For about 6 weeks i have been trying to get to the bottom of computer problems including:
* Not being able to use pathping command without getting "no resources" on the first hop where all then stops
* Packet loss (as much as 18%) and a slow and eratic connection that was affecting my on-line gaming
Someone yesterday on a different forum suggested software firewall could be causing the pathping problems. I had previously tried turning off the firewall but with no joy. They suggested booting into "safe mode with networking". Trying this suggestion enabled me to pathping (sort of as the pathping terminated at the third hop thanks to my Thompson 780 router eating everything there after). To ensure that the firewall was not the problem I today uninstalled the software and rebooted. Sadly still unable to pathping…
My ISP has been insisting that i have a virus/malware and I (being anal on this subject!) was not so sure:
* I run (but not today see above) ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 and update the virus/malware ID files daily
* I have the system set to do a full virus scan every night
* at a minimum I scan with an up to date Adaware weekly
* at a minimum I scan with an up to date Spybot weekly
* I try to only use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
* at a minimum I check for M$ updates weekly on all products installed (auto-update is turned off on all products so they too don't effect my gaming)
* at a minimum I run diskclean and defrag weekly
* I run CCleaner monthly
I have been seeking help for these problems via several different forums and via my ISP (Be Unlimited) and only today remembered HiJackThis… silly me
My system is a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 2.80 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HD (75% empty), Radeon X800 XT, Creative SB Audigy 2, Broadcom NetXtreme 57 XX gigabit controller etc
I have just started to use Ethereal packet sniffer as well…
Even though I uninstalled ZA today I think see from the HJT log that it appears that some ZA is still running?
I followed all of the instructions on your sticky posts to create the HiJackThis log below.
Logfile of Trend Micro HiJackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 10:16:06, on 23/03/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\mom.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Razer\DeathAdder\razerhid.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Razer\DeathAdder\razertra.exe
C:\Program Files\Razer\DeathAdder\razerofa.exe
C:\HJT\HiJackThis_v2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.co.uk/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dad/My%20Documents/Our%20Home%20Page.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://10.0.0.2/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WsftpBrowserHelper Class - {601ED020-FB6C-11D3-87D8-0050DA59922B} - C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Home\wsbho2k0.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SM1BG] C:\WINDOWS\SM1BG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeathAdder] C:\Program Files\Razer\DeathAdder\razerhid.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://ati.amd.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ati.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.ati.de
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ati.de.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://sib1.od2.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.roxio.co.uk
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.roxio.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://applicationshop.sonyericsson.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.sonyericsson.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://metaservices.windowsmedia.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsmedia.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://download.windowsupdate.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15026/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1121176565103
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1162059958671
O16 - DPF: {90A29DA5-D020-4B18-8660-6689520C7CD7} (DmiReader Class) - http://support.euro.dell.com/global/apps/s…er/PROFILER.CAB
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://217.155.139.109/AxisCamControl.ocx
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/hpdj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?326
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15028/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{5728D993-3448-4B0A-8F5D-8B565F1433F9}: NameServer = 213.208.106.212,213.208.106.213
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8CAF742B-B11F-4A0C-AFAF-E50CEBA45042}: NameServer = 87.194.0.51,87.194.0.66
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: IAA Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
–
End of file - 8974 bytes
So is my ISP right and I have an infected computer? Or can you spot another problem?
Any help gratefully received!
Thanks in anticipation for the help?