Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hijack This log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#16 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

The Norton that you had was mainly for anti-virus. There are Norton packages that include the firewall. I just could not tell from the entries whether you had just one firewall or maybe two installed. Therefore I asked you to be sure and test your firewall as a double-check. I would try the f-secure since you said it had an anti-virus and firewall and you can get it free through the university. I would recommend testing the firewall after installing it though as a double-check since you have become very experienced at this ;). I have heard Kapersky and Avast are good. I just installed the free AVAST anti-virus on my daughter's computer.
Posted Image

Proud member of ASAP since 2005

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Come join us in the Class Room and learn how.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 murray11

murray11

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thank you, I am guessing that we are practically finished with this now, I think I will just try and search around maybe visit a couple more forums and see what people think I should do when it comes to using either f-secure package or norton/comodo or one of the others. It sure is nice to run across forums like this where people actually are trying to help you. It was a pleasure dealing with both TomCoyote.org and yourself, you taught me a fair bit.

#18 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

Here you are murray11, the final instructions. :) You taught me some things too. Thanks for being patient!
Good luck at the university!

STEP 1.
======
System Restore for Windows XP
Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)
  • Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.

STEP 2.
======
DON’T BECOME OVERCONFIDENT WITH ANTIVIRUS APPLICATIONS INSTALLED!!!

http://forum.malware...39eba6ea0b5e8ee

Stay up to date on security patches and be extremely wary of clicking on links and attachments that arrive unbidden in instant messages and e-mail.

"The number one thing the majority of the malicious code we're seeing now does is disable or delete anti-virus and other security software," Dunham said. "In a lot of cases, once the user clicks on that attachment, it's already too late."

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit Windows Updates regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.
    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

• More info on how to prevent malware you can also find here (By Tony Klein)
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Susan
Posted Image

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#19 Susan528

Susan528

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoy...showtopic=31418

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php
Posted Image