When I plug it in, windows detects it and everything.
The only problem is when I go to 'My Computer,' it does not show up on the list.
I am pretty stupid when it comes to computers, so any suggestions are appreciated.
Is this the first time you've used this External Hard Drive with your present machine?
If so, you may have to use the CD that came with the External Hard Drive to install a modification to your USB Controllers.
What "Brand Name" is the External Hard Drive?
Most brands provide website support, including Operating Manual and Driver Downloads (in case you didn't receive a CD when you acquired this External Hard Drive.
Can we assume that the machine to which you are attaching this External Hard Drive, is running Windows XP?
_________
I have a BeyondMicro branded External Hard Drive that I'm very happy with, but it gave me fits during the installation.
I had kinda thought that I would just plug it in, my machine would instantly recognize it, and I could begin using it. Not so.
Walk through the Operation Manual guide for installing, including installing any Drivers.
If the External has not been Formated, you will need to format it and create any partitions you desire.
Th Operation Manual will then give you instructions for using Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management to allow your machine to recognize the External Hard Drive and assign a Drive letter to it.
_________
I realize I have not given you any instructions of "How-To" make it work.
But using the Operation Manual "probably" has all the steps.
Please provide specific information about where you are getting stuck, if you still have problems after consulting the Operation Manual.
Best Regards
The box just came with the drive alone, and said if I run it on XP it should install immediately.
When I plug it in, it makes those beeping noises (indicating that Windows detected it).
The first time I plugged it in, a bunch of bubbles at the corner came up and said something like "your new hardware is installed and ready to use"
It doesn't show up on My Computer, though
Also, it's called, "Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB Device"
Specifications and Features:
No drivers required*
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified for fast data transfer (compatible with USB 1.1)
Transfer, share and store all your data, pictures, music and more
Thin design will not obstruct dual-stacked USB ports found on many computers
Free! Includes CruzerLock™ 2 data security software*, and trial versions of PocketCache™ (back-up)* and CruzerSync™ (Outlook and My Documents folder synchronization) software*
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 certified (backwards compatible with all USB 1.1 ports)
*For Windows only. No security measures are fail proof.
Minimum System Requirements:
Pentium PC or Macintosh computer with USB support
Windows 2000, ME, XP
Mac OS 9.1.x+, OS X v10.1.2+
USB 2.0 port required for Hi-Speed transfer
My computer fits all those requirements
I'm thinking it it there, but that it is easy to "overlook".
So I got an "el-cheapo brand Walmart USB thumb drive stick" and plugged it into a USB port on this machine to see what happened.
Sure enough, the "bubbles" appeared as you wrote above, indicating that the USB stick had been found and that it had been properly installed, etc.
Then I opened my My Computer to see where it was listed.
Here's a screen-shot of My Computer, so you can see where mine appears.
I'll bet yours is there, but that you just didn't notice it for what it is.
Hope the pic helps.
Best Regards
Take a look in Control Panel - Administrative Services - Computer Management - Disk Manageent
The USB Stick will probably appear without a Drive Letter.
Use Actions - All Tasks - Change Drive Letter from the Command bar at the top of Computer Management Panel.
Best Regards
I set a letter to it, and now I can access it from the list.
This is an inconvinient way to access it, but I am still happy that I can access it now
Thank you
Ok actually, I set it to E a couple of minutes ago.
I tried unplugging it and re-plugging it to make sure that method still worked.
I have to assign it a new letter from the list, and E is gone.
This is a problem, I believe, since there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and some of the letters in the list are gone
The "letters that are gone" are probably A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, on most computers. (yours may be "slightly" different)
These "drive letter assignments" are "reserved" by a process called "mapping" whereby the Operating System sets aside the "most likely" drive letter assignments to be used by the Master Hard Drive (and partitions), the Slave Hard Drive (and partitions), the Floppy Drive, and Optical Drives.
As a result, when the owner/user inserts a "removalble storage drive" (your Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB Device), the Operating System "recognizes the new drive, and attempts to assign it to one of those "most likely" Drive Letters as above.
This process can set up "conflicts" if the owner/user has multiple Hard Drives or multiple Partitions, plus the usual Floppy and CD/DVD optical drives, that have already taken the Drive Letter that is being assigned to the new removalble storage device.
_____
Possible Solution:
In Disk Management, consider "change Drive Letter assignment" for your removable storage.
Consider assigning a Drive Letter somewhere in the middle of the alphabet – like M:\
It is very unlikely that the Operating System has already mapped Drive Letters way up to the 18th letter of the alphabet.
Therefore there will not likely be any conflicts, and your Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB Device will continue to be recognized and displayed in My Computer as M:\, without having to re-assign a Drive Letter each time you plug it in.
Best Regards
EDIT: Don't decide to use x,y, or z, because this can cause some unrelated conflict problems when adding new Hard Drives or Optical Drive. (to much to explain here, but you'll be OK if you avoid Drive letter options at the very end of the alphabet. Stick with M:\ and you'll be fine)
Hi,
It looks as though you need to do some detective work here to get to the bottom of this.
To narrow down the problem try the following steps.
1 Close down your machine in the normal way, wait 30 seconds.
2 Making sure that your flash drive is NOT inserted in your machine, restart your machine
3 Wait 4 minutes
4 Insert your Flash drive directly into a USB slot in the back of your computer( not via a hub or extension. cable)
5 Wait one minute
6 Go to My Computer ( Can you see the Flash Drive) it may be called something like "Removable" or just have a letter like g
7 If still no luck, then you will need to repeat the procedure with each of the other USB ports on your computer until you find one that works!
8 If still no luck try every other port on the computer (following the above procedure) including any Front or side USB ports.
9 If after this you still cannot get the Flash Drive recognised then its time to:
10 Ask each one of your chums to try the Flash Drive in their computers and see what happens, if their machine can see the drive and use it you have at least established where the fault is.
11 If their machines don't recognise the drive either then its time to take it back to the shop. distributor/service Agent for a refund or advice on how to format the Flash Drive.
NOTE Flash Drives are only auto recognised on Windows computers running either Win 2000 or XP operating systems, any earlier versions will need system specific drivers that may be available from the Flash Drive 's manufacturer.
Regards
paws
Okay, I was bored so I made a new user on this computer to see what would happen.
All of the letters I had assigned the drive to come up as blank hard drives in 'My Computer' when I am logged on as another user.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI