testing, it aborts at like 99%, so that wasn't much use. I defragged multiple times, with multiple cleaners, (CCleaner). Thank you ^_^
Generally I'd recommend using the manufacturer's tool as you have attempted using the Seagate hard drive fitness tool.

Since you're having trouble with that tool, here's another one that works across all brands and types of memory components: (courtesy of recommendation from Classroom Teacher little eagle)

http://www.hdtune.com/

Sure seems like you have a failing Hard Drive.
You could bring in another HD as your C:\ load it with your operating system and see if it performs significantly better.
It should, and you should be getting speeds in the 42mp/s range or better depending on the HD you select. (Pit Test should indicate 100% - 110% performance comparison)
You could also pop that current C:\ hard drive into another machine as Slave and see if it performs better in a different machine.

You could also Format and Reinstall your operating system on the current C:\ Hard Drive to see if that improves performance. (It really shouldn't)

All of the above may help in investigating/trouble-shooting whether that drive is going bad.

As it presently appears, I'd be wanting to be rid of it or at least sure that it's been fixed via CHECKDISK and SCANDISK
______

About the Media Player 11 settings……..
Sorry I meant RIAA. (Recording Industry Association of America)

Media Player has default options set to look up license, acquire additional information available online, etc. for any media you may play.
I turn it all off.

Go to:
Open Media Player - Tools - Options - Media Library and Privacy (tabs) <– I've removed checkmarks from all items in those two tabs
_________________
I removed all checks in Windows Media Player > Tools > Options > Privacy (Tab) Hm, I see I do have a significant problem with this hard drive, check disk, scan disk, hdtune didn't find any errors, but I'm not sure what else it could be. Would it be possible to download datalifeguard tools and copy everything onto my western digital drive? or will windows not recognize the new harddrive as the master? I have run out of windows installations on my windows xp home cd so I want to make sure that I won't have to install anything.
Sounds like you want to migrate the Operating System and entire contents of C:\ (seagate drive that is underperforming) to your Western Digital Hard Drive. You should be able to do that with the tools supplied with your Western Digital hard Drive. Or if you decide to buy a new Hard Drive, the CD that comes with it should give you tools to migrate from your current C:\ When migrating files, use the tools associated with the "target drive" (the hard drive that is receiving the files)
Okay, I did it successfully, however, I had the same problem and when I did a pcpitstop full test it said my western digital was running at 14mb/s and my seagate harddrive was running at 42mb/s….

Something is wrong with the system files in windows, I have no idea what could cause this, hopefully you do?

In any case, I will do some googling to find other people with the problem, or if windows has released an update for this.

In the mean time, if you have a cure already, I will keep the thread updated.

Anyone else viewing this thread may post if you truly know the error, however, please do not post outside links, for I will not visit them, unless provided by a tomcoyote staff. You may post suggestions and I will see which ones are reasonable.


Thank you for your help,

Francois

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI