Dawgnu
Topic Starter
Software
Sudden black screen
34 min read
Doug
Check your Boot Sequence in BIOS/CMOS
The Order of Boot Devices should be:
1. Floppy Disk Drive <— (If you don't have a Floppy Drive, that's OK, and it won't appear here)
2. CD/ Removable Disk Drive <— Some/many machines have IDE Hard Drive as 2nd (OK, User Choice)
3. IDE (or your Hard Disk Drive <— Some/many machines have IDE Hard Drive as 2nd (OK, User Choice)
Any item that refers to Boot to Network or Boot to PCMCIA should only appear at the end of the list
(unless you have deliberately set your machine to Boot To Network or Wake on LAN)
_____________
Is your Machine a Laptop with a Removalble 10/100 Ethernet PCMCIA Card?
Does this machine connect Wirelessly to the internet?
Best Regards
Dawgnu
Thanks for the quick response. I am not all that experienced with computers. I am not sure I understand where to go and look for what you have asked.
I rebooted and pressed the f8. A screen popped up saying select first boot device
They were listed as follows: Floppy
Usb RMD-FDD
IDE
CD/DVD
BBS-0
Now I only looked, I did nothing at all because I have this feeling I was not where I was suppose to be.
This is a desktop computer which is hooked up to a wired router connecting to my 2nd computer.
I connect via DSL.
During the time I signed in to this site tonite it happened again twice. I went to start typing and without warning I was staring at a black screen and rebooting. I have to kill the power and repower up again or I continued watching the screen stuck flipping info I provided in my 1st post. That makes it 3 times today when normally it only happens once in the same day.
Not sure if this has anything to do with my current problem but when browing around my computer I happened to come across "event viewer" in adminstration tools, I clicked on that and found errors etc and looked at the properties. It recommended I backed up my data because of possible hard drive failure.
Could this be my current problem??
paws
Hi,
Whilst waiting for Dough or others on this forum to get back to you. Please take the recommendation (to back up data) you have been given and make sure that your backup/archive of all important data, (including letters, documents music and photos) your emails and settings, address book. favourites, drivers and the like are 100% up to date and the data reproducible. If you can take a disc image using an application like Ghost, Paragon, Drive Image, Acronis or similar, do so, and it would be best to save the image to removable media and not to a different partition on your hard drive.
It is by no means certain that your hard drive is about to die, but if it does you need to be prepared. Apart from doing the above you should not use your computer unnecessarily, as if your hard drive is about to expire, then using and rebooting will expedite the process. It would be sensible to make sure you can easily locate all your application's installation discs, (including Windows XP) and you have a record of your Windows XP and any other Application's product keys just in case.
Regards
paws
Doug
Hi Dawgnu,
Thanks – to Paws, whose safety consciousness is always appreciated!
Dawgnu - I don't think we have all the information clear, as yet.
And the "actual solution" will probably be "simple" but the information gathering and trouble-shooting is likely to be "maddening", since many factors "could" be contributing to the cause.
______________
A few Questions:
1. Does this machine have both one IDE Hard Drive, and two additional Hard Drive configured in RAID-0 ?
2. Has this machine previously been used in a Network? For instance, did it used to belong to a company that sold or gave it to you, and it had previously been setup in a Network of other machines?
3. If you do have a single HD, and a RAID array, do you know where your Operating System is installed? on the single HD, or on the RAID array?
4. Have you recently replaced the MotherBoard Chipset Battery? And if not, do you know what I'm referring to. (Shiny silver disk between the size of a nickel and quarter, laying flat on the MotherBoard.)
5. In BIOS/CMOS SETUP, have you tried setting all values to "Default"?
6. I'm presuming that this machine "was" working just fine, and then something started going wrong.
Did you add any software or hardware at or around the time that the problems started happening?
7. Since this is a Desktop, it is highly unlikely that it has suffered any physical trauma from moving it around, the way Laptops sometimes develop problems from being shaken or dropped. But has it received any "rough treatement", that could have dislodged any of your IDE connectors, PCI Cards, RAM Sticks?
8. Have you had the Tower Case opened to clean out the dust-bunnies, and check that all of the connectors are firmly seated?
****Let us know if you need information about "static safety", etc. when working inside of the case.****
9. Is there any difference when you have your USB Zip Drive physically disconnected from the machine?
____________
A few of the mores simple things you can try:
Paws is Right - Consider doing whatever you need to do to backup valuable data and files prior to making much in the way of changes to the machine or following recommended trouble-shooting steps.
1. Clean out the dust-bunnies and check all the PCI cards and RAM sticks to make sure they are firmly seated in their slots. Also check the IDE and power-supply connectors to confirm that they are all firmly connected. (since this is an "intermittent" problem, I'm very suspicious of possible card seating and cable, ribbon connector firm connection)
2. Change the CMOS Battery on the MotherBoard. (Costs about $2.50 at most electronic/office stores)
3. Run your machine is SAFE Mode for a little while, opening various applications or exploring around in Windows Explorer (don't access the Internet while in SAFE Mode) to see if the problem also occurs in SAFE Mode, or just in Normal Mode.
4. (Regarding possible Hard Drive problems) It may not be that the Hard Drive is failing (or maybe it is, but we don't have enough information yet to make any conclusions).
But you "can" Run CHECKDISK, from START - RUN - (type)CHKDSK /f /r - Enter
CHKDSK will "warn" you that it cannot run, and then ask if you want to run CHKDSK when you Re-boot.
Answer Affirmative/yes/allow and then Re-Boot to allow CHKDSK to start the scan.
CHKDSK will probably take about 30 minutes for its complete scan (maybe longer for larger drive)
And maybe longer if CHKDSK identifies "bad-sectors" and has to move various files to good locations.
Run CHKDSK multiple times, until CHKDSK completes its entire scan without finding any errors.
Then Run System File Checker, from START - RUN - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter
5. You may "get nowhere" until you change the Boot Order in BIOS/CMOS SETUP.
Here's the most likely "Order" that I would recommend:
1st. Floppy
2nd. CD/DVD
3rd. IDE
4th. BBS-0 <————- Or let us know if you have the option to "disable" this item completely.
5th. USB RMD-FDD
While in SETUP, explore around a bit to see if there are any Settings to "Boot from LAN" or "Awake on LAN"
Don't make any changes until you're sure what to do with BIOS/CMOS Settings, or ask more questions here in this Forum.
______________
6. Go into your Device Manager (Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager) to see if there are any red or yellow warnings indicating corrupted Drivers.
7. If you know that you "do" have a RAID-0 array on this machine, consider putting a "Bootable CD" (like the MS Office installation CD) into the CD/DVD drive. Then Re-boot. If the MS Office CD Display screen comes up, just close it out, But leave the CD in the Drive. Does this make any difference in the incidence of problems of Black Screen that you've been having?
Keep us informed with your progress and hopefully some answers to the above inquiries.
Best Regards
Thanks – to Paws, whose safety consciousness is always appreciated!
Dawgnu - I don't think we have all the information clear, as yet.
And the "actual solution" will probably be "simple" but the information gathering and trouble-shooting is likely to be "maddening", since many factors "could" be contributing to the cause.
______________
A few Questions:
1. Does this machine have both one IDE Hard Drive, and two additional Hard Drive configured in RAID-0 ?
2. Has this machine previously been used in a Network? For instance, did it used to belong to a company that sold or gave it to you, and it had previously been setup in a Network of other machines?
3. If you do have a single HD, and a RAID array, do you know where your Operating System is installed? on the single HD, or on the RAID array?
4. Have you recently replaced the MotherBoard Chipset Battery? And if not, do you know what I'm referring to. (Shiny silver disk between the size of a nickel and quarter, laying flat on the MotherBoard.)
5. In BIOS/CMOS SETUP, have you tried setting all values to "Default"?
6. I'm presuming that this machine "was" working just fine, and then something started going wrong.
Did you add any software or hardware at or around the time that the problems started happening?
7. Since this is a Desktop, it is highly unlikely that it has suffered any physical trauma from moving it around, the way Laptops sometimes develop problems from being shaken or dropped. But has it received any "rough treatement", that could have dislodged any of your IDE connectors, PCI Cards, RAM Sticks?
8. Have you had the Tower Case opened to clean out the dust-bunnies, and check that all of the connectors are firmly seated?
****Let us know if you need information about "static safety", etc. when working inside of the case.****
9. Is there any difference when you have your USB Zip Drive physically disconnected from the machine?
____________
A few of the mores simple things you can try:
Paws is Right - Consider doing whatever you need to do to backup valuable data and files prior to making much in the way of changes to the machine or following recommended trouble-shooting steps.
1. Clean out the dust-bunnies and check all the PCI cards and RAM sticks to make sure they are firmly seated in their slots. Also check the IDE and power-supply connectors to confirm that they are all firmly connected. (since this is an "intermittent" problem, I'm very suspicious of possible card seating and cable, ribbon connector firm connection)
2. Change the CMOS Battery on the MotherBoard. (Costs about $2.50 at most electronic/office stores)
3. Run your machine is SAFE Mode for a little while, opening various applications or exploring around in Windows Explorer (don't access the Internet while in SAFE Mode) to see if the problem also occurs in SAFE Mode, or just in Normal Mode.
4. (Regarding possible Hard Drive problems) It may not be that the Hard Drive is failing (or maybe it is, but we don't have enough information yet to make any conclusions).
But you "can" Run CHECKDISK, from START - RUN - (type)CHKDSK /f /r - Enter
CHKDSK will "warn" you that it cannot run, and then ask if you want to run CHKDSK when you Re-boot.
Answer Affirmative/yes/allow and then Re-Boot to allow CHKDSK to start the scan.
CHKDSK will probably take about 30 minutes for its complete scan (maybe longer for larger drive)
And maybe longer if CHKDSK identifies "bad-sectors" and has to move various files to good locations.
Run CHKDSK multiple times, until CHKDSK completes its entire scan without finding any errors.
Then Run System File Checker, from START - RUN - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter
5. You may "get nowhere" until you change the Boot Order in BIOS/CMOS SETUP.
Here's the most likely "Order" that I would recommend:
1st. Floppy
2nd. CD/DVD
3rd. IDE
4th. BBS-0 <————- Or let us know if you have the option to "disable" this item completely.
5th. USB RMD-FDD
While in SETUP, explore around a bit to see if there are any Settings to "Boot from LAN" or "Awake on LAN"
Don't make any changes until you're sure what to do with BIOS/CMOS Settings, or ask more questions here in this Forum.
______________
6. Go into your Device Manager (Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager) to see if there are any red or yellow warnings indicating corrupted Drivers.
7. If you know that you "do" have a RAID-0 array on this machine, consider putting a "Bootable CD" (like the MS Office installation CD) into the CD/DVD drive. Then Re-boot. If the MS Office CD Display screen comes up, just close it out, But leave the CD in the Drive. Does this make any difference in the incidence of problems of Black Screen that you've been having?
Keep us informed with your progress and hopefully some answers to the above inquiries.
Best Regards
Dawgnu
Ok, all I know is I have 1 floppy, 1 hard drive, 1 cd write and 1 zip drive. Have no clue what Raid-O is??
This comp was built for me approx. 3 yrs ago. I have a 2nd computer that shares the DSL connection, my networking and a printer.
No idea what Raid Array is??
Never changed the battery but I will. I know where it is and have replaced them in past computers.
Not sure where to find the bios/cmos setup?? I might of after taking the battery out to find out the # so I can replace it, changed the bios/cmos to default after rebooting. Had a slight problem that requried me to reboot.
I do not remember adding anything when the problem first started, I have since then added and removed programs.
Tower is in a cabinet, no need for movements so it is not banged around.
I throughly cleaned inside the tower. Cleaned real well around the fan too.
I have never disconnected the zip drive since I installed it, just left it plugged in. Although now after what I have been doing tonite it for some reason is no longer install. I left it that way for the time being.
I have spent the past 2 days backing everything up. I thought I might have to reformat because of all the recent worms and virus's. I believe that is all cleared up now.
I have run Chkdsk approx 3 times this past week. A window had popped up the other night saying an AOL file was corrupt. Chkdsk found and fixed the problem.
I ran the sfc /scannow as you suggested. A window pops up saying: files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. It then asks for the Win XP disk which I put in but haven't a clue what I am to do next. I stopped because I have no idea how to proceed.
Not sure if this is what you were talking about earlier but I did manage to stumble across Ambios Setup-Advanced Setup. 1st boot - Floppy 2nd boot - IDE 3rd boot- Cd/Dvd
I did not change a thing, only looked. I really am not that experienced, I would need instructions on where/how to find some things you are asking for.
paws
Hi,
Dough has asked me to drop by as he is going to be tied up for a while.
Well done on making sure that your back up/archive of all your important stuff is 100% complete.
So many folks let their back up get out of date, or forget to include really important stuff and when disaster strikes they are in a bad or impossible situation.
Dough will be able to give you detailed instructions on any changes to your BIOS so please hold fire on that pro tem.
When you ran the Windows System File Checker (SFC /scannow) without the brackets, the fact that Windows asked you to insert your WinXP installation disc is significant, in that it generally means that Windows protected system files are damaged, missing or in the wrong place in your computer.
To remedy this run sfc again and when Windows asks for your disc insert your Windows XP SP2 installation disc.
NOTE: A manufacturers restore disc is NOT used for this procedure.
Click on OK and observe the progress of the sfc scan, it should not take longer than 20 minutes or so to run.
Reboot and report back if any difference is noticed.
Regards
paws
Dawgnu
Hi, I have looked everywhere for the Windows XP SP2 disk. If memory serves me right I downloaded that directly from the Microsoft website. I do not have any such disks. I went to where I had the SP2 downloaded to and copied it to my zip disk. I tried using that when prompt, it won't take that either and another window pops up saying insert Windows XP Home Edition CD.
Doug
Got your Windows XP Home Edition CD? — Pop it in.
It will probably function just fine, as the XP SP2 files that you say you downloaded will be cached in i386 and dllcache, where SFC will also look if the needed file is not located on your XP Home CD.
Don't have a Windows XP Home Edition CD?
Never had one? Can't find the one you did have? – No problem, borrow one. It will work if it is Windows XP Home Edition CD. (SFC does not require Product Identification Number to be entered, but you have one printed on the "sticker" attached to the outside of your Tower Case, just in case you do need it.)
___________
None of the above help or work for you?
You can "do it the hard way" if necessary.
Read at this site:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Best Regards
It will probably function just fine, as the XP SP2 files that you say you downloaded will be cached in i386 and dllcache, where SFC will also look if the needed file is not located on your XP Home CD.
Don't have a Windows XP Home Edition CD?
Never had one? Can't find the one you did have? – No problem, borrow one. It will work if it is Windows XP Home Edition CD. (SFC does not require Product Identification Number to be entered, but you have one printed on the "sticker" attached to the outside of your Tower Case, just in case you do need it.)
___________
None of the above help or work for you?
You can "do it the hard way" if necessary.
Read at this site:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Best Regards
Dawgnu
Hi, I have my own Windows XP disk. I have inserted it when prompted and it keeps saying it is not the correct cd. I have followed your instructions on my computer, tools, folder options, view and unchecking hidden files. It was already "unchecked".
I viewed that link you supplied and find the I386 folder on my windows cd but have no clue on where the system root is located for me to place a copy in there as instructed. So this is where I am stuck at the moment.
Doug
Hi Dawgnu,
When you put your Windows XP Home Edition into your CD Drive slot, does it begin spinning, and eventually bring up the Window XP Installation Option Screen.
If it does you can just close it out, and continue with SFC.
I ask because "if it doesn't", that situation could indicate that your CD ROM Drive is not being Recognized by Windows.
You would therefore need to go to Device Manager - CD ROM Drives - Double-Click to view Drivers installed
If there is a yellow or red warning at that location, then Remove the Driver and allow Windows to Reboot.
________
If the above doesn't apply to you, then – on to the "linked article" about SFC and where to put the contents of Folder i386.
Create a new folder - C:\New Folder, and name it as follows: C:\i386
Now copy the contents of the i386 folder on your XP CD, into your new folder - C:\i386
You'll have to precisely follow the instructions for modifying an item in your Registry so that SFC knows where to look to find your new C:\i386
If you're not up to the task, you don't have to push yourself beyond what you're comfortable doing.
These are just suggestions for possible "fix".
You may want to get some help "in person" at your location or ask a local repair shop to help you out.
Whatever you decide, there will be resourceful folks here at TomCoyote to reply to your questions.
Best Regards
Dawgnu
Hi, WOW FINALLY, I have succeeded in running the sfc/ scannow. It only took me approx 6 tries before I could run the scan completely. The programs continued to stop responding after the scan would get so far. I had to close everything out and reboot each time.
I followed the instructions you posted in your last response for that link. I changed the registry as instructed, the source path to the C:\ so I would not be asked for my Windows CD, well during the entire sfc/ scan it kept asking for the disk. Not sure why that did not do what it was suppose to? I went back just now and rechecked to make sure it shows that the path is still the C:\ and it is.
I never can tell when my original trouble will happen, but as of the last time I posted to you that it did happen, that was the last time. With any luck what you have instructed me to do will of solved my problem.
I will check back again later to see if you have any further instructions.
Doug
Hi Dawgnu,
Glad you got it sorted.
Yes, please do post back after a period of time, whether with continued freedom from the annoying problem, or with additional questions.
We can all learn when Members share both their problem-solving efforts, and their successes.
Best Regards,
Doug
Dawgnu
Hi,
Happy to say so far no more blank screens. However, couple of days ago when I turned the computer on a window popped up saying it found new hardware. Says it found my modem. I have no idea how that was suddenly found when it has been there the entire time. When I went to modems, my modem was no longer listed. I had to put the disk in it came with and took several tries before it would pick up the missing info. The other problems I have noticed is when I attempt to open an AOL game to play, as it loads, AOL stops responding. I have to do ctrl/alt/del and start over again. When I do that everything is fine. Other than since I did the fix you recommended my computer seems to be slower at times.
I continually empty out the temp files, etc and I will be doing another defrag to see if that helps any.
Happy to say so far no more blank screens. However, couple of days ago when I turned the computer on a window popped up saying it found new hardware. Says it found my modem. I have no idea how that was suddenly found when it has been there the entire time. When I went to modems, my modem was no longer listed. I had to put the disk in it came with and took several tries before it would pick up the missing info. The other problems I have noticed is when I attempt to open an AOL game to play, as it loads, AOL stops responding. I have to do ctrl/alt/del and start over again. When I do that everything is fine. Other than since I did the fix you recommended my computer seems to be slower at times.
I continually empty out the temp files, etc and I will be doing another defrag to see if that helps any.
Doug
It is a good idea to frequently clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.
However, Windows/IE/FireFox/Opera saves these to make loading of Web Pages faster (so they don't have to download various images when browsing to a page that you've been to before)
Which Browser(s) do you ordinarily use?
What method or utility are you using to clean out your temporary internet files?
If you are also clearing your Prefetch folder, your machine "will" run slower until the Prefetch folder gets populated again through the ordinary useage of your various applications.
Please go to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Run the Full Tests
Post your TechExpress Link back into this thread.
Maybe we can spot something that has contributed to the slowing that you notice.
Very glad to hear that you are generally having continued success.
Best Regards
However, Windows/IE/FireFox/Opera saves these to make loading of Web Pages faster (so they don't have to download various images when browsing to a page that you've been to before)
Which Browser(s) do you ordinarily use?
What method or utility are you using to clean out your temporary internet files?
If you are also clearing your Prefetch folder, your machine "will" run slower until the Prefetch folder gets populated again through the ordinary useage of your various applications.
Please go to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Run the Full Tests
Post your TechExpress Link back into this thread.
Maybe we can spot something that has contributed to the slowing that you notice.
Very glad to hear that you are generally having continued success.
Best Regards
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI