This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop running very slow. Sound Distorted.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Here is the header of my HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:47:47 PM, on 3/9/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Also, here is my PCPitstop Summary:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary…?conid=17658788

The problem started a few days ago. I powered up my laptop, and it was taking extremely long to open Windows. I assumed that it was frozen, or not responding, so I turned the power off. I turned it back on, and I was asked if I wanted to run in Safe Mode. I ran in safe mode with networking. When I logged in, the welcome sound that I have set to go off was very distorted, which normally never happens. I ended up restarting and patiently waiting about 3 minutes to log into regular mode. I tried playing a few songs in iTunes, and they are all distorted. My machine normally runs very efficiently, so I'm not quite sure what is wrong. I scanned for viruses or adware, and I found nothing. I deleted things from my HD and defragged today, and it's still running slow. The only thing I remember changing on my PC before this happened was an update of iTunes and Quicktime, and I installed a new firmware for my Sony DRX-810UL DVD burner.

I appreciate any advice you might have.
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with your laptop. Before you take any steps at all, please make sure that your back up, or copies, of all important files, settings and anything that is useful to you, is 100% correct and reproducable. When things go wrong, it is best generally to consider reversing or undoing any changes that have been done recently. For example, drivers that have just been updated can be "rolled back" to the previous version, or software recently installed, uninstalled. If this does not help (you must reboot between each action to allow the effects to take place) then you could restore your system to a precious date (when it was working well) To do this: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and follow onscreen directions. This process is generally reversible if it does not help. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI