This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved]Pc Reboots Its Self

27 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi ginkara,

This appears to be a common problem, and the support information from ATI is less than helpful:

Symptoms:
When installing the Catalyst display driver software, users may be given a Zero Display Service Error message.

Cause:
The cause of this error message is not known.

Solution:
To workaround this issue, click OK at the error message, continue through the installation and reboot when prompted. In most cases, the software will install and work correctly.

I suggest you try uninstalling all video drivers, rebooting, and then reinstalling.

I think there is a reasonable chance that your video card/driver is the cause of the reboot problem, so I'd say it's worth pursuing, but I can't offer you much expertise on the subject. I'd recommend posting in the Other computer problems forum here at Tom Coyote or at PC Pitstop for assistance with this.

We aren't finished cleaning malware, but I think we're getting close. After the rebooting issue is resolved, your machine needs XP Service Pack 2 before doing anything else, then we need to clean up a few remaining issues.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.
Hi Silver, Given I have such a poor knowledge on how to even uninstall a driver etc, I think it may be easier if I reformat, then I guess I will get rid of any bugs hanging around. Your Thoughts ?
Hi, My personal view is that where any machine is as badly compromised as this one was, it's best to reformat. However, for many users reformatting isn't easy or practical, so cleaning is the way to go. It really has to be down to the user to decide. So how difficult is it in your case to reformat? Have you got your recovery CDs, XP CD or other means to reinstall Windows? Do you have all your application software available for reinstall? Have you burned a copy of all your personal data? If the answer is yes to all these questions, then it's certainly feasible. At this stage, my recommendation would be to try to resolve the video driver problem. Updating your video driver is likely to be quite easy compared to what we have done so far, and I'm sure there are experts very willing to help you with doing this. If that doesn't work then I'd tend towards reformatting, depending on the answers to the above questions.
Hi Silver, I have all the disks needed for a reformat, would you know if the video driver is infected or perhaps the graphics card has packed it in ? I was thinking if the driver/s may be infected I will just reformat. Thanks
Hi ginkara, I don't think the driver is infected by malware, I think it's not working normally and it may be causing the rebooting problem. If this is correct, the resolution would be to replace it with the latest version and see if the problem persists. Reformatting would of course also resolve the issue. A hardware fault is also a possibility, if the problem persists after a reformat then a hardware problem would be indicated. At this stage I can't tell which it is and my advice to you remains the same - to either update the video driver software or reformat. :)
Hi Silver, I have tried again to reinstall the driver & an error has occured "You have chosen to install Catalyst Control Centre. The minimum .NET Framework version required is 2.0 Please Install before launching application" Thanks
Hi ginkhara,

Well that's an improvement on the previous message :)

You can get the .NET Framework Version 2.0 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

However, the System Requirements state Windows XP Service Pack 2, which you do not have so it's not likely to install.

You could try installing SP2, it's available from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
But we aware this is a very large download (266Mb) so you should probably use a download manager such as:
http://www.dlmage.com/ - Download Mage - free 30 day trial
http://dfast.sourceforge.net/ - wxDownloadfast - open source free download manager

I recommend you try the Other Computer Problems forum for assistance with the driver before reformatting, because the helpers there may have other ways to resolve the driver issue.
Hi Silver, I will follow it up through the OCP forum. Id like to say thanks for all your help & getting my p/c stable, I really appreciate it & will ensure I donate. Your & your collegues work is first rate. :thumbup: Thanks Again Ginkara
You're very welcome and best of luck :) Since this issue appears to be resolved, this topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you are the topic starter and need this topic reopened, please PM a staff member with a link to this thread and we will reopen it for you. Anyone else who needs assistance should begin a new topic.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI