This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I think I have a Phish problem?

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It is a nasty one. Maybe try a system restore and go back to a date before the infection took place. 1. Click Start. 2. Point to All Programs. 3. Point to Accessories. 4. Point to System Tools. 5. Click System Restore. 6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. See if you can find a date the the PC worked.
last night before I left, the computer was running a panda scan and a cure it scan. I deleted Itunes, Realplayer, and Hijack this from the add/remove programs. If I do a system restore, do I go through windows XP, or through the system restore via compaq? when you first turn the computer on, it says to press F10 to do a system restore. If we do that, will it remove the viruses and trojans? Thanks again for all of your help.

will that make all the viruses, trojans, phish, etc, go away?

It should IF you find a date before the infection.

If it were me, I'd get whatever data files I needed off the infected hard drive. Then I'd reformat it and install windows.

If you do that, don't just re-install windows. You need to format the partition.
Thanks again for all the help. I will try restoring tonight. If it doesn't work, then I guess we will have to do what you have suggested. Thanks again. I will update again if I need more help. :)
I'll keep this one open for a few days. Let me know how it goes. If you reformat, before connecting to the internet, make sure the firewall and anti-virus are working. It only takes a second to get infected.
Good news!!! My dad used smitREM and spybot and it got rid of everything!!! It's running well now. Thanks again for the help. :)
Download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall
LD; My friend who works in IT sent me a link to the adaware from his company. I just finished running a scan and have been playing around in the internet for a bit and so far it seems ok. I am going to give it a couple of hours and see what happens. If it starts up again, i will run the other one that you mentioned.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI