This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Programs Open Slowly Then Work Fine

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

We have a new computer (E6600, Windows XP, 2 Gigs RAM) that we were loading programs too in mass quantity when something happened (and I don't know what or when) that "pauses" the computer for up to 8 seconds (the time varies though) before it opens. Once it opens everything works great but the waiting is annoying! Following is my hijackthis log. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:22:37 PM, on 4/21/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
I:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
I:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
I:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
I:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
I:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
H:\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
I:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
I:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
I:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
I:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
I:\DOCUME~1\Scott\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for startuplist[1].zip\StartupList.exe
I:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
I:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
H:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
I:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\agent.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - H:\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE I:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] I:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE I:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] H:\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "H:\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] I:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "I:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - I:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1174335470500
O16 - DPF: {74C861A1-D548-4916-BC8A-FDE92EDFF62C} - http://mediaplayer.walmart.com/installer/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - H:\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - H:\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - I:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - I:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - I:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - (no file)
O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - H:\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - I:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - I:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - I:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
Scottbot,

Welcome to Tom Coyote, sorry for the delay but the logs are many and us volunteers are few..

Your log is free of any malware or viruses. This may be a windows or software problem from installing so many programs. This forum is for the removal of Malware and Viruses only so I am going to suggest some windows support sites that deal with windows problems.

Windows Tech Support Forums It's Not Always MalwareSpeedup Windows Windows Tips


How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
  • Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
  • Tom Coyote
  • TonyKlein CastleCops
  • Grinler BleepingComputer
  • Geeks To Go
  • Dslreports



Here are some free programs to install, don't leave home without them
  • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
    Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.
  • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
  • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
  • IE-Spyad
    IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
  • Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote , I'm glad I was able to help you. :D
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI