This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Freezing Computer

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Wow. Who decided computers were to be so difficult and why were they made to be so NEEDED?!?!?! I have a laptop that suffers a lot of wear and tear…aka, it's the family computer. For several months now, on occasion, it will start being stubborn and refuse to behave. Mostly? It will freeze up. It will just slowly stop responding until NOTHING can be done. In fact, most of the time, during these episodes, it can't even be turned off properly…I have to do it the "bad" way. I've made sure it wasn't malware or viruses causing this. I worked with "Little Eagle" in the Malware forum and after getting rid of a tiny bit of things, he deemed the system was not infected and I might want to check it out here. So, after a few more months of hoping this problem would just go away, it hasn't, and….I'm here! My first thought, was that I have WAY too many running processes. I think I also have WAY too many startups. But I am afraid to do anything to any of them, for fear of compromising my system. I have noticed a lot of svchost.exe's on the list, and a few others that seem to be sucking my memory constantly. Help?? I am hoping this will be a clean and easy fix….for YOU and me!!! BTW, I have a program called RegistryBooster, from Uniblue, and it detects problem registry entries, and upon doing a first scan, it found over 1200 (!) "bad" entries. Mostly missing files and such. I've also defragmented the system a few times. Right now the computer is working "well". It wasn't the past two weeks. I almost deemed the system "unusable", but thought I should give it one last galant workup!!!
OK, it appears that you've competed work with Little Eagle and have ruled out Malware for now.

Let's get a quick overview of your entire machine.

Run the Full Tests at http://www.pcpitstop.com (registering and accepting the ActiveX is safe, free and takes about 2 1/2 minutes to complete the scan via DSL, not much more on dial-up.)
Post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for us to take a look at the machine's functioning.

Best Regards
Well, the test doesn't seem to want to go past the Checking Disk Health part. It gets stuck at 23% each time. I have given it well over 5 minutes to get past that point, each time, and to no avail.

Using the debugging tool, and checked to skip past the Disk Health part, and retest. I did so, and it found some errors along the way, but did finish the test.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=JEYYHW8PG0WS4M8W

After looking at a few things from the results, I noticed a few programs that I "thought" had been deleted in the past, or that I installed well over a year ago, and it showed that they were just just installed yesterday. I don't think this is the root of my problem, but just something I noticed.

So, whatcha think???

So, whatcha think???


At first glance it appears that there is no reason to "deem the machine unuseable"

Perform the following procedures (in order as they appear in this post)

In Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Security - Restricted Sites
Change the Setting to Default
___________-

Disable (via MSCONFIG) the items below that appear in Bold
Dell DVD Sentry Dell - Advanced Desktop Engineering C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
Intel Hotkeys Intel Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
Dell Access Direct C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
CD-RW support Sonic Solutions C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

USB Mass Storage Cypress Semiconductor C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
Question: What Mass Storage are you using? For instance, External Hard Drive? USB Memory Stick?
After you "disable" this item via MSCONFIG, go to your Mass Storage Device and perform a normal read/write function to test the Mass Storage functionality. For instance, Create a new Document in MS Office - Save the Document - Close MS Office - Then Open the Document by double-clicking its file in your Mass Storage.
If your Mass Storage no longer functions the way you wish it to, simply "re-enable" the item via MSCONFIG

Windows Installer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
(additional steps to assure this item stays disabled)
This program is "non-essential" and is running constantly. Disabling it via MSCONFIG will have no adverse affect on your machine. If you later install software that calls for Windows Installer, it will start automatically for that specific procedure.
(for instance when installing MS Updates)
***Go to Administrative Tools | Services and make sure the Windows Installer service is set to Manual (not Automatic).

Special case for disabling the following item (MSCONFIG will not work to disable cftmon.exe)
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
GoTo:
Start - Control Panel - Regional and Language Settings - Language(tab) - Press - Details - Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a Checkmark/tick in front of the item: "Turn off Advanced Text Services"
__________
__________
__________

Next:

Uninstall - eMule Via Control Panel - Add/Remove

If your Napster application is the application is the legitimate paid version, it's fine.
If not, Uninstall Napster via Control Panel - Add/Remove

Limewire (free) version 4.12.11 is a reliable peer-to-peer application that does not come bundled with adware/spyware as do some versions of eMule and older "free" versions of Napster.
__________

Set your IE browser cache size to 80
__________

Reduce your System Restore reserved space to approximately (2gb or less, but at least 1gb)
____________

Run your Disk Cleanup
Start - Run - (type)cleanmgr - Enter

or if you prefer - Run your Ccleaner
____________

You appear to be having some difficulty with your Hard Drive - File Structure
Such problems occur occasionally and degrade system performance, but are not a "cause for alarm".
However, you should repair the Hard Drive disk file structure to prevent additional system problems.
Think of it this way. XP was originally installed in 2004 on that machine, and has been running ever since.
It is not unusual to accumulate "bad-cluster" type problems in that amount of time.
Run your CHECKDISK utility, as follows:
Start - Run -(type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter <– notice the space before "/f" and "/r"
you will be "warned" that CHECKDISK cannot be run at this time due to inability to lock files or files in use.
You will be invited to allow CHECKDISK to run the next time you Reboot your machine. Agree by typing "Y" - Enter
Reboot your machine.

CHECKDISK will open during the boot-up cycle, before opening Windows
It will run a series of 5 scans.
CHECKDISK does not create a log, but if you follow along with the Scan, it alerts when it finds a "bad-cluster" and announces that it is moving the file contents to a safe known-good location on the Hard Drive disk surface.
CHECKDISK scans take between 30 - 40 minutes depending upon the size of your Hard Drive.
Note: CHECKDISK should be run multiple times if it does detect any "bad-clusters".
Please Run CHECKDISK a second and even third time until no errors/bad-clusters are identified.

Next:
Run Windows File Protection System File Checker
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter

A block DOS type box will open briefly and then disappear before you can read its contents. That's OK.
Then the Windows File Protection progress bar will display to track progress as SFC scans.
If SFC identifies any missing or corrupted operating system files, it will alert you to insert your XP installation CD.
SFC will then copy a known good version of the missing/corrupted file from the CD and into the correct location in files.
SFC scans take about 20 to 30 minutes.
One full scan should be sufficient.
If SFC terminates within 2 or 3 minutes, then it did not complete its scan.
Please alert us to the fact, if this happens.

Please let us know if you do not have XP installation CD, as we will have to describe additional steps for a workaround.
____________

I'm not a big fan of "frequent" use of Registry Cleaners.
However, "occasional" cleaning of the Registry to remove invalid entries can improve machine performance.
Always Create a Registry Backup - before making any Registry Changes
1200 Registry errors is significant, but is not an "unusual" amount of errors to accumulate over a few years, or even shorter periods of time if you are installing and uninstalling alot of applications.
You have "Registry Booster" from UniBlue.
I am not familiar with that utility, but I do respect UniBlue.
If you are confident of your tool, and it automatically creates a backup before repair, go ahead and run it.
If you are not familiar with creating Registry Backup, then "ask" before performing this step.
____________

Reboot into SAFE Mode
While in SAFE Mode - Defrag your Hard Drive
Run your Disk Defragmenter Tool (3) three times in sequence one after another for a good complete defrag
____________

Your JAVA Runtime Environment (1.5.0.11) is out of date.
Uninstall "all" versions of JAVE JRE before updating.
Then go here to download and install the most recent version of JRE:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Agree to the "terms"
Select the "offline" installation.
This is the item you will download: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1
Download and SAVE: Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe 13.16 MB
Close all browser and other windows.
Go to the location you saved the JRE installation file.
Install the JRE
________________-

Tell us a little more about your DSL service.
You have Broadcom, Alpha Networks, and D-Link Airplus G, all installed.
If your ISP requires all of the above, then fine.
If not, you may be running one or more of them active from an older ISP subscription, and no longer needed them.
Don't disable any of those DSL related items just yet, until you review what your ISP and internet connectivity requires.
___________________
Spyware Guard is a fine protective utility from Javacoolsoftware, but I am not a big fan of it running on "low resource" machines (512mb RAM or less) because it is such a resource hog.
Consider Uninstalling Spyware Guard via Control Panel - Add/Remove

To provide excellent protection similar to Spyware Guard and without the resource hit, update your SpywareBlaster and enable all protection, then install Mvps Hosts File
Download and instructions, here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
__________

Adobe Reader 7.0.8 is a reputable .pdf document reader, but it is a huge "resource hog"
Consider completely Uninstalling Adobe Reader.
Consider the excellent, and low-impact alternative: Foxit
Download and install Foxit, after Uninstalling Abobe Reader
Here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
__________

Consider installing FireFox (free version), as an alternative (and better in my opinion) browser.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
_________

Update and Run your various AntiMalware Utilities:
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware

Consider installing the excellent AVG AntiSpyware (free version) (disable the real-time protection and use it as a manual scan)

Consider installing Zone Alarm (free version) Firewall.

Run a fresh Pit Test and post the new TechExpress link.
Post back with your progress.

Best Regards
Sorry for the delay….with such a "list" of things to do, and LIFE, it took me a few days to do everything!

Computer has been working GREAT for the past few days. I notice a huge difference.

In order:


I disabled all of those processes via MSCONFIG. But I've noticed all of them, but the last two, are still "running" in my process list on CTRL+ALT+DEL. Did I not do it right, then?


I decided to keep eMule. Here's the deal with Naptser. Years ago, I did have the paid version of Napster installed. But I canceled it and everytime I try to uninstall it from ADD/REMOVE programs, it says" I am trying to INSTALL an older version of Napster than what my computer already has and I need to delete my current version before I can INSTALL this version." Problem is, THIS version is the only version ADD/REMOVE shows I have and it won't let me UNINSTALL it!


IE browser cache adjusted to 80


Reduced System Restore space


Ran CCleaner


Ran CHECKDISK without any problems and after two times, there were no more problems

Ran SCANNOW without any problems and did NOT need to use SP installation disk


Registry Booster is something I don't plan on using very much. I respect the fact that things can get pretty messed up when dealing with registry entries, and it DID prompt a registry back up before doing a cleaning.


Ran defragmenter several times.

Uninstalled old version of Java and updated with newer one.

My DSL: well, I've been using Earthlink services for a couple of years now. I use two wireless adapters: One is Linksys, an older, but reliable one, and the other is D-Link, a newer one, but I ran into browsing problems using it, so I went back to using the Linksys one. While I don't know anything about Broadcom, I did find in my programs and it appears to be a utility linked to my Linksys wireless adapter. The D-Link is my other adapter, and Alpha Networks….I have NO CLUE. could it be my internal modem that came with the computer?


Uninstalled Spyware Guard


Decided to keep Adobe reader


Installed and using Firefox. Question: Why is it better. I mean, I've heard it's safer….but how? So far I like it, but don't really notice any difference. I'd love to know exactly why it's better than IE. Also, do I just keep IE on my computer? Will it cause any conflicts using it at all, with Firefox?


Ran anti malware programs, and they only found 10-15 tracking cookies. I noticed a program on my program list called "Spy Protector". I've never noticed this before and have never used it. At least that I'm aware of. What do you think? There's a tab to Uninstall it. It shows up under Security Task Manager, on my program list.

Already had AVG Anti-Spyware program installed and use it frequently.

Installed Zone Alarm and it's up and running and "seems" to be doing it's job. Boy, it's a stubborn little guy…not letting ANYTHING past, unless I let it!


New Pitstop analysis: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=JEYYHW8PG0WSD68W
I didn't have the problems like before, where it got hung up in Testing Disk Health. Everything went smoothly. It's saying that I need to adjust my IE Browser Cache, and that I have it set on 5 MB, but I don't. I went to check and it's at 80.



Like I said…My computer seem to be working real well now. I GUESS I won't toss it in the trash after all B)
Hi haypor,

Glad the machine is already running better. :thumbup:

I decided to keep eMule. Here's the deal with Naptser. Years ago, I did have the paid version of Napster installed. But I canceled it and everytime I try to uninstall it from ADD/REMOVE programs, it says" I am trying to INSTALL an older version of Napster than what my computer already has and I need to delete my current version before I can INSTALL this version." Problem is, THIS version is the only version ADD/REMOVE shows I have and it won't let me UNINSTALL it!


Sometimes various files associated with Napster "go missing", so when the owner/user attempts to Uninstall via Add/Remove the procedure fails. You can "re-install" the "same version" of Napster over top of the present one, to get a clean installation, then use Add/Remove to uninstall it. Add/Remove should then be able to complete the Uninstall.

It's your machine, therefore your choice regarding eMule.
eMule is known to be a bit more "quirky" than some other peer-to-peer clients, so be careful to "scan" all files you may download, before running or displaying them.
______________

My DSL: well, I've been using Earthlink services for a couple of years now. I use two wireless adapters: One is Linksys, an older, but reliable one, and the other is D-Link, a newer one, but I ran into browsing problems using it, so I went back to using the Linksys one. While I don't know anything about Broadcom, I did find in my programs and it appears to be a utility linked to my Linksys wireless adapter. The D-Link is my other adapter, and Alpha Networks….I have NO CLUE. could it be my internal modem that came with the computer?


Good research regarding your DSL adapter(s)
Do you actually have more than one DSL Adapter physically installed?
Since it is a Laptop, I highly doubt that you do.
Having the drivers for both, will continue to "show up" but should not create a problem.
If you want to simply "clean it up" you can uninstall the D-Link drivers. No problem if you decide to leave it or remove it.

Installed and using Firefox. Question: Why is it better. I mean, I've heard it's safer….but how? So far I like it, but don't really notice any difference. I'd love to know exactly why it's better than IE. Also, do I just keep IE on my computer? Will it cause any conflicts using it at all, with Firefox?


Several differences between IE and Firefox, but the safety/security issue relates to Microsoft's brainchild called ActiveX.
ActiveX is an MS scripting that allows websites and downloaded files to "Run remotely" from websites. ActiveX is very useful in most situations. For instance, you accepted an ActiveX in order to run the Pit Test. Other important security related sites like TrendMicro, Panda, Kaspersky, etc., also use ActiveX scripts to allow your machine to run their scans. There are, however, risky ActiveX scripts that can take control and damage your machine. IE makes it "easier" for ActiveX scripts to run on your machine whether or not they are safe or malicious. Firefox handles ActiveX in a different way and makes it less likely that an ActiveX can run, even on the safe websites. For instance, you'd not be able to run the Pit Test, or the other sited tests when browsing with FireFox.

You can't "uninstall" IE. Microsoft has it so "embedded" into the operating system that the machine would fail if attempts were made to remove it. (there are some "exotic" methods to get rid of IE, but it's just not worth it in my opinion) Furthermore, IE is "required" for downloading MS Updates and Critical Patches. Windows users just "live with it".
You'll probably do better staying with IE 6 and "not" upgrading to IE 7, at least for the near future, as IE 7 presents some problems and loads that can cause low resource machines some problems.

Spy Protector

I don't know this utility or where you got it.
It is not listed as "rogue-suspect", but neither is it listed as "recommended".
It's up to you to keep or uninstall.

I disabled all of those processes via MSCONFIG. But I've noticed all of them, but the last two, are still "running" in my process list on CTRL+ALT+DEL. Did I not do it right, then?


Yes it appears that the "unnecessary" applications/utilities are still running actively from StartUp.

Download: CodeStuff Starters, here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Run Starters
from the "StartUps"(tab) - GoTo - File - "Save As Plain Text"
Copy/Paste that Plain Text report into your next Reply.
_________

It's your choice to keep Adobe or not.
I'll urge you again to consider Foxit as a low impact alternative.
You can always reinstall Adobe.

________

We'll take care of the "unnecessary" startups after your next Reply with the Plain Text report.

Glad your machine is running better for you.

Best Regards
Okay, I deleted the Spy Protector. And you convinced me (easy enough) to get rid of Adobe and get Foxit. I guess I was a little nervous to try something new, and figured it wouldn't hurt to just keep Adobe, but I've really enjoyed learning what I have, through this forum, over the past few years, so I did it and really not a big deal, huh? thanks! As far as the wireless routers go, I have the two installed so I could use either. Also, in my list of processes, I see svchost.exe numerous times. I understand that as a valid process, but I also understand it can be a virus. I'm concerned why there are so many of them listed. My antivirus scan did not pick up anything. What do you think? Here's the plain text (I hope I gave you what you needed…it looks awfully daunting!): Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company "ANIWZCS2Service","C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","ANIWZCS2 launcher for Windows. (ANIWZCS2 Service Launcher (9x))","Alpha Networks Inc." "AVG7_CC","C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP","Registry - Machine Run","1","AVG Control Center (AVG Anti-Virus system)","GRISOFT, s.r.o." "AVG7_Run","C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE","Registry - Def User Run","1","AVG 7.5 Launcher (AVG Anti-Virus system)","GRISOFT, s.r.o." "BCMSMMSG","BCMSMMSG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Modem Messaging Applet (BCM Modem Messaging Applet)","Broadcom Corporation" "DadApp",""C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","","" "dla","C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Drive Letter Access Component","Sonic Solutions" "D-Link AirPlus G","C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","D-Link Wireless LAN Monitor (Wireless LAN Monitor)","D-Link" "DVDSentry","C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","DVDSentry (Dell - DVDSentry)","Dell - Advanced Desktop Engineering" "HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation" "IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation" "LXCGCATS","rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCGtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16","Registry - Machine Run","1","Timer DLL","" "MsnMsgr",""C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background","Registry - User Run","1","Messenger","Microsoft Corporation" "QuickTime Task",""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime","Registry - Machine Run","1","QuickTime Task (QuickTime)","Apple Computer, Inc." "SM1BG","C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE","Registry - Machine Run","1","Cypress USB Mass Storage Driver Background Application (Cypress USB Mass Storage Adapter)","Cypress Semiconductor" "SunJavaUpdateSched",""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Java™ Platform SE binary (Java™ Platform SE 6 U1)","Sun Microsystems, Inc." "SynTPEnh",""C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements (Progressive Touch)","Synaptics, Inc." "SynTPLpr",""C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","TouchPad Driver Helper Application (Progressive Touch)","Synaptics, Inc." "UpdateManager",""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r","Registry - Machine Run","1","Sonic Update Manager","Sonic Solutions" "WinPatrol",""C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","WinPatrol System Monitor ( WinPatrol Monitor)","BillP Studios" "ZoneAlarm Client",""C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","ZoneAlarm Client","Zone Labs, LLC"
Other people have been trying to help me with my problems, so I thought I would give a hand here in return.

Spy Protector is Part of the full version of Security Task Manager….As far as I am aware both are safe (I have used Sec Task Manager but I don't really need it).

I note you mentioned svchost.exe is using a lot of CPU….this is usually the the svchost responsible for Automatic Updates.

I had exactly the same problem with my other PC……Now cured using this……

[NB….sorry for not mentioning who's solution it is/was….I just copied the text to a Word Doc. at the time]

Symptoms:
svchost.exe is taking up too much CPU, around 50% and taking a lot of Memory Usage. Some users may encounter a full 100% CPU usage, see solution below.

Solution:
–> Stop the Automatic Updates Service by going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Find the Automatic Updates service on the list on the right hand side of the window. Right click on the list and click Stop.

–> Download http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264
After downloading the file from Microsoft, you may be asked to Validate your copy of windows. If not, run the tool and install it.

–> Restart your computer in SAFE MODE. (What is Safe Mode? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_mode))
~Go to the directory of WINDOWS (Located in C:\WINDOWS)
~Locate and RENAME the folder 'Software Distribution' to 'Software Distribution.old'. After renaming it, find a text file called 'Windows Update.log' (some users may have a 'WindowsUpdate.log' without a space). Rename 'Windows Update.log' or 'WindowsUpdate.log' to 'Windows Update.log.old'

–> REBOOT your computer in Normal Mode
Go back to Administrative Tools and click Services. Find the Automatic Updates service. This time, click RESTART to restart the service. Don't end it, don't start it, just RESTART it.

With regard to msconfig…..it is not a good idea to start and stop processes in this section.

You should really do it in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

I use Windows Defender [not for Malware Protection….it is c…p] to identify what programs and services are running and you can use this to safely turn off / stop most of them. I even have Defender turned off unless I use it.

You can use msconfig to identify what runs at startup….you need to keep this as small a number as possible. I have over 70 programs installed according to the list in Add/Remove excluding updates…..Only 8 run at startup according to msconfig. I could take it down to 6.

Hope it is of use.

D
Thanks for your contribution d486, TC is a great place for Members to offer their knowledge and experience to others. Again, Thanks. With regard to using MSCONFIG to disable items in StartUp. This issue has been debated endlessly throughout the Internet. MS initially described MSCONFIG as a tool for temporary testing items to be allowed to run at StartUp. Since that time it has been found to be a reliable, more long term use tool. It is true that many items must also have their Services stopped for the item to actually cease to function. However, terminating Services can have affects on other dependency utilities and services, and therefore must be approached with greater care than simply removing an item from loading at startup. The steps that I've outlined above, are safe, sufficient, and reliable. ______- The issue of turning off Automatic Updates is also an important consideration. It is also subject to wide opinion variance. It takes a relatively alert and self-disciplined owner/user to regularly "turn on" auto Updates, check for updates, download and install them, then "turn off" Automatic Updates again. In most cases, it makes alot of sense to leave it on. Best Regards
Sorry, Dough……I'm no expert [Anyway, 'X' is an unknown quantity and 'Spurt' is a drip under pressure] as you may see from the problems I have been having, however, if I hadn't thought about the various bits of conflicting advice I have been given to resolve it, I would be in an even bigger mess by now. As all the other 'experienced' users tell me and quoting with respect to Crow responding to me on this site "The thing is that with computers there is always more than one correct answer. And alot of trouble shooting is opinionated, not to mention the correct way to solve a problem……………..and if you'll notice, Tom Coyotes along with a very others work together and "train" and "learn" from each other in order to kill that very problem. So, any help we can be…you just let us know.. we have many qualified individuals posting here and if theres one thing I can say about all of us here, if we dont know… we will tell you we dont know" I have purely outlined a cure for the svchost.exe CPU hogging problem which worked in my case…..Many times I feel that people don't read the questions and answers properly so….. I followed the instructions very carefully……If you look again, I haven't said anything about turning Automatic Updates 'On and Off' as a regular action, which you are implying. I would also mention that as far as I can recall in msconfig, Startup only shows processes that run at Startup, as it says….and if you look at all the Services in msconfig there is no description as to what they do…..hence it is better to look at Services via the Control Panel. And if I recall correctly, if you use msconfig to stop a process / alter a setting, don't you have to reboot every time?…..You don't if you use Services via the Control Panel. I also did not advise Haypor which services to turn On and Off…..I just informed him of the 'correct' location where to do it [meaning where he could more clearly identify what the services are, rather than in msconfig which doesn't say what the startup processes actually do]………but if you need to know…… ….."Here, thanks to Harsh J Chouraria, aka Qwerty Maniac, who generously contributed his research work is a small, but effective guide to help you identify those popular Windows services that you need to shutdown to regain some speed in your PC. Uneeded Windows services that you can turn off: • AdobeLM Service: Not all computers have this service, still it is useless, just disable it if you have it. • Alerter: Disable this one if you are not on a network because you will not receive alerts. • Application Management: Set this to manual. • Automatic Updates: Disable it if you don't require auto updating and patching of Windows. It is pretty useless if you use auto-patcher by NeoWin to update your Windows OS. Thus, you will save bandwidth. • ClipBook: Disable this if you are not on a network, since you don’t need to share anything. • Computer Browser: Disable this too if you are not on a network, as you don't need to browse and monitor connected computers. • Cryptographic Services: Set this to manual if you are not sure you need it. • Distributed Transaction Service: Set this to manual. • DNS Client: Set this to manual if you are not on a network. • Error Reporting Service: Disable this useless service for reporting errors to Microsoft, because they will hardly even reply to you for any error you get. Also saves lots of bandwidth. • Fast User Switching Compatibility: Disable it if you have only a single user on your computer, or if you do not use fast user switching feature much. That is, if you completely log-off and then allow other users to use your computer, then you do not need this. Note that this service is completely useless for low memory computers. • FTP Publishing: Disable this if you do not use FTP. • Help and Support: Set it to manual or turn it off if you do not use the help feature often. You can turn it on again when you want help. • HTTP SSL: Set it to manual. • Human Interface Device Access: Turn it off if you do not use hot-keys or remote systems on your computer; if you use them sometimes, it is better turn it to manual. • IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service: Set this to manual to save memory and time. Do not turn it off if you have a CD writer or a DVD writer attached to your computer. • Indexing Service: Turn it off, it uses lots of CPU. If you are an avid searcher, like a maniac, on your computer, leave it on since it will help you. If you know where your files are and do not use search that often, then disable it for your good. • InstallDriver Table Manager: Disable it, it does no harm in doing so. • IPSEC Services: Set this to manual. • Windows Messenger: Disable this if you are not on a network, it uses too much memory and it is a hog. Also, it does no good and sometimes it is likely to become a security threat. • MS Software Shadow Copy Provider: Set this to manual. • Net Logon: Disable if you are not on a network. • NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing: Disable this if you do not use Remote Desktop feature; in my opinion, it is a pretty useless feature. • Network Provisioning Service: Disable this, iti s useless if you are not on a network. • NT LM Security Support Provider: Disable this, its useless too. • NVIDIA Display Driver Service: If you do not use the features of nVidia Desktop, this service must be disabled; it is a big hog of memory. • Office Source Engine: Disable it if you have a MS Office CD handy always, its helpful if your installation goes corrupt. • Portable Media Serial Number Service: Set it to manual if you connect portable media to your computer, otherwise disable it. • Print Spooler: Disable it if you don’t have a printer. • Protected Storage: Disable it if you don’t allow strangers to sit on your encrypted storage computer. • Remote Desktop Help Session Manager: Disable it if you don’t use Remote Desktop feature for help and support from Microsoft which most probably is a "Yes". • Remote Procedure Call Locator: Set it to manual. • Remote Registry: Serious security threat if turned on, disable it no matter what. • Removable Storage: Disable it if you don’t use removable storage drives, else turn it manual. • Routing and Remote Access: Set it to manual. • Secondary Logon: Useless feature for most, disable it or turn it manual. • Security Accounts Manager: Disable it, it's pretty useless, unless you use NTFS Encryption. • Security Center: dayam useless and irritating feature. Disable it. • Server: Set it to manual or disable it if you are not on network. • Smart Card: Disable it if you don’t use smart cards on your computer. • SSDP Discovery Service: Disable it of not on network or don’t have UPnP devices on home networks. • Task Scheduler: Disable it if you don’t schedule tasks like defragmentation, error scans etc… and plan to do it your self instead. • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: Set it to manual if on network, otherwise disable it. • Telnet: Set it to manual if you use this feature, otherwise disable it, especially if you are home users. • Terminal Services: Since you aren’t using Remote Desktop etc… disable it for good. • Uninterrupted Power Supply: Disable it if you don’t have an UPS attached to the serial port of your computer. • Universal Plug and Play Device Host: Set it to manual. • User Privilege Service: Set it to manual. • Volume Shadow Copy: Disable it if you don’t backup using System Restore or Windows Backup. • Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS): Disable this if you have another firewall such as Norton or Zone Alarm installed, otherwise let it remain ON for better security. • Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) : If you don’t connect/use a camera/scanner with your computer, disable this service, else set it to manual. • Windows Media Connect: Disable this if you don’t use things such as an iPod etc… for your Windows Media Player. • Windows Media Connect (WMC) Helper: Disable this if you disabled the one above or if you don’t need help. • Windows Time: Disable if not on a synchronized network. • Wireless Zero Configuration: Disable if not on a wireless network. • WMI Performance Adapters: Disable it, useless service for basic usage. • Workstation: Disable if you aren’t on a network. Or simply, if you are a gamer, just shut this one. • Notes: 1. To enter service manager, go to Start > Run > Type services.msc and hit enter.2. To toggle the startup type of a service between Automatic, Manual and Disabled, double-click on the required service and choose the specific option from the listbox titled ‘Startup Type’ in the General tab.3. If you are unsure about a service or for some reason, think it's important, leave it alone or turn it to manual instead of disabling. It will help protect from damage.4. Completely mastering service management is a task possible only by trial and error.5. There are risks involved in turning down important services, better read the description before attempting to change a service’s startup type.I hope I have been clear enough for you to understand what to disable and what not to. Enjoy a faster and healthier computer". OK? D.
Once again d486, I thank you for your competent contribution.

Differences of opinion abound, and don't have to become arguments.
You'll find no argument from me about your postings.:)
______

One other well respected XP resource site is:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Here, the ElderGeek offers the opinion that terminating Services will gain the average user little.

Frankly, I don't recommend you change any of the services from the default installation of XP. Yes, you may pick up a tiny performance gain by fiddling with the settings, but it won't be anything substantial. It's just my opinion, but if you are in a situation where these gains are necessary to achieve an increased level of system performance, it would be wiser to upgrade the physical system to one that is adequate to benefit from the XP operating system.


Of course, then he goes on to make a wide variety of recommendations. :P

Best Regards

P.s. What do I do with my machines, and those I service?
I disable a wide variety of StartUps and Services, for what I believe to be "good security" concerns more than for better machine performance.
Hi Dough……who said it was an argument? ["You did"….."No I didn't"……"Yes you did" ….."Thats' not an argument, that's contradiction" etc etc]

I just edited my last post again with another bit of useful info re msconfig.

And, yep, I doubt if you could gain much in the way of speed by turning off loads of ms services [although if you ain't wireless, why have a procees running for wireless etc?]…….but you can stop a helluva lot of unseen connections via the internet to Msoft and whoever…….

Just have a look at the processes that run with an Nvidia Graphics Card or plain simple On Board Realtek Sound.

One of the biggest users at startup is AntiVirus [Mc…fee is one of the worst]. I gave up Norton, Norman, Bullguard, McAfee and others due to their processes and the CPU hogging[plus some were c…p]. I now only use Avast and it has never failed…..if it does, it has Prevx to contend with [which is a CPU hog at times]

God! I wish I could get this sort of help to sort my problem completely….I just want someone to do it for me, so I can blame them.

I'm fed up now so I'm off for some zzzzzzzzzzzz's

D
Use your [new b]Starter utility to disable the following:

"BCMSMMSG","BCMSMMSG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Modem Messaging Applet (BCM Modem Messaging Applet)","Broadcom Corporation"

"DadApp",""C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","",""
"dla","C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Drive Letter Access Component","Sonic Solutions"

"DVDSentry","C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","DVDSentry (Dell - DVDSentry)","Dell - Advanced Desktop Engineering"
"HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"

"IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"

"LXCGCATS","rundll32
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCGtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16","Registry - Machine Run","1","Timer DLL",""

"MsnMsgr",""C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background","Registry - User Run","1","Messenger","Microsoft Corporation"

"QuickTime Task",""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime","Registry - Machine Run","1","QuickTime Task (QuickTime)","Apple Computer, Inc."

"SM1BG","C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE","Registry - Machine Run","1","Cypress USB Mass Storage Driver Background Application (Cypress USB Mass Storage Adapter)","Cypress Semiconductor"

"SunJavaUpdateSched",""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Java™ Platform SE binary (Java™ Platform SE 6 U1)","Sun Microsystems, Inc."

"SynTPEnh",""C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements (Progressive Touch)","Synaptics, Inc."

"SynTPLpr",""C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","TouchPad Driver Helper Application (Progressive Touch)","Synaptics, Inc."

"UpdateManager",""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r","Registry - Machine Run","1","Sonic Update Manager","Sonic Solutions"

Note: If you find that your Keyboard extras no longer functions the way you would prefer, go ahead and "re-enable" SynTPEnh and SynTPLpr


________________________


Leave the following checkmarked/ticked (running active)

"ANIWZCS2Service","C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","ANIWZCS2 launcher for Windows. (ANIWZCS2 Service Launcher (9x))","Alpha Networks Inc."

"AVG7_CC","C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP","Registry - Machine Run","1","AVG Control Center (AVG Anti-Virus system)","GRISOFT, s.r.o."

"AVG7_Run","C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE","Registry - Def User Run","1","AVG 7.5 Launcher (AVG Anti-Virus system)","GRISOFT, s.r.o."

"D-Link AirPlus G","C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","D-Link Wireless LAN Monitor (Wireless LAN Monitor)","D-Link"

"WinPatrol",""C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","WinPatrol System Monitor ( WinPatrol Monitor)","BillP Studios"
"ZoneAlarm Client",""C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","ZoneAlarm Client","Zone Labs, LLC"


Please Run a Fresh Pit Test and post the Techexpress.

Best Regards
OKay, here's the new PitStop: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=JEYYHW8PG0WSD68W

Sooooo, when I was "disabling" the programs you listed, I terminated the processes, not startups. Then I realized you might have meant startups, so I did those too. Have I screwed up?

About the svchost.ext….?? None of them are really running the cpu load to 100% or anything. One of them is using more memory than the others. I read through your recent discussion with d486, but still wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks!

I terminated the processes, not startups.


You are correct that I intended for you to "disable Programs" in the StartUp(tab) list by "removing" the checkmark from in front of the items as listed in my previous reply, thereby preventing them from starting when you boot/turn on your machine.

Fortunately, "no harm - no foul". When "terminating a process" using CodeStuff Starter, the active components from their Parent-"Program" are removed from active RAM and stopped from having access to CPU resources. The action is the same as using "Task Manager" to stop a Process. Next time the "Program" is run its "Processes" will be loaded into RAM and given assignment to use CPU resources.

Since you went back and repeated the process in the StartUp(tab) by removing the Checkmark, the various items will not be "Run" when you boot your machine next time, but will remain available to be started "manually" or at such time as you may decide to designate them to be loaded automatically at Boot/Startup by replacing the checkmark in front of the item via MSCONFIG.

You did a bit of extra work, but accomplished the intended task.
____________

With regard to svchost.exe, I currently have 5 instances running actively on this machine. It would not be unusual to have a few more or a few less. Four of the instances are claiming a presence in RAM ranging between 1,960kb to 2,114kb, while the fifth is occupying 21,236kb, Again not unusual.

The factor that indicates that an item is actively processing/executing a task is illustrated in % of CPU consumed.
Ordinarily all svchost.exe items will indicate 0% CPU because they are not browsing, executing their function. Occasionally a svchost.exe will "spike" CPU usage, for instance when running an antimalware scan or interacting with a website.

Percent of CPU in use is indicated in the 3rd column in TaskManager, and is indicated in a view box in the lower left-hand corner of CodeStuff Starter.

System Idle Process viewed in TaskManager should most often read 98 - 100%, and will change from that reading only when another loaded process begins processing, accessing, executing.

In TaskManager, are you seeing System Idle Process as around 98-100%?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI