This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

.exe Files Are Now .exe Document Files - Please Help!

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having major problems. None of my programs are working, except my yahoo browser and I can also open my windows task manager. I am unable to download any virus scanners. If I try to download and run - I get error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." If I try to download and save - the only save as type options are ".exe Document" or "All files". After downloading and saving, and choosing to run, I get error msg "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." If all of my program files have changed to document files - that explains why my desktop is full of file icons. I have tried a few online scanners. When trying one - I got a msg that I needed to enable Java Scripting. When I went through the steps to see - it was already enabled. When trying another one - I got Active X errors. Some require IE and of course mine is not working. Does anybody have any ideas? I don't even know where to begin. I can't believe my browser is working - but it is limited. Links don't work, I have no back button, and I get script errors.
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you do this:

Please download Deckard's Association File Tool (DAFT) and save it to your desktop:
  • Double-click the daft.exe icon. Read the disclaimer and click OK.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • If it finds faulty file associations, they will appear in red beside a checkbox. If this occurs, just place a tick in the boxes in question.
  • Click the Fix button.
  • Re-scan and save a logfile. By default, it will save as daft.txt.

Post the contents of that logfile with your next post
.
Thank you so much for responding. Only problem is I can't run it. When I try I get msg "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel." And to top it off - I can not open my control panel.
Are you running XP? Have you tried System Restore? 1. Click Start. 2. Point to All Programs. 3. Point to Accessories. 4. Point to System Tools. 5. Click System Restore. 6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. See if you can find a date the the PC worked. If that doesn't work, do you have your windows XP CD?
I purchased computer from Best Buy - it was all set up for me - would I have gotten the disk? My son doesn't think we have one. I looked - found papers and other things when I purchased computer, but no Windows XP disk.
No, they wouldn't have included the cd.

Please go HERE and do a online scan.


Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes,the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish,so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.

Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply
Well - tried it - but when I hit the start scanning button - after a few minutes I got an IE Script Error: "An Error has occurred in the script on this page. Server execution failed." My IE is not working that is the supported web browser for this scan. I also just tried downloading the latest version of IE - but it didnt work.
1. Double click My Computer icon to open it.
2. Click Tools> Folder Options> File Types> New
3. In the open window (file extenion) type in exe
4. Click Advanced> in Associated File Type, you want Application.
I can't open any folders. My desktop is full of "file" icons. The icons that are folders - when I click on them nothing happens. I can search thru my directory when I use the , but nothing else works.
Try these. 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 2. Double-click Display, click the Desktop tab, and then click Customize Desktop. 3. Select Restore Defaults 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 2. Double-click Display, click the Desktop tab, and then click Customize Desktop. then click the web tab, then under the web pages to display on your desktop if it has "security" you uncheck this and delete 1. Right Click on a open spot on the desktop: 2. Double-click Display, click the Desktop tab, and then click Customize Desktop. 3. Select Restore Defaults
Please go to Task Manager > File > Run and and type copy/paste in this line:

regedit.exe /e c:\export.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe"

Then hit enter.

Then use Notepad to go to c:\export.txt

If you cannot find the file, please let me know that fact.

Paste the results here.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI