This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help! Pc Running Very Slow/lots Of Popups From Ie

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Here's another thing I want you to do.

Open notepad and copy and paste next bold in it:

regedit /e startup.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg"
start notepad startup.txt


Save this as look.bat , choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
This is how the batch must look after you created it: [external image: Posted Image]
Doubleclick on look.bat and post the contents of it in your next reply
here you go…. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\WoW RunTime] "key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run" "item"="hippd" "hkey"="HKLM" "command"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hippd.exe" "inimapping"="0"
Did you uncheck items in msconfig?


Download Avenger by Swandog, and unzip it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it. (Do not run it yet).
http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/avenger.zip

Note: The Avenger must be run from a user account with administrator privileges,

and ONLY works on Windows 2000 and XP, and only on 32-bit versions!



Open a Notepad file by clicking Start > Run and typing Notepad.exe in the box, click OK.

Click Format, and ensure Word Wrap is unchecked.

Copy and Paste all the text inside the box below into Notepad.

Now save the file as RemoveFiles.txt in a location where you can find it.


Files to delete:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hippd.exe


Start Avenger by double clicking on Avenger.exe.

Check Load script from file:

Click on the folder symbol below and to the right, and browse to RemoveFiles.txt.

Double click it to enter it into Avenger.

Click the green traffic light symbol.

You will be asked if you want to execute the script, answer Yes.

At this point you may get prompts from your protection systems, allow them please.

Avenger will set itself up to run the next time you re-boot, and will prompt you to re-start immediately.

Answer Yes, and allow your computer to re-boot.

Upon re-boot a command window will briefly appear on screen (this is normal).

A Notepad text file will be created C:\avenger.txt.

Copy and Paste it into your next post please, along with a new HJT log.
I ran the avenger tool but it didnt work, I got an error message: ////////////////////////////////////////// Avenger Pre-Processor log ////////////////////////////////////////// Error: could not create zip file. Error code: 1813 This occurred after clicking on the traffic light. I tried it again and the same thing happened. You had me run this once before and I didnt have a problem.
Oh, in msconfig, I was trying different start ups to see if it would make a difference, forgot to return it to normal start up…

Oh, in msconfig, I was trying different start ups to see if it would make a difference, forgot to return it to normal start up…

1. Delete avenger and download it again. 2. Put a check in everything in msconfig stsrtup.
3. reboot in normal if possible. Eitherway post a new HJT log.
Hi, Just got my computer back. I had to have it fixed. I appreciate all your time and effort but I couldn't be without it any longer. I guess it had many viruses as I was told. Now it is like new. Again, thanks. You guys are doing a great service!!!! Mary
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI