Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My Log, hit with a back door trojan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

Sure.

As you're aware, Firefox (which by the way is my Browser of choice) is configurable by means of plug-ins.

I highly recommend NoScript, which enables you to control the execution of scripts (javascript etc) on a site by site basis.

I've already mentioned McAfee Site Advisor which has a plug-in for Firefox.

You could also try AdBlock Plus not strictly security,but by filtering out adds you remove some re-directed links. Try Filterset G with it, this is a pre-written set of adds that are then blocked by ABP, updated automatically.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 mcg1555

mcg1555

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Sure.

As you're aware, Firefox (which by the way is my Browser of choice) is configurable by means of plug-ins.

I highly recommend NoScript, which enables you to control the execution of scripts (javascript etc) on a site by site basis.

I've already mentioned McAfee Site Advisor which has a plug-in for Firefox.

You could also try AdBlock Plus not strictly security,but by filtering out adds you remove some re-directed links. Try Filterset G with it, this is a pre-written set of adds that are then blocked by ABP, updated automatically.

Thanks, I've added these on (and yes, FF is awesome!) and hopefully things will run smoother now. I've noticed my computer has been loading slower lately though, could this be due to the Firewall and all the new program installations?

#18 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

Yes, unfortunately the down side of increased protection is a slowdown of your bootup time, as most protection has to be in place when you start your machine. Once booted up however there should be no significant slowing of your system. As a guideline, my computer takes about 2-3 minutes to load, though I have quite an old box, and a much more tied down system than is usual. I often have to investigate some rather seedy sites when researching things.

#19 mcg1555

mcg1555

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

Yes, unfortunately the down side of increased protection is a slowdown of your bootup time, as most protection has to be in place when you start your machine.

Once booted up however there should be no significant slowing of your system.

As a guideline, my computer takes about 2-3 minutes to load, though I have quite an old box, and a much more tied down system than is usual. I often have to investigate some rather seedy sites when researching things.

Ok :), thanks for everything and if I have any more problems I'll make sure to come back to these forums and post a new topic.

#20 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

You're welcome, glad we could help.

Keep safe,

Gary